• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football will go through spring practices with one scholarship QB healthy

4th. down

That was a joke, one QB can’t run every play for every rep. I am sure one of the walk-on will get plenty of run

Different views of course, but in the controlled scrimmages, he probably gets 90% of the reps. - beats last year when Delton got the most controlled scrimmage reps. If Baldwins and Downings rehab continues and with Brown coming in, he needs all the Spring reps. he can get before Fall camp begins.

tcumaniac

I completely agree that having one scholarship QB going into the spring is completely ridiculous. It's a combination of bad luck and poor recruiting management.

However, the big silver lining here is that this is clearly Max's team. You always hear that competition makes everyone better (and I think it usually does), but I get the impression that Max has the attitude, drive, work ethic and desire to improve just as much as he would if there was another QB competing for his spot. In fact, being the sole starter may be a more favorable situation for someone like him. This situation allows for maximum reps and the opportunity for him to step up and make this his football team. I think having the players be able to rally behind a single guy is invaluable.

Sure, having a legitimate back up or two getting reps would be ideal. I'm not arguing that. But Max has the tools, athleticism, and work ethic to be a super star. The path to a championship these next few years will be through him. If he gets hurt, we're probably not competing for a championship anyway...even with a good backup.

Go get 'em Max. Stay healthy and take charge of this football team. If we have an oline that can give him time, I think we have the potential to be a special football team for the next few years.

McFroggin

I completely agree that having one scholarship QB going into the spring is completely ridiculous. It's a combination of bad luck and poor recruiting management.

However, the big silver lining here is that this is clearly Max's team. You always hear that competition makes everyone better (and I think it usually does), but I get the impression that Max has the attitude, drive, work ethic and desire to improve just as much as he would if there was another QB competing for his spot. In fact, being the sole starter may be a more favorable situation for someone like him. This situation allows for maximum reps and the opportunity for him to step up and make this his football team. I think having the players be able to rally behind a single guy is invaluable.

Sure, having a legitimate back up or two getting reps would be ideal. I'm not arguing that. But Max has the tools, athleticism, and work ethic to be a super star. The path to a championship these next few years will be through him. If he gets hurt, we're probably not competing for a championship anyway...even with a good backup.

Go get 'em Max. Stay healthy and take charge of this football team. If we have an oline that can give him time, I think we have the potential to be a special football team for the next few years.

That’s a lot of “ifs” in 1 post. I hope he takes a big Boykin step like the rest of y’all but championship? Come on. We would be super pumped to make a Big 12 title game at this point.

tcumaniac

That’s a lot of “ifs” in 1 post. I hope he takes a big Boykin step like the rest of y’all but championship? Come on. We would be super pumped to make a Big 12 title game at this point.
Winning the big 12 is still willing a championship.

Make the title game and you’re a win away from winning a “championship.” Win that and you’re most likely in the conversation to be in the playoff.

Boykin and Co went from 4-8 to being capable of winning it all the next year.

Will next years team do that too? Probably not, but it’s certainly possible. I expect huge improvements from Max next year.

Frogmore

Guessing he was not injured before he got here?
What I know is that he played in the Ohio State spring game and seemed to be perfectly fine. But an MRI over the summer showed a torn meniscus. I think that's the surgery he had just before arriving at TCU. Not sure when the back came into it, but I do know over Christmas, he was working on getting that better. I'm holding out hope that we get to see Baldwin practice and play.

Frogmore

curious how much access a program has to the medical records of a recruit, but in the case of rogers and williams they had the knee injuries that ended their senior seasons and required surgery.

rogers was a catastrophic injury, but even if williams was a "simple acl" we are still talking roughly a year or more before he is back to physical form and more importantly he lost a year of development.

baldwin's issue with the knee goes back to lake travis and here are links to three articles that show the knee had been an issue from part of the 2017 season until last summer.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spo...r-barrett-less-future/8eRakfzK47zj9iCnHWz98L/

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...-his-way-back-from-his-knee-injury-114892831/

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2...ry-won-t-be-available-for-start-of-fall-camp/

we all know that once a kid gets behind the purple curtain you rarely get the full story via the conventional news sources or a site like this and those who truly do know respect the wishes of the program and just don't tell the story.

heck, if i recall correctly tony wallace had some surgical procedure last spring or summer and it was why he wasn't ready last year and the team did not know about it until he showed up on campus.
Baldwin tore his ACL in the Katy game (semifinals) of his senior year. Then, he tried to play in the championship game and went down on the first play of the game. That's been since December of 2017. Not sure the knee is the problem these days. As I said in a previous post, he did play in the Ohio State spring game; so, I'm assuming he participated in all of those practices and I'm guessing the knee was good then.

Putt4Purple

With all the hyperbole about the upcoming season, what will happen is Duggan will be supported by two great running backs and a decent offensive line and that will be sufficient for him to be able to throw and hit receivers. The Frogs will be more stable and proficient than in recent years.

4th. down

With all the hyperbole about the upcoming season, what will happen is Duggan will be supported by two great running backs and a decent offensive line and that will be sufficient for him to be able to throw and hit receivers. The Frogs will be more stable and proficient than in recent years.

It's within the realm of possibility that scenario could play out but a lot of that depends on how effective Kill is and stop all the offensive foolishness.

asleep003

With all the hyperbole about the upcoming season, what will happen is Duggan will be supported by two great running backs and a decent offensive line and that will be sufficient for him to be able to throw and hit receivers. The Frogs will be more stable and proficient than in recent years

Hmmmmmmm !!!!! … God Bless You