• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

I'll say this...that Mookie Betts/David Price trade just adds intrigue to MLB's investigation into the Red Sox, now that they're in the Dodgers locker room.

Eight

Not sure who you're arguing with, but assume it's an Astros fan making the case that a runner at 2nd base stealing signs is no different than what the Astros did.

That argument is obtuse for many reasons, but the inability to distinguish the differences between the two situations is stunning to me. Your analogy makes sense, but I think there's a more analogous example to use.

Signs are a form of communication. The same as talking. I'm sitting in the VA clinic right now and several different people here are having conversations some of which are fairly quiet suggesting they're trying to avoid others hearing what they're talking about. If they don't want me to hear they could go somewhere else more private, but if I do hear it they can't blame me for eavesdropping. I'm just sitting here in the waiting room. That would be a closer analogy to sign stealing from 2nd base.

Now, let's say I set up electronic surveillance cameras in the wall directly across from them in a private room that could read their lips and translate every word they said for me. Then, after reading the transcript I got sensitive personal information and utilized it to my benefit without them knowing. That's what the Astros did.

That's quite a bit different than overhearing a private conversation in a public place. In the first example they knew there was risk they could be overheard, but they accepted it and tried to disguise their words. In the other example they were oblivious to a risk of being overheard. Consequently, they took no additional precautions to disguise their words.

It just seems painfully obvious how traditional "sign stealing" and the Stros/Sox scandals are different. I'm flummoxed how others can't or refuse to see it.

not a matter of refusal, but every example given uses a scenario where one accidentally comes across the information versus someone going to an extreme

what is interesting is that there are those in baseball who believe sign stealing in any form or methodology is wrong, but i guess they are just as much a simpleton moron as me

FBallFan123

Pretty dumb for Correa to say that when there is evidence of Altuve with at bats with the banging trashcan. Not sure they could have handled this situation any worse

Altuve used cans a lot less than others, so Bellinger *may* have over-stepped on the “Altuve stole the MVP from Judge” comment, but Correa’s indignation is prolly not gonna look good to anybody but Astros fans.

Not sure how many people will buy the tattoo excuse re: Altuve’s actions with his jersey.

And trying to limit the discussion of cheating to just the MLB investigation is weak, since WSJ report came out.

Love to see odds on which Astros player gets beaned the most this season .... the way Correa is talkinit might be him, tho he he doesn’t seem too concerned about it right now.

Last edited:

ftwfrog

Not sure what’s going to be, or has been, more entertaining:
1) The *astros talking to the media, trying to explain their actions.
2) The *astros fans trying to explain their actions.
3) The upcoming hunting season involving the *astros

Last edited:

nwlafrog

Literally, every time Bregman, Correa, Altuve, etc step up to the plate they have to wonder in the back of their minds "is this pitch coming at my head?"

I’ll bet the averages drop significantly for that reason alone and not just the buzzers and trash cans.

My grandfather told me a great story about pitching in his semi-pro day. If he was told to walk someone, he’d reach way back and throw as hard as he could and plunk the batter instead because it served multiple purposes. 1) the next batter would be nervous coming up, 2) the batter he hit wouldn’t know what to expect the next at bat, 3) he saved his pitch count, 4) he wasn’t a small man so they’d really have to think about it to charge him and catch some hands.

#OutlawBall