• The KillerFrogs

Thomas Paine Nailed It......

"These are the times that try men's souls"

Coronavirus Plague, Stock Market Implosion, Russian-Saudi Oil Impasse, Imposed Public Lockdowns......

What's Next?

Eight

Coronavirus Plague, Stock Market Implosion, Russian-Saudi Oil Impasse, Imposed Public Lockdowns......

What's Next?

when you consider some prior periods of time experienced on earth this really isn't that bad.

please let me know when it looks like this

bring-out-your-dead-gif.gif

Brog

What's Next?

Some are old enough to remember 1942 in the good old USA. And the next two years. Just over 405,000 US died in the war, mostly young men. But dammit, the Masters golf tournament has been cancelled, and the NBA won't put out a bracket. Oh, the humanity!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Some are old enough to remember 1942 in the good old USA. And the next two years. Just over 405,000 US died in the war, mostly young men. But dammit, the Masters golf tournament has been cancelled, and the NBA won't put out a bracket. Oh, the humanity!
Yes, as Sir Laurence Olivier narrated in the excellent BBC series, World at War, the period of 1942-44 was deep war with many battles in the air & sea in Europe and on many islands in the Pacific. Utter defeat was beaten away but there was no impending Victory, it was truly a grinding series of bloody battles, sacrifice & suffering.

Frog DJ

Yes, as Sir Laurence Olivier narrated in the excellent BBC series, World at War, the period of 1942-44 was deep war with many battles in the air & sea in Europe and on many islands in the Pacific. Utter defeat was beaten away but there was no impending Victory, it was truly a grinding series of bloody battles, sacrifice & suffering.
Those of us born after WWII have no earthly idea what that generation endured...

Go Frogs!

Brog

Here's a TCU graduate, BS, 1941.
Murray Charlton McKinney

HOME OF RECORD:
Sulphur Springs, Texas

AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION: 1 of 1
18-medal.png

Distinguished Flying Cross
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War II
Service: Navy
GENERAL ORDERS:

Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 325 (April 1944)

CITATION:
The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Flying Cross (Posthumously) to Lieutenant, Junior Grade Murray Charlton McKinney (NSN: 0-114265), United States Navy, for extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight during action against Japanese forces off Kahili, 7 July 1943. Lieutenant, Junior Grade, McKinney scored a direct hit with a 2,000-pound bomb and probably sank a Japanese destroyer. Although an enemy plane subsequently killed his turret gunner and shot away his radio and controls, he flew 300 miles to his home base and crash landed in the sea. McKinney was a 1941 graduate of Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas.

SEE

DickBumpastache

It’s kinda weird to downplay a massive pandemic with unthinkable economic implications (not to mention the hundreds of thousands/millions that will die globally), but consider that Americans in their 20s/30s/40s have lived in a country that has been at war for virtually their entire lives and is now undergoing a 2nd worldwide financial crisis in the span of decade where they should be either starting their careers, accumulating personal wealth, or beginning to prepare for retirement.

Now back to the Good Ol Days Syndrome Theater!

Brog

It’s kinda weird to downplay a massive pandemic with unthinkable economic implications (not to mention the hundreds of thousands/millions that will die globally), but consider that Americans in their 20s/30s/40s have lived in a country that has been at war for virtually their entire lives and is now undergoing a 2nd worldwide financial crisis in the span of decade where they should be either starting their careers, accumulating personal wealth, or beginning to prepare for retirement.

Now back to the Good Ol Days Syndrome Theater!

Trying to figure out who is trying to "downplay" this massive pandemic.

Frog-in-law1995

Well, I hate getting this much credit for something I didn’t do. That was really, truly a story in SI. I remember the title from when I had a subscription in my early teens, though I think it was just a reference to the story, which was written many years earlier. The play on words has just stuck in my head for 30+ years.

Don’t be confused into thinking you’re back to being worthy, however.