• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

jake102

Then everyone will complain when the degree doesn’t hand them the job/salary they think they are worth because they watched videos online.

I feel like that ship started to sail in the last ten years. The absurd economy has buffered a lot of it, but plenty of degrees out there that are worth very little, in person or not.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I feel like that ship started to sail in the last ten years. The absurd economy has buffered a lot of it, but plenty of degrees out there that are worth very little, in person or not.
Yes, so many useless degrees.

I’m saying you need to meet people, learn how to interact with them, build a network, etc to supplement the degree. Very few degrees are going to get you In the door by themselves.

jake102

you need to meet people, build a network. Very few degrees are going to get you In the door by themselves.

My biggest mistake of college... didn't make near enough connections because I already knew multiple people from HS coming to TCU. Was great strengthening those friendships but should have made others also. Fortunately I got a degree (and then another) that got me in the door by itself.

Eight

Yes, so many useless degrees.

I’m saying you need to meet people, learn how to interact with them, build a network, etc to supplement the degree. Very few degrees are going to get you In the door by themselves.

why would anyone need to interact with anyone anymore?

simply do everything via zoom and text and email......

Peacefrog

Degenerate
My biggest mistake of college... didn't make near enough connections because I already knew multiple people from HS coming to TCU. Was great strengthening those friendships but should have made others also. Fortunately I got a degree (and then another) that got me in the door by itself.
I didn’t know a soul at TCU when I got there and was on the other side of the country from home. I had no choice but to build a network.

As an employer, a degree mostly shows that you exhibited the perseverance that a person without one doesn't show....something that an employer wants in their work product. The difference in schools is the extent of said perseverance.

Also, the construction workers were back on the stadium this morning.
I admire this approach but I take the Elon Musk approach. Don't care a lick abt the bona fides. Harvard, cool. TCU, cool. GED, cool. My hiring process: What will you do for US (= me and you) and how can I help you succeed? That's the question I ask.

Oh, and also if they're a fan of Schitt's Creek. Wife makes me ask that question.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I admire this approach but I take the Elon Musk approach. Don't care a lick abt the bona fides. Harvard, cool. TCU, cool. GED, cool. My hiring process: What will you do for US (= me and you) and how can I help you succeed? That's the question I ask.

Oh, and also if they're a fan of Schitt's Creek. Wife makes me ask that question.
At my firm I have some amazing employees that never went to college and are very successful. I have some degreed employees that are terrible.

But, in general, the ones with degrees write better than those that don’t have them. At least that’s been my observation over the past twenty years or so.

Moose Stuff

I basically just ask people if they're team Johnny/Cobra Kai or team Daniel/Miyagi. If they say Daniel they're out. I also like to go into detail with them on their thoughts on the odds that Daniel actually could have beaten Dutch in the semis.

HToady

As an employer, a degree mostly shows that you exhibited the perseverance that a person without one doesn't show....something that an employer wants in their work product. The difference in schools is the extent of said perseverance.
I failed to mention....”unless they went to Baylor, then I don’t hire them at all....”

Froggish

Also, the construction workers were back on the stadium this morning.

Ive been in a hiring role in corporate America for the last 20+ years and used that perseverance line often...The truth is I’m not sure there is any real substance to it. I guess I don’t believe it anymore. I’m finding young graduates to be less capable of fitting into corporate life than ever. Not because they aren’t smart, but because they seem to be less interested in the growth trajectory of corporate life. They are all to impatient to dig their heels in.

Last edited:

Purp

Ive been in a hiring roll in corporate America for the last 20+ years and used that perseverance line often...The truth is I’m not sure there is any real substance to it. I guess I don’t believe it anymore. I’m finding young graduates to be less capable of fitting into corporate life than ever. Not because they aren’t smart, but because they seem to be less interested in the growth trajectory of corporate life. They are all to impatient to dig their heels in.
Hiring roll? Too much yeast?

Latest posts