• The KillerFrogs

If fall sports are cancelled, I don't see a way back for years.

YA

Yes, colleges are worried about kids getting sick, but they are REALLY worried about players getting sick and suing the school.

Players and media complained when players were forced to sign liability waivers, but unless there is congressional liability protection across the board, businesses will have to take these type of risks into account. I am not saying one way or another that liability protection should be included or not included in any potential legislation. I am just saying that it is a current factor that schools and businesses have to take into account.
I'm a plaintiff's personal injury lawyer and I know this nation needs Covid-19 liability immunity across the board. This week in Congress is the best bet to get it done. The NCAA is banking on Congress to pass some sort of liability shield to play.

Wexahu

I'm a plaintiff's personal injury lawyer and I know this nation needs Covid-19 liability immunity across the board. This week in Congress is the best bet to get it done. The NCAA is banking on Congress to pass some sort of liability shield to play.

Are you in favor of that happening?

Tumbleweed

Concerning cancellation: Recently the Presidents and AD's have been caught with a cookie jar loaded with with million dollar bills and a conference whose players have demanded a piece of the billion dollar pie made from college sports. In other words the universities knew about this but were not ready for the problems now on top of Covid. What has become apparent to AD's are the number of players in 'every' conference who now support (quietly) the the Pac 12 group. The virus Covid allows a quick excuse to address this growing problem in college athletics with needed discussion. Yesterday afternoon I listened to an ex-college player who became a pro coach who became a head coach in college. (retired recently) He indicated with a few phone calls to friends in the coaching ranks that more and more players were closing ranks on this . Apparently AD's told the Presidents we have a real problem growing and the product we put on the field would become a nightmare in PR. Some of the Pac 12 demands are doable and some are not and apparently the problem is growing and they need time to figure how to these demands-- and Covid gave pause for thought. Believe the Pac 12 conference had less then two weeks to agree and if not, they would not play. (When you pay the head coach at Alabama 9 million dollars and he has 13 game analyst assistants and 5 secretaries, it appears some money is in the grape vine. Or when UT gave each BB player a 43" HD television for their locker, some extra money is available. One player said, just give me the money instead of an HD TV. According to the man I listened to, it gets worst. Realize either way, the athletic programs are going to take less money one way or another. Not an advocate just stating what appears to be obvious to some individuals who play the game.

Could just me, but these two scenarios seem very different:

- Today: Tens of thousands infected daily, no vaccine, 1 or 2 treatments approved.

Sept. 1 2021: (Likely) hundreds infected daily, vaccine rolled out to majority of planet, 3-4 treatments (included tami-flu equivalent) widely available

Don't get me wrong, this isn't my case for not playing this year, just disagreeing with the OP thesis of "we won't be back to normal for multiple years." No it seems like we are on the cusp right now, based on the evidence available.

Froglaw

Boy, you people have no idea what's going on do you?

The movement to collectivize college sports is using COVID to try to leverage their position and the schools are saying No. This isn't about COVID as much as the Haves trying to keep the Have-Nots under their thumb. It's a story as old as the Bible. Or whatever.

And now a word from Planet Steel!