• The KillerFrogs

OT -- Favorite Quotes From Literature

steelfrog

Tier 1
Seems to Steel that we've never had this kind of thread, only movies, books etc.

One book Steel returns to at least once a year is Cormac McCarthy's great work, Blood Meridian, which has these gems from The Judge (and in the second passage, his tete a tete with The Kid:

First Quote:

“The man who believes that the secrets of the world are forever hidden lives in mystery and fear. Superstition will drag him down. The rain will erode the deeds of his life. But that man who sets himself the task of singling out the thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms of his own fate.”

Second Quote:

"I tell you this. As war becomes dishonored and its nobility called into question those honorable men who recognize the sanctity of blood will become excluded from the dance, which is the warrior’s right, and thereby will the dance become a false dance and the dancers false dancers. And yet there will be one there always who is a true dancer and can you guess who that might be?"

"You ain’t nothin."

"You speak truer than you know. But I will tell you. Only that man who has offered up himself entire to the blood of war, who has been to the floor of the pit and seen horror in the round and learned at last that it speaks to his inmost heart, only that man can dance."

"Even a dumb animal can dance."

"The judge set the bottle on the bar. Hear me, man, he said. There is room on the stage for one beast and one alone. All others are destined for a night that is eternal and without name. One by one they will step down into the darkness before the footlamps. Bears that dance, bears that don't."

Steel has often pondered the meaning of both these passages, without much being resolved. Instead, it just sits there with Steel. Cormac McCarthy is a national treasure.

Eight

Seems to Steel that we've never had this kind of thread, only movies, books etc.

One book Steel returns to at least once a year is Cormac McCarthy's great work, Blood Meridian, which has these gems from The Judge (and in the second passage, his tete a tete with The Kid:

First Quote:

“The man who believes that the secrets of the world are forever hidden lives in mystery and fear. Superstition will drag him down. The rain will erode the deeds of his life. But that man who sets himself the task of singling out the thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms of his own fate.”

Second Quote:

"I tell you this. As war becomes dishonored and its nobility called into question those honorable men who recognize the sanctity of blood will become excluded from the dance, which is the warrior’s right, and thereby will the dance become a false dance and the dancers false dancers. And yet there will be one there always who is a true dancer and can you guess who that might be?"

"You ain’t nothin."

"You speak truer than you know. But I will tell you. Only that man who has offered up himself entire to the blood of war, who has been to the floor of the pit and seen horror in the round and learned at last that it speaks to his inmost heart, only that man can dance."

"The judge set the bottle on the bar. Hear me, man, he said. There is room on the stage for one beast and one alone. All others are destined for a night that is eternal and without name. One by one they will step down into the darkness before the footlamps. Bears that dance, bears that don't."

Steel has often pondered the meaning of both these passages, without much being resolved. Instead, it just sits there with Steel. Cormac McCarthy is a national treasure.

those quotes or monologues?

steelfrog

Tier 1
Steel figured The Judge killed the kid. Those who claim sodomy have little to go on since Judge Holden throughout the rest of the book is essentially asexual. But he's very violent, loves blood and killing.

BABYFACE

Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil
The devil is never a maker
The less that you give, you're a taker
So it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hell
Oh well

The lover of life's not a sinner
The ending is just a beginner
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming
So it's on and on and on, oh it's on and on and on
It goes on and on and on, Heaven and Hell
I can tell
Fool, fool

Oh uh
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion
For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life
Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer
And it's on and on, on and on and on and on and on and on and on

They say that life's a carousel
Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
The world is full of kings and queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's heaven and hell, oh well

And they'll tell you black is really white
The moon is just the sun at night
And when you walk in golden halls
You get to keep the gold that falls
It's heaven and hell, oh no

Fool, fool
You've got to bleed for the dancer
Fool, fool
Look for the answer
Fool, fool, fool

Brog

I think it was John Doe: "If you don't really have anything to say, then don't say it." Steel, thought you might need this one.

Paint It Purple

First Quote:

Second Quote:

"You ain’t nothin."

Move this to the general board. We’z about sports. Not this fancy word crap.