• The KillerFrogs

Fred's at TCU

tcumaniac

RE: the Hoffbrau operators straight not wanting a location on University and the Trinity River.
tenor.gif
Sure. It's extremely desirable from purely a location perspective, but every location comes with its respective issues- parking availability, size of the property, market rent, condition of the building, property taxes, etc. This becomes even more pertinent if, say, you have an absolute lease where the tenant is responsible for everything.

Brog

I'm very familiar with the situation. Every single one of your listed assumptions (while not unreasonable to assume) is completely incorrect.

Probably not my place to share anything else on here. But there's much more to the story than it being a mean, greedy landlord that kicked poor ol' Hoffbrau to the curb.

Don't suppose you might share with us what you know about "much more to the story"?

frogs9497

Maybe IHOP moves a couple of blocks over for a spot on the river. (pffft)

Anyone know what's going up across from Hoffbrau (east side of University)?

Last edited:

SuperBarrFrog

Same for me. Regarding the Hard Rock, the food is an afterthought. I go mainly to view the memorabilia...but it's been awhile since I went to one.
They are building a hard rock hotel across from my place. It blocks about 3/4 of my view of Mercedes Benz stadium, so it better be cool when it opens.
F464649F-EFBE-4290-AA6D-CBA329D7C640.jpeg

BABYFACE

Have seen both sides of the story when it comes to tenants and holding companies/landlords.

Most commonly, the landlord is overvaluing their property and tenants leave because it becomes no longer a profitable situation. Then the tenant moves out and the space sits vacant for 1-2 years. Well, that didn’t go so well for the landlord, did it? But that is common with big holding companies. Logic is not applicable with them.

From a logic standpoint: If the landlord thinks they should get a higher rent but the tenant is not willing. Give the tenant 6 month extensions until the space is leased out. Landlord gets the higher rent on next tenant but doesn’t lose rent with space sitting vacant.

Another issue is overvalued property where profitability over the long haul is not sustainable for a chunk of businesses. Again, holding companies would rather have vacant spots than adjust. The hotel industry model does pretty well with adjusting to demand. An empty room is zero income generated. A discounted room is better than a empty room.

Brog

Maybe IHOP moves a couple of blocks over for a spot on the river. (pffft)

Anyone know what's going up across from Hoffbrau (east side of University)?

I've heard that it's a pretty good sized hotel. Will come in not long after our new TCU hotel on Berry street opens.

Sorry. Last sentence wasn't necessarily directed at you. I've just seen that become the primary narrative that's been going around town, and one that has been expressed on this board a number of times.

And you're spot on. A lot less sympathy going around for landlords that are losing their asses too right now. Many tenants, for right or wrong, are attempting to take advantage of Covid-19 by re-negotiating into long term sweetheart deals that excessively benefit them relative to the hopefully short term pain this pandemic has caused.

Btw, haven't had any issues with traffic at the [ Finebaum ]ters since everyone left.

No, that's in the existing space where Tom Thumb and Fresh Market were. My office is literally right above it.

He's talking about there the old motel was. It will be more retail and restaurants.

What I've been told is that Trademark would like a boutique hotel in part of that space and move Silver Fox as part of it. Silver Fox spent a significant amount of money updating their current space a few years ago and is balking. Trademark needs that footprint for more parking.

Wexahu

No, that's in the existing space where Tom Thumb and Fresh Market were. My office is literally right above it.

He's talking about there the old motel was. It will be more retail and restaurants.

What I've been told is that Trademark would like a boutique hotel in part of that space and move Silver Fox as part of it. Silver Fox spent a significant amount of money updating their current space a few years ago and is balking. Trademark needs that footprint for more parking.

Yep, that's right. I had the wrong deal. Some pretty horrible timing for them, it will surely get modified/watered down I would think.