• The KillerFrogs

TRC: Now a Cowboy, Former Bengals QB Andy Dalton Is Selling His Cincinnati Home

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Froglaw

No more Skyline.

I had to go take depositions in Cincy.

Complicated case so it was a three day trip.

Lunch break and I told the opposing young associate that I would like to try the Skyline Chili.

"No you don't!".

Puzzled I asked why. Turned out he was from Austin.

"Texans can make Chili, I telling you Cincinnati chili is horrible. Don't waste your money."

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I had to go take depositions in Cincy.

Complicated case so it was a three day trip.

Lunch break and I told the opposing young associate that I would like to try the Skyline Chili.

"No you don't!".

Puzzled I asked why. Turned out he was from Austin.

"Texans can make Chili, I telling you Cincinnati chili is horrible. Don't waste your money."

only if you believe there was a guy named Giovanni running the chuck wagon on the trail drives...

We had a street party where neighbors brought their chili. I put a sign on mine that said “real chili”. Some of the stuff they call chili ranged from soup to spaghetti. My mother’s Family recipe allegedly originated in the Late 1800s in Fayette County. Some liked it some were afraid of it, some thought it was too hot (it was really dumbed down). Someone from Colorado said it was actually chili. I tried telling them pasta in chili is a sacrilege, some got kind of testy.

Eight

only if you believe there was a guy named Giovanni running the chuck wagon on the trail drives...

We had a street party where neighbors brought their chili. I put a sign on mine that said “real chili”. Some of the stuff they call chili ranged from soup to spaghetti. My mother’s Family recipe allegedly originated in the Late 1800s in Fayette County. Some liked it some were afraid of it, some thought it was too hot (it was really dumbed down). Someone from Colorado said it was actually chili. I tried telling them pasta in chili is a sacrilege, some got kind of testy.

if pasta is involved in any way it is noodles and gravy and not chili

FrogAbroad

Ordering Cincinnati chili is based on a specific ingredient series: chili, spaghetti, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onions, and kidney beans. The number before the "way" of the chili determines which ingredients are included in each chili order.
  • Two-way: spaghetti topped with chili (also called "chili spaghetti")
  • Three-way: spaghetti, chili, and cheese
  • Four-way onion: spaghetti, chili, onions, and cheese
  • Four-way bean: spaghetti, chili, beans, and cheese
  • Five-way: spaghetti, chili, beans, onions, and cheese
I've tried the five-way...it was okay, but...once was enough.

Froglaw

So...Wick Fowlers will have to do for lunch.

Why is it necessary to "force" me to crave this?:p

I keep several boxes of Wick Fowler's in my pantry. It's fast when I'm in the mood for venison Chili and I don't have to measure, but I still doctor the heck out of it.

When I can start sober and have an entire afternoon, then I start with my New Mexico Chili powder and tailor it to the audience.

Venison makes the best chili because it has no fat.

Anyone puts beans in chili should be taken out to my deer lease and never seen again. Just saying!

HToady

Skyline chili sucks. There a lot better places to eat there. Especially along Pete Rose Way (if they still call it that, and across the river in Covington, KY. There is an old inn in Lebanon, (The Golden Lamb) that has amazing food.

Skyline reminds me of The Varsity in Atlanta. Over crowded, over rated, not very good......

HG73

I keep several boxes of Wick Fowler's in my pantry. It's fast when I'm in the mood for venison Chili and I don't have to measure, but I still doctor the heck out of it.

When I can start sober and have an entire afternoon, then I start with my New Mexico Chili powder and tailor it to the audience.

Venison makes the best chili because it has no fat.

Anyone puts beans in chili should be taken out to my deer lease and never seen again. Just saying!
Just asking, being born and raised in FW I have had my share of chili. And made my share. As we all know properly prepared chili can have gastrointestinal effects that are incendiary. What is wrong with adding a little fiber to help move the process along. Beans have little/no taste when added to chili. I mean it's not like we're arguing Whataburger and In and Out.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Just asking, being born and raised in FW I have had my share of chili. And made my share. As we all know properly prepared chili can have gastrointestinal effects that are incendiary. What is wrong with adding a little fiber to help move the process along. Beans have little/no taste when added to chili. I mean it's not like we're arguing Whataburger and In and Out.

There is a book out there somewhere about southwest foods and historians apparently agree chili began with Hispanic chuck wagon cooks on trail drives. Chili began with whatever was on hand, goat, deer, beef, onions, Camino (cumin), maybe garlic and usually dried beans and chili peppers. Bottom line (other than spaghetti and cinnamon)put in what you like, leave out what you don’t.

My mother was from south central a Texas and claimed her grandmothers recipe came from the late 1800s and it had beans. Just saying...

FrogAbroad

There is a book out there somewhere about southwest foods and historians apparently agree chili began with Hispanic chuck wagon cooks on trail drives. Chili began with whatever was on hand, goat, deer, beef, onions, Camino (cumin), maybe garlic and usually dried beans and chili peppers. Bottom line (other than spaghetti and cinnamon)put in what you like, leave out what you don’t.

My mother was from south central a Texas and claimed her grandmothers recipe came from the late 1800s and it had beans. Just saying...

"With or Without Beans" by Joe E Cooper, published 1952, is my chili Bible. I've been reading, following and tweaking Cooper's advice and recipes since my early teens. It's a great resource for a chilihead.

His counsel on beans is to cook them separately and add when served. Beans are high carb and as such will take away from the spices if added too early, and can make your chili resemble bean soup.

iu

Last edited:

Paul in uhh

Skyline chili sucks. There a lot better places to eat there. Especially along Pete Rose Way (if they still call it that, and across the river in Covington, KY. There is an old inn in Lebanon, (The Golden Lamb) that has amazing food.

Skyline reminds me of The Varsity in Atlanta. Over crowded, over rated, not very good......
Plus 4 on The Varsity. Staff super rude there too.