• The KillerFrogs

The Day the Football died

HFrog1999

tenor.gif

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I can say that because I’ve been reading the research. Covid 19 is not dangerous for young people with healthy immune systems. I’ve been working during this entire “pandemic” and haven’t been sick at all. The 1968 Hong Kong Flu killed a similar amount of Americans based on population as Covid 19 so far.

And you just said it. So far.

I didn’t get sick in 51, 68 nor 09 and haven’t gotten sick this year. I’m not sure that means anything. Again, those were traditional flus that ran their courses. This thing hasn’t shown signs of going away...yet.

lowfrog

We should be allowed to recruit Big 10 and PAC 10 players for immediate playing time. Then our rosters should be allowed to be doubled for this season. That way we can have plenty of players when someone has to quarantine for a couple of weeks. Then ESPN needs to give us all the TV money and the Big 10/PAC 12 needs to die

tenor.gif
Interesting to see if there are going to be any defector schools from the PAC-12/Big 10 conferences for just this year. For example, Nebraska could fire up the communication lines and call the Big 12/SEC conference and individual schools in the Big 12/SEC conferences to arrange play dates. You know, like when your kids go over to another kid's house to play or other kids come over to your house to play with your kids. Schools like Nebraska could take the abandoned non-conference play dates any Big 12/SEC conference school has, thus not messing up the bulk of the in-conference schedule the Big 12 and SEC conferences already have in place. This way, the defector schools get to play at least three - four games this year, some interesting matchups get scheduled, and everybody involved, including TV, benefits.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I’d say you might need to rearrange your priorities, but I don’t pretend to be Dr Phil.

Just count your blessings you don’t live in Indiana where you hope TCU makes a national broadcast to be able to see them, or where people equate TCU with the likes of GCU or don’t know the difference between TSU and TCU or have to remind them our crappy team beat their crappy Purdue and actually beat their Wisky team in the Rose Bowl.

Just sit back and have stress free fall and wait for spring football, if it comes to that. Life is too short. Just a personal opinion...
I was speaking primarily about my relationship with TCU, and little else. And, as it happens, the re-arrangement of priorities when it comes to TCU.

I live in the wilds of south Central Texas, where it doesn't rain, and where we are close enough to their current habitat to see a wild Horned Frog if they ever figure out we have a great huge bunch of harvester ants all over the place. The locals are far more aware of the Frogs than the dolts in Houston, where, as you say, more often than not they got confused with TSU. Mrs. Brewingfrog and I love it here, and have settled in after the tumultuous craziness of last year and the sad beginning of this one. The Ranch is a refuge of sorts, distant from the rest of things, and quiet. Peaceful.

The highlight of the week last was breaking out the telescope and new eyepieces to see Jupiter and Saturn. Viewing conditions were great, and you could easily pick up the breaks in the rings and a few moons.

Tonight we have the Perseid Meteor Shower to take in, provided I can stay up. Should be quite a show!

Life is good. We might even mosey on down a couple of hours and see if Elon can get a rocket off the ground again!

HFrog1999

And you just said it. So far.

I didn’t get sick in 51, 68 nor 09 and haven’t gotten sick this year. I’m not sure that means anything. Again, those were traditional flus that ran their courses. This thing hasn’t shown signs of going away...yet.

The 1968 Hong Kong Flu never went away, it still comes around and is part of the annual Flu shot. I doubt Covid 19 will ever go away either. I nearly died from double pneumonia in 2008 at the age of 31. I almost wasn’t able to get a room at the local hospital because the flu was so bad that year.

Respiratory virus pandemics are nothing new. This hysteria is unprecedented. I suspect it’s either political or a result of our social media culture.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The 1968 Hong Kong Flu never went away, it still comes around and is part of the annual Flu shot. I doubt Covid 19 will ever go away either. I nearly died from double pneumonia in 2008 at the age of 31. I almost wasn’t able to get a room at the local hospital because the flu was so bad that year.

Respiratory virus pandemics are nothing new. This hysteria is unprecedented. I suspect it’s either political or a result of our social media culture.

True, most viruses never go away, but they do wane. Still waiting for this one to.

We sort of got sidetracked since the initial gist of the discussion was whether people were going to turn their backs on their alma mater because of one football season being played in the fall or spring. I’m merely saying it would take a lot more than this to have me turn on TCU.

