• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Luke Pardee, grandson of Texas football royalty and ‘Junction Boy,’ commits to TCU

Leap Frog

Had the honor and privilege of interviewing Jack Pardee for an article. Such a nice man, and he would have let me have an audience with him for as long as I wanted. Of course, I asked him to tell me a few Junction Boys war stories. He is simply class.

Bear Bryant became coach of Ags in 1954 and took his team to Junction, Texas (Stalag 17) for August training.
He took about 100 players and came back with 30-35 hard bitten ones who would hit anything moving.
His teams ran the ball (John David Crow) and played mean defense to be successful. They were top ten several years.
Three off that stinging defense (Pardee, Crow and Charlie Krueger) are in College Hall of Fame.
Bryant was at Ag 1954-1957, but got them on probation for illegal recruiting, before leaving for Alabama.

froginