• The KillerFrogs

If fall sports are cancelled, I don't see a way back for years.

Quick note before I begin: This won't devolve into a political post. Anyone that tries to derail this with rehashing political points already well documented in The Pit will get a short vacation. The point of this thread isn't to place blame at the feet of government officials or point fingers at political parties.

-----

Now that the twitter-vine is hyping the "news" that fall sports are on the cusp of being cancelled due to "Covid concerns" I'm left thinking we're not going to see college sports return for years to come. I don't see how administrations who are concerned with a single case of infection can allow sports to return under any circumstance in the future. Even after a vaccine for COVID is available and if it wildly exceeds the efficacy of all other respiratory vaccines currently on the market, it still won't be 100% effective against the virus. In fact, I'd be surprised given the mutation rate of this virus if we see a vaccine that is even 50% effective. So, how can these administrators allow sports to return under those circumstances given the current reasoning? What scenario using the current concerns over liability would ever be considered safe for the players and staff?

I believe this is the line, right now, and we're about to cross it and destroy hundreds of thousands of young lives forever.
I respectfully disagree with your premise.

First of all, there are 7 different vaccines at the phase-3 stage of testing. Astra-Zenica has already indicated that by October, they will have 100 million vials that, if the government approves, will be immediately available for use. So, there will definitely be a vaccine ready for next football season in 2021, even if it is not "100%" (because nothing is 100%, except the certainty that Steelfrog is a moron).

Second, the universities would never give up a cash cow such as college football. In fact, they would not survive without it. As such, I see no way that football is not back next season, along with all of the other sports.

Third, public demand will be outrageous if no football occurs next year. This would cause an even greater shortfall of money, as donations would surely be diminished.

Moose Stuff

I respectfully disagree with your premise.

First of all, there are 7 different vaccines at the phase-3 stage of testing. Astra-Zenica has already indicated that by October, they will have 100 million vials that, if the government approves, will be immediately available for use. So, there will definitely be a vaccine ready for next football season in 2021, even if it is not "100%" (because nothing is 100%, except the certainty that Steelfrog is a moron).

Second, the universities would never give up a cash cow such as college football. In fact, they would not survive without it. As such, I see no way that football is not back next season, along with all of the other sports.

Third, public demand will be outrageous if no football occurs next year. This would cause an even greater shortfall of money, as donations would surely be diminished.
If we don't play football this fall there will be massive numbers of the "other sports" that never come back.

CountryFrog

If the decision is going to be deferred to doctors, there will be no season. In fact, football would probably never be played again, COVID or not, depending on which doctors are listened to.

A better route would be saying "doctors, we're going to play football and we are going to play the other fall sports, period. Make us some recommendations that we can consider in order to make it as safe as reasonably possible." Then if any player wanted to opt out, let them.
Agree.

My whole post was really just a way for me to get in the water gun joke.

tcumaniac

Let's be clear. This is more than just football. Voting to cancel the season will have lasting effect on the entire university. #not1redcent
Not only the entire university, but also the entire surrounding community, especially in more rural college towns. Hotels, retail, and other small business owners will experience devastating effects. Not to mention there are a lot of people whose living depends on the existence of college football.

CountryFrog

Not only the entire university, but also the entire surrounding community, especially in more rural college towns. Hotels, retail, and other small business owners will experience devastating effects. Not to mention there are a lot of people whose living depends on the existence of college football.
Very true. Lots of businesses in Morgantown and towns like that which are almost 100% dependent on the college football season each year to make a profit.