Stay healthy and it looks like you may not have to worry about fall football now.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I was speaking primarily about my relationship with TCU, and little else. And, as it happens, the re-arrangement of priorities when it comes to TCU.

I live in the wilds of south Central Texas, where it doesn't rain, and where we are close enough to their current habitat to see a wild Horned Frog if they ever figure out we have a great huge bunch of harvester ants all over the place. The locals are far more aware of the Frogs than the dolts in Houston, where, as you say, more often than not they got confused with TSU. Mrs. Brewingfrog and I love it here, and have settled in after the tumultuous craziness of last year and the sad beginning of this one. The Ranch is a refuge of sorts, distant from the rest of things, and quiet. Peaceful.

The highlight of the week last was breaking out the telescope and new eyepieces to see Jupiter and Saturn. Viewing conditions were great, and you could easily pick up the breaks in the rings and a few moons.

Tonight we have the Perseid Meteor Shower to take in, provided I can stay up. Should be quite a show!

Life is good. We might even mosey on down a couple of hours and see if Elon can get a rocket off the ground again!

South of Fayette County? Or farther SW? I come from a long line of Czechs from the greater Hallettsville/Schulenburg metroplex.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Couple of counties south of Schulenberg.

Funny thing, the guy who owns the ranch across the fence to my north is an old banker from Victoria. He's an old Bohemian and can tell you the families that settled in this county and that, and where they came from in the Old Country. My Mother's people came from Austria in the 1890s, so I told him the family name, and old Gilbert says, "Well, you've probably got relations up around Shiner."

Brog

I can say that because I’ve been reading the research. Covid 19 is not dangerous for young people with healthy immune systems. I’ve been working during this entire “pandemic” and haven’t been sick at all. The 1968 Hong Kong Flu killed a similar amount of Americans based on population as Covid 19 so far.

In the US, acc. to govt. statistics, 33,800 died from the Hong Kong flu. That's 52 years ago, so don't know how much smaller our population was.

illini_frog

Hoosier Frog is making the most sense in this forum and since I'm Illini Frog I think I have to duel him for midwest-roots/now a TCU fan supremacy.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
In the US, acc. to govt. statistics, 33,800 died from the Hong Kong flu. That's 52 years ago, so don't know how much smaller our population was.
200 million vs 328 million

If you take into account the numbers killed by that strain and it's various mutations each year since I don't think it's close.

ifrog

I, too, have sat through more than a few stinkeroo games and seasons. Loyal Frog Club Member, gave generously, went to meetings and events. Met all the Usual Suspects. 33 years of holding Season Tickets. The whole re-seating, P.P. fiasco really pissed me off, and the relationship has not been the same since. So, the level of support, shall we say, has dropped considerably.

TCU is no longer the University I attended some 30-odd years ago. Not just the buildings have changed, but the entire outlook and philosophy of the school have shifted and to my mind, not in a positive direction. My voice is not one that they pay attention to, and they have shown that my concerns are met with either indifference or veiled hostility. All well and good. That's their choice.

Having TCU meekly following along with this shutdown of football would be yet another betrayal, not just of me, but the entirety of the fanbase, coaches, players, cheerleaders, Band, etc. Financially, TCU can probably suffer along without football revenue for a season, but then what? How about the other sports?

No, my indifference grows with each little thing. And that's really it; indifference. My Give-A-[ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] Meter just isn't springing around like it once did. Bailing on football is just one more shove away into further indifference.

I'm sorry. I'm just lower than whale-poop with all this nonsense. Football was a shining beacon of hope, and I am firmly convinced that the dolts in charge of this will do the Virtue Signaling Thing and abandon the season, in spite of any and all reason or logic. And if they don't give a crap, why should I?

How embarrassing. Do you need some Kleenex? Do you need a shoulder to cry on? Maybe Mr TCU will let you cry on his shoulder?

What a [ muschi ]. Cry more

Dtx_Frog_Fan

200 million vs 328 million

If you take into account the numbers killed by that strain and it's various mutations each year since I don't think it's close.

CDC estimates range from 34k to 100k, so you have a midpoint of 67k within that range. The more salient reference point is the 1957-58 flu that killed an estimated 116k in the US per CDC estimates. We’re much close in deaths per capita there.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1957-1958-pandemic.html

No cancellations. No lockdowns. No cancelled seasons. What we’re going through right now is something to be taken seriously, but reasonably.