• The KillerFrogs

FW Star-Telegram Owner Declares Bankruptcy

Froggish

We have reached a point where news good or bad is delivered with such velocity that it makes no since to utilize a paper delivery method. Local newspapers need to go pure digital and concentrate exclusively on high quality localized content. I think many would pay for well informed and well written FW specific content. It takes big money to be all things to all people and it’s an endeavor that will always be eroded by poor quality control.

6Frog6

Sad to see the demise of the Star Telegram. Back in the dark ages I was a carrier for the Press and later the Star Telegram with both morning and evening editions as well as the Sunday paper. I subscribed to the Star Telegram Sunday edition by mail when I was in Vietnam so I could keep up with TCU sports and some local news. As most of you know, the Press back in the '50s had real sports writers such as Dan Jenkins. Now, I get the DMN and the Wall St Journal. The outlying towns in the DFW area are really dependent on the DMN for any local news, etc.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
If you want a struggling Dallas paper to cover Fort Worth and TCU with another edition, that will never happen. Was already tried back in the day and both papers failed in their attempts to do this.

The reality is the DMN were to buy the Star-T, it would just to buy the subscription base and a few local reporters. Coverage of Fort Worth and TCU would be pathetic to non-existent.
That last sentence sounds like the local paper.

hometown frog

Social media is not in depth reporting and journalism. Some may think that it is, but it is not.

Social media has not come close to what newspapers were before their decline. You can make the argument against the current state of newspapers because papers have declined to rubbish.

Being 55, I have witnessed when everyone had a newspaper subscription and when it was the number one advertising vehicle for local businesses. I have watched their decline and the advent of social media. Social media has not come close to replacing replacing what newspapers used to be.

But it does not matter what I say, because if one does not have the frame of reference or seeing what a paper was 15-20 years ago, it is mythology to them. Journalism is dead. Narrative agenda has taken over and no one vetts info with three credible sources before publishing that info anymore. Likes and dislikes, upvotes and downvotes is where society is currently at. So, it is all moot point now.

kinda saying the same things I think. Simply telling me about the game last night in terms of stats and scores I’ll get from twitter. Telling me about the work the pitcher put in during the offseason to rebuild his curve w the help of a former HOF pitcher would be something a journalist assigned to the team would provide. (Although depending upon the topic my twitter feed is full of REALLY in depth threads that typically go WAY deeper than print media from the 80s, which is as far back as I’ll go as an active consumer of print media)

Dogfrog

Can’t help but believe there is an untapped market here for a high quality, intensely FW-centric rag. Nothing fancy, just start as a six pager. If we got solid unbiased reporting on our local govt, courts, sports, entertainment, human interest etc. broken down in depth by neighborhoods I’d subscribe and read it every day. If nothing else I miss it with morning coffee. I think the ad revenue potential in a growing community like ours is decent.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Can’t help but believe there is an untapped market here for a high quality, intensely FW-centric rag. Nothing fancy, just start as a six pager. If we got solid unbiased reporting on our local govt, courts, sports, entertainment, human interest etc. broken down in depth by neighborhoods I’d subscribe and read it every day. If nothing else I miss it with morning coffee. I think the ad revenue potential in a growing community like ours is decent.
Somebody is trying a news reporting vehicle like that, based in Fort Worth: https://thetexan.news/

There is a hunger for actual news out there, and the Usual Sources have long since abandoned coverage of State and Local stories in favor of AP wires and other distantly produced content. Of course, I couldn't imagine siting through the monstrous boredom of a Commissioner's Court hearing so I'm glad somebody else is willing to do so...

Froginbedford

This morning's paper had no story about Saturday's TCU baseball or basketball game. What time is their cutoff, noon?

The story about Friday's baseball game reported that TCU would play Kentucky Saturday....The story was in print today....FWST rolls off the presses around midnight, I suspect....With digital filing, reporters might have a final deadline about 9 p.m.....Writers for print are going to have to learn to write about the future and largely ignore the past, regretably.....

robbroyy

They used to offer so many free articles online a month. Now it looks like they’ve changed that the last 2 months. There’s no way to get unbiased stories now. Very disappointing that Gils startup didn’t work.

Leap Frog

Most of you guys don't remember the Fort Worth Press.
The best part of that is it really was " The Fort Worth Press".
That paper once sent 5 sports reporters to cover a TCU football game in College Station.
Yes, the famous "Hurricane Game" between # 4 Frogs and # 8 Ags stolen by refs.