• The KillerFrogs

Ladies won again

GothamFrog

I remember when I was in school late 80s, early 90s, women's basketball was horrible. I think the coach was Fran Garmon. Maybe won a handful of games each year. Really bad.

That makes me appreciate Coach Pebley and the ladies so much more. They are really fun to watch!

But then the women’s team was a regular in the NCAA tourney in the early 2000’s. Pretty incredible actually. 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010. What a streak.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I think the coach was Fran Garmon. Maybe won a handful of games each year. Really bad.
But if I recall correctly, she was coming off a stint as the US Olympic Women's BB Team coach, and we were all amazed that we got her here. Made it even more bizarre that her TCU teams did so poorly.

HG73

But then the women’s team was a regular in the NCAA tourney in the early 2000’s. Pretty incredible actually. 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010. What a streak.
I see that coach is still at KState, he was solid for us.

Big Frog II

I remember when I was in school late 80s, early 90s, women's basketball was horrible. I think the coach was Fran Garmon. Maybe won a handful of games each year. Really bad.

That makes me appreciate Coach Pebley and the ladies so much more. They are really fun to watch!
I don't think they gave her much help, financially or with assistant coaches.

don

Mike Petersen deserves some credit for first making TCU respectable after the Shell Robinson era but Mittie took them to another level. I think Raegan potentially has a higher ceiling.

BedfordFrog68

But if I recall correctly, she was coming off a stint as the US Olympic Women's BB Team coach, and we were all amazed that we got her here. Made it even more bizarre that her TCU teams did so poorly.

A coaching friend of mine during that time said all Fran recruited was height and not skill....

Lady Frogs totally screwed in the new AP poll. Still 27th. Somehow Tennessee, with a worse conference record (7-3) and overall record (17-6), including a 1-5 record against top 25 opponents is ranked 25th, whereas TCU is 8-2, 17-4 and 2-2 in the same categories.

BS.

lowfrog

Lady Frogs totally screwed in the new AP poll. Still 27th. Somehow Tennessee, with a worse conference record (7-3) and overall record (17-6), including a 1-5 record against top 25 opponents is ranked 25th, whereas TCU is 8-2, 17-4 and 2-2 in the same categories.

BS.
Why no one should really pay attention to the polls -- they're bogus. Most of the voters have no clue. Love CRP, her assistants, and her players. Believe CRP started her career at TCU four years ago, so all the players are her recruits and they are playing her brand of basketball. They keep getting better and better. Almost beat Baylor in their first conference game this year. Almost beat A&M this year. Those two are top 10 teams.

tetonfrog

A coaching friend of mine during that time said all Fran recruited was height and not skill....

The real issue was she recruited only white girls.

I still remember Swoopes and Tech just hammering us. They were up 55-13 in the first half one game. I covered that team for the Skiff and we were just dreadful. Nice girls - they were just poor bball players. And Garmon was also really nice......just could not or would not recruit inner city DFW.