• The KillerFrogs

FWST: After mounting frustrations, TCU gives faculty option to teach remotely in fall

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
After mounting frustrations, TCU gives faculty option to teach remotely in fall

By Drew Davison

With faculty members expressing their displeasure in recent days, TCU decided Thursday to allow faculty the option to teach classes this fall remotely amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Before Thursday, faculty members had to apply for special accommodations and be approved to teach remotely to do so.

TCU Faculty Senate chair Sean Atkinson told the Star-Telegram earlier Thursday that some faculty members preferred returning to campus in the fall, while others preferred teaching remotely as they have done since mid-March.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/education/article243812257.html#storylink=cpy

TCUdirtbag

Bad headline in The Chronicle. It’ll blow over.

All because a faculty member who has a legit reason to request to teach remotely this fall filled out the wrong paperwork and threw a temper tantrum on social media instead of taking a hot second and talking to someone in HR. Turned into a SJW cause on twitter and a Chronicle article.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Bad headline in The Chronicle. It’ll blow over.

All because a faculty member who has a legit reason to request to teach remotely this fall filled out the wrong paperwork and threw a temper tantrum on social media instead of taking a hot second and talking to someone in HR. Turned into a SJW cause on twitter and a Chronicle article.
Link to social media meltdown? I love a good meltdown.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Faculty don't realize (probably because most of them are ignorant of economics) that forcing schools to continue with remote learning will eventually mean the loss of their jobs. Perhaps not their's specifically, but many faculty are about to be out of a job in a year. Students, and parents, do not want to pay the ridiculous amount of tuition these colleges ask for remote learning. Even at the community college level where I work I have students complaining about paying for remote learning, I can only imagine university students are more upset by the prospect of another semester/year of online classes.

Limp Lizard

Faculty don't realize (probably because most of them are ignorant of economics) that forcing schools to continue with remote learning will eventually mean the loss of their jobs. Perhaps not their's specifically, but many faculty are about to be out of a job in a year. Students, and parents, do not want to pay the ridiculous amount of tuition these colleges ask for remote learning. Even at the community college level where I work I have students complaining about paying for remote learning, I can only imagine university students are more upset by the prospect of another semester/year of online classes.

So simply lecture-based classes I don't see the problem, especially is it is something like zoom where students can ask questions. One-on-one office hours can be on line. But if there are no options, I don't see students leaving. Where are they going to go? A good instructor is still a good instructor.

In the sciences and engineering where there are labs, that will be a problem. Labs will have to take place. Probably more labs with the students being more spaced apart. Also the hard science faculty also are doing research and writing papers. That can't be done at home. The hands-on stuff for the engineering and science students must take place at the school's facilities.

20 years ago when my daughter was attending TCU (or 55 years ago when I was attending TCU), this online learning would have been clumsey (for my daughter) or impossible (for me.)

helcap

And yet there is a thread on here linking to a article where they are already complaining about compensation. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing the Univ. of Phoenix et al don't pay as well as TCU or its peers.

Moose Stuff

Nailed it.

BABYFACE

So simply lecture-based classes I don't see the problem, especially is it is something like zoom where students can ask questions. One-on-one office hours can be on line. But if there are no options, I don't see students leaving. Where are they going to go? A good instructor is still a good instructor.

In the sciences and engineering where there are labs, that will be a problem. Labs will have to take place. Probably more labs with the students being more spaced apart. Also the hard science faculty also are doing research and writing papers. That can't be done at home. The hands-on stuff for the engineering and science students must take place at the school's facilities.

20 years ago when my daughter was attending TCU (or 55 years ago when I was attending TCU), this online learning would have been clumsey (for my daughter) or impossible (for me.)
Not that I disagree with your premise, but I am not paying full tuition for that. Secondly, in person instruction still has advantages and still the best.

Personal experience during this time : Zoom meetings have not worked as well as true in person meetings. Better than no meeting.

Last edited:

Eight

Not disagree with your premise, but I am not paying full tuition for that. Secondly, in person instruction still has advantages and still the best.

Personal experience during this time : Zoom meetings have not worked as well as true in person meetings. Better than no meeting.

this, zoom sucks on an epic level and i think there are certain things you just can't do from a distance.

sold things are difficult to sell over the phone and in a video conference we have seen people's attention isn't the same. heck, half the time i am posting here i am listening to some compliance call or carrier pod /video cast.

our son is project manager for a firm that contract work for a couple of fortune 500's and last year traveled a good day simply to be on site and make sure installations and updates were done properly.

on paper it was wasted time and money except that he will tell you that the some of the firms they sub work to just aren't on point if you aren't there over their shoulder and resolving problems as become much more cumbersome

Higher education—among many other industries—will be forever changed AC (After COVID). Perhaps for the better.

Matt Damon (in Good Will Hunting) said it best: “You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.” Substitute library with iPhone/Internet and $150,000 for $250,000.

Eight

Higher education—among many other industries—will be forever changed AC (After COVID). Perhaps for the better.

Matt Damon (in Good Will Hunting) said it best: “You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.” Substitute library with iPhone/Internet and $150,000 for $250,000.

giphy.gif

Pharm Frog

If my (or my kid's) classes are being taught remotely there is literally a zero percent chance I'm paying the normal price for said classes. Lower the cost or I'm out.

Hate to break it to you but most actually charge MORE for online courses through a "distance learning" or "technology" fee applied for sections taught online. At least this is the way it was two years ago when Daughter ended up with four of six classes online and the cost was higher because of it.