• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Men’s Basketball Leads a Charge for Social Justice

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/7/31/tcu-mens-basketball-leads-a-charge-for-social-justice.aspx

GoFrogs: TCU Men’s Basketball Leads a Charge for Social Justice

FORT WORTH - An unprecedented year has become an important time in this country and the TCU men's basketball team has been doing its part to educate and empower its student-athletes.

Unity March
On June 9, head coach Jamie Dixon and player development coordinator Corey Santee along with members of the TCU women's basketball coaching staff, TCU students, faculty and staff, marched down University Drive in the middle of TCU's campus. The march was organized by student leaders on campus as part of the social justice initiative.

Dixon and the NABC
After assuming the role of NABC President in April, Dixon has overseen numerous changes to college basketball. In June, the National Association of Basketball Coaches formed the NABC Committee on Racial Reconciliation to address issues related to racial injustice both within intercollegiate athletics and society at large.

"The NABC spends significant time on important issues in our sport such as transfers and the recruiting calendar, but they pale in significance to the racial conflicts our country is currently facing and the underlying issues that got us to this point," Dixon said at the time. "Our hope is that this committee and list of recommendations can leverage the platforms we have as coaches to help bring about needed change."

The NABC encouraged all men's basketball coaches to celebrate and educate student-athletes and staff on the significance of Juneteenth, and to urge their institutional leadership to establish Juneteenth as a campus holiday.

Santee Named to TCU Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Athletics Council
In July, Santee was named to the TCU Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Athletics Council. The council was created by TCU Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Jeremiah Donati and is made up of TCU Athletics staff members who will devote their time and energy to help move the athletic department forward and better support TCU student-athletes, coaches and staff.

Dr. James Cash Speaks to the Team
TCU Lettermen's Hall of Famer and men's basketball great Dr. James Cash spoke to the team on race and social justice via Zoom. Cash spoke about his experience as the first African-American basketball player in the Southwest Conference and leading TCU to the 1968 Southwest Conference championship. Cash, who holds the position of James E Robison Professor of Business Administration, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, also spoke about using a TCU education to achieve something meaningful beyond basketball.

Other speakers this summer have included Dr. Darron Turner, TCU's Chief Inclusion Officer and Title IX Coordinator and Eric Wood, Director of TCU Counseling and Mental Health. The team has watched videos on Kobe Bryant, Pastor Brett Fuller who is the Senior Pastor of Grace Covenant Church in Chantilly, Va., LeBron James and John Lewis, a politician and civil-rights leader. TCU will continue to show videos on influential African-Americans.

#TogetherOn3
Senior Owen Aschieris and sophomore Dylan Arnette started a monthly Zoom discussion called Together On 3. The first student-athlete-hosted discussion was on July 29 and was capped at 50 participants, all of whom were TCU student-athletes. The mission is to bring the TCU student body closer together through discussions of race and social justice. Future discussions will include non-student-athletes.

FrogSweep

Leading the charge for social justice? Hmmm. But where is the charge headed? Toward insults to veterans and first responders through disrespect of the flag, pledge, and anthem? Toward divisive cancel culture? Toward speech police censorship? Toward false interpretations of good & bad aspects of our history? Just thought I'd ask.

HG73

Just asking, what is going to happen when George Floyd killer is found innocent? George Floyd was a career criminal who was high on everything from meth to fentanyl to alcohol and more when arrested. So effed up he could not stand upright when placed against a wall. So blasted he was having a panic attack when cuffed in the back of the police car and banging his head on the window injuring himself. If he wasn't asphyxiated by the policeman then he wasn't murdered. Just another career thug going back to jail. This is all going to play out in the trial. Just my opinion.

illini_frog

Just asking, what is going to happen when George Floyd killer is found innocent? George Floyd was a career criminal who was high on everything from meth to fentanyl to alcohol and more when arrested. So effed up he could not stand upright when placed against a wall. So blasted he was having a panic attack when cuffed in the back of the police car and banging his head on the window injuring himself. If he wasn't asphyxiated by the policeman then he wasn't murdered. Just another career thug going back to jail. This is all going to play out in the trial. Just my opinion.

In America we have a thing called due process. You don't get killed on the street by a guy with a blue shirt and a badge kneeling on your neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds.

illini_frog

Leading the charge for social justice? Hmmm. But where is the charge headed? Toward insults to veterans and first responders through disrespect of the flag, pledge, and anthem? Toward divisive cancel culture? Toward speech police censorship? Toward false interpretations of good & bad aspects of our history? Just thought I'd ask.

These are fair questions and BLM definitely has some warts that are fair to point out. But what Dixon and TCU Basketball has done here seem extremely positive to me and not critical of first responders, the flag, or any of that. (veteran here speaking by the way).

LVH

It was an execution in that the cop knew George Floyd as they were in together in money counterfeiting. This is a rabbit hole that goes deep

Paint It Purple

In America we have a thing called due process. You don't get killed on the street by a guy with a blue shirt and a badge kneeling on your neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds.
Right on! Especially if you don’t do stupid crap and put yourself into bad situations that you will regret if still alive.

Paint It Purple

I've done a lot of dumb stuff I regret and never was choked to death face down on the pavement so I'm grateful for the principle of due process.
We both agree that due process works both ways for all involved, right. History proves that an innocent man can be found guilty by the mob, if that’s what the mob wants.

Spike

Well that’s a new one.

I've heard it before. One of the things about this case that sticks out to me is the fact that this cop had been in patrol 18 years w/o a promotion. Then I remembered my own observation that sometimes in law enforcement the part time jobs are the driving force. Even more so if the officer is using the PT job for ill gotten gains. We do not that Floyd and the officer worked together for some time at the PT job (night club I think) so the officers actions were definitely personal.

The counterfeiting angle may be complete BS but it makes for interesting beer conversation.

Paint It Purple

See; The Ox-Bow Incident
“The Ox-Bow Incident”. Good story. Need to find book or find the movie on TCM. Somehow I don’t envision anyone falling on their sword in shame. Rather I see the mob moving on to the next circumstantial evidence to feast upon, as long as the loose details advances their agenda. They care not about the death and destruction in their wake.