• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Eight

Just had a depressing realization. The time between my 18th birthday and today is longer than the time between D-Day and the day I was born.

edit: texted that to my dad and he was not impressed. Said it happened to him before his 4th birthday.

giphy.gif

tcudoc

I don’t think we could be friends. lol.

When Covid started my brother, a friend and myself would have a few beers and Zoom over discussing “lists”, because, everyone loves lists. We had a great time until one of us actually had to go back to work and we couldn’t sit with an 12 pack on Zoom on a Tuesday evening.
Topics we covered,
Top 10 All time : bands, songs, movies, comedy movies, sports movies, movie performances. FroginLaw really wouldn’t like my bands list. Very Grunge heavy.

Let’s give it a start so this thread stays at the top of the page. Take your time, think about it.

My top 10 song list (we agreed not to repeat a band):
1. One, Metallica
2. Better Man, Pearl Jam
3. If I Ever Leave this World Alive, Flogging Molly
4. Opiate, Tool
5. Tyler, Toadies
6. Bulls on Parade, Rage Against the Machine
7. Romeo & Juliet, Dire Straits
8. Rockin in the Free World, Neil Young
9. Memory Motel, Rollong Stones
10. Streets Have No Name, u2
I like that your list contains a bunch of deep cuts that are not each band’s most famous songs.
Dire Straits is a great band. My favorites from them are Skateaway and The Man’s Too Strong, which is a deep cut off of their Brothers In Arms album. A lot of people don’t know the song but, wow, it is a good one.
We like a lot of the same bands with the exception of of Tool and RATM. I just never got into them.
If you are ever in the Austin area and get a chance to see Bob Schneider, definitely do it. He has a modest national following but a huge Austin following. His concerts are typically small intimate venues of a few hundred, although he can fill the bigger venues like Paramount as well. His fans are super loyal and many have seen him 50+ times. His shows are like a mix of a music concert and a comedy show.

The Last Bandoleros is a young band that toured with Sting. They are an awesome mix of rock and tejano contrary music. Not typically my style, but they are outstanding.

Peter Gabriel is my all time favorite. Still have not seen him live as he has limited US tours. That guy is a musical genius in my opinion.

John Waite, formerly of the Baby’s and Bad English, is also a favorite. He is pushing 70 and still has one of the best rock and roll voices around. If you want an example, watch YouTube where he covers Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love. Most people know him for his ballads like Missing you and When I See You Smile, but he can belt out a classic rock song as good as anybody.
Lou Gramm of Foreigner is another great, under appreciated voice of classic rock. His solo songs Midnight Blue and Just Between Me and You are outstanding. One of those would likely make my top ten list.

Horny 4 Life

Lpet’s give it a start so this thread stays at the top of the page. Take your time, think about it.

My top 10 song list (we agreed not to repeat a band):

Not a ton of thought put into it and no particular order here:

My Girl - Temptations
House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
Ballad of Curtis Loew - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Flicker and Shine - Old Crow Medicine Show
Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
Born Too Late - The Clarks
Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Alabama Song - The Doors
Digging Up Bones - Randy Travis

Ron Swanson

I like that your list contains a bunch of deep cuts that are not each band’s most famous songs.
Dire Straits is a great band. My favorites from them are Skateaway and The Man’s Too Strong, which is a deep cut off of their Brothers In Arms album. A lot of people don’t know the song but, wow, it is a good one.
We like a lot of the same bands with the exception of of Tool and RATM. I just never got into them.
If you are ever in the Austin area and get a chance to see Bob Schneider, definitely do it. He has a modest national following but a huge Austin following. His concerts are typically small intimate venues of a few hundred, although he can fill the bigger venues like Paramount as well. His fans are super loyal and many have seen him 50+ times. His shows are like a mix of a music concert and a comedy show.

The Last Bandoleros is a young band that toured with Sting. They are an awesome mix of rock and tejano contrary music. Not typically my style, but they are outstanding.

Peter Gabriel is my all time favorite. Still have not seen him live as he has limited US tours. That guy is a musical genius in my opinion.

John Waite, formerly of the Baby’s and Bad English, is also a favorite. He is pushing 70 and still has one of the best rock and roll voices around. If you want an example, watch YouTube where he covers Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love. Most people know him for his ballads like Missing you and When I See You Smile, but he can belt out a classic rock song as good as anybody.
Lou Gramm of Foreigner is another great, under appreciated voice of classic rock. His solo songs Midnight Blue and Just Between Me and You are outstanding. One of those would likely make my top ten list.
My buddy had his reception at the FW Zoo and had Bob Schneider play. He was good.

tcudoc

My buddy had his reception at the FW Zoo and had Bob Schneider play. He was good.
I have seen him 4 times in the last 3 years. Every show is different. I have seen him with a full band and string/horn section, just him and another guy with a guitar (who was really good) and once as a guy with a guitar, a piano, and keyboards. He is a master with the loop pedal and can make it sound like he has a full band by adding in loops.
He also does this thing where he writes a new song every day. So, if you see him in concert, you will likely hear some of those songs. Some are really good. He also crosses multiple genres. His rap/hip hop stuff is surprisingly good, in a Flight of the Conchords kind of way. I like that he does not take himself too seriously and ventures out into areas that no one else would.
His grassroots connection with his fans is really cool as well. He has an assistant that works the merch table and they record every show. At the ned of any of his shows, you can go to the merch table and, within about 30 minutes, you can buy a digital recording of the show that you just listened to on a flash drive. The flashdrive I bought must have been unsold from a Wisconsin show because it had the full concert from Green Bay. That was a really good show and had a song I have never heard anywhere else by him that is likely my favorite. You can also purchase any show off of his website.
He does grassroots marketing very well and builds a lot of fan loyalty. It allows him to mostly play local so that he sleeps in his own bed at night, despite playing a couple hundred shows a year. Not a bad gig for a performer.

Last edited:

ftwfrog

Not a ton of thought put into it and no particular order here:

My Girl - Temptations
House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
Ballad of Curtis Loew - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Flicker and Shine - Old Crow Medicine Show
Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
Born Too Late - The Clarks
Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Alabama Song - The Doors
Digging Up Bones - Randy Travis
Some good ones on there but you spelled Nine Inch Nails wrong. Underrated talent, Trent Reznor.

ftwfrog

Dire Straits has some great ones and the one that everyone knows is there worst. Money For Nothing gets changed anytime it comes on. That song was a beating.

Eight

Buddy of mine came across a couple of super old sets of golf clubs. Heading to the driving range tomorrow morning with some beers before we hit a patio for lunch. I haven’t hit a golf ball in 20 years; gonna be a blast.

if the woods aren't actually wood the set isn't that old