• The KillerFrogs

The Greatest Horned Frog Fan ever has Leaped on

Purp

My Dad, Leap Frog, passed away overnight. His first TCU game was age 5, 1935 -- Sammy Baugh and the Frogs vs. SMU in what was "The Game of the Century." As a boy, dad would gather up scrap metal on game days to pay for his ticket, and maybe stop for lunch on his walk to TCU. He'd later have to hitchhike from Dallas. Dad rooted for the Frogs in all sports the rest of his life. He had more knowledge about TCU sports than anyone except maybe just maybe Dan Jenkins his own self. Dad could not come to any more games beginning in 2017. Just watched from his recliner, and of course, chimed in here on the forum. He stuck with the Frogs all through the bad old days when we boys were growing up. But he also made us loyal to the Frogs. Thank you for that, Dad, and everything else. (Including not taking that scholarship to pitch at SMU.)

True story here. We got almost 15 bonus years with Dad after a ruptured aneurysm in late '05. Remember, Coach P was up for another job following that great season. When the anesthesia wore off from a life-saving emergency surgery, some of Dad's first words were, "Do we still have Patterson?"

My Dad, Leap Frog, was the best!
SMU had a baseball team?

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know he was special to you and your family.

Frog DJ

Deepest condolences and heartfelt prayers to you Shreve. Your dad was a one-of-a-kind Frog!

After one of his posts in which he related a story of a game I attended as a kid I sent him a private message and told him my name and background. I thought perhaps we had known each other "in a former life."

He graciously informed me that he had about 20 years on me (and I'm an old!), but we traded stories back and forth for a couple of days, and I thoroughly enjoyed every time we had occasion to share.

Leap was a first-hand witness to the early glory days of TCU football, its descent into oblivion and its rise from the ashes - all in-person, with his own eyes. Very few Frog fans left alive can boast of that.

A sad day to be sure, but he'd be the first one to insist I close this post with -

Go Frogs!

crankuptheenolagay

My Dad, Leap Frog, passed away overnight. His first TCU game was age 5, 1935 -- Sammy Baugh and the Frogs vs. SMU in what was "The Game of the Century." As a boy, dad would gather up scrap metal on game days to pay for his ticket, and maybe stop for lunch on his walk to TCU. He'd later have to hitchhike from Dallas. Dad rooted for the Frogs in all sports the rest of his life. He had more knowledge about TCU sports than anyone except maybe just maybe Dan Jenkins his own self. Dad could not come to any more games beginning in 2017. Just watched from his recliner, and of course, chimed in here on the forum. He stuck with the Frogs all through the bad old days when we boys were growing up. But he also made us loyal to the Frogs. Thank you for that, Dad, and everything else. (Including not taking that scholarship to pitch at SMU.)

True story here. We got almost 15 bonus years with Dad after a ruptured aneurysm in late '05. Remember, Coach P was up for another job following that great season. When the anesthesia wore off from a life-saving emergency surgery, some of Dad's first words were, "Do we still have Patterson?"

My Dad, Leap Frog, was the best!

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Gerry! As devastating as the loss of your father is, I Know you'll carry his torch well!

ShreveFrog

SMU had a baseball team?

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know he was special to you and your family.
Yes, Dad said SMU didn’t support its program real well. They basically only recruited the Dallas schools. Dad would’ve graduated high school in 1947 or 48. I remember him taking me to watch TCU vs SMU in the 1970s at Rivershon (?) park. Dad said he played some semi pro ball in that same park. Not sure when SMU ended baseball.
At some point Dad mentioned playing in games against Bobby Lane and Kyle Rote.

Eight

Yes, Dad said SMU didn’t support its program real well. They basically only recruited the Dallas schools. Dad would’ve graduated high school in 1947 or 48. I remember him taking me to watch TCU vs SMU in the 1970s at Rivershon (?) park. Dad said he played some semi pro ball in that same park. Not sure when SMU ended baseball.

believe they dropped it in 1979-80 and kept men's soccer

Purp

I was adding a little levity at SMU's expense during an obviously difficult time. Figured you could use a chuckle. I appreciate the story, though. Sounds like a very neat man.

froginmn

Deepest condolences and heartfelt prayers to you Shreve. Your dad was a one-of-a-kind Frog!

After one of his posts in which he related a story of a game I attended as a kid I sent him a private message and told him my name and background. I thought perhaps we had known each other "in a former life."

He graciously informed me that he had about 20 years on me (and I'm an old!), but we traded stories back and forth for a couple of days, and I thoroughly enjoyed every time we had occasion to share.

Leap was a first-hand witness to the early glory days of TCU football, its descent into oblivion and its rise from the ashes - all in-person, with his own eyes. Very few Frog fans left alive can boast of that.

A sad day to be sure, but he'd be the first one to insist I close this post with -

Go Frogs!
Hearing that Frog DJ is old always draws a like from me.

Brog

Well, don't know for sure who he was, but I'm sorry for his loss. He and I probably crossed paths somewhere at TCU. The first TCU game I attended as a 17 year old student was TCU/Arkansas, October 1948, , and they beat us. We had already won two away games, at Kansas (14-13) and at OkState (21-14). Went on to. be a 4-5-1 season, but we beat the Aggies 21-14 and tied SMU 7-7. Despite up and down times, those were sure good years at TCU, and I know I share them with him. Blessings on him and you and the family, and now let's see who's next.

Last edited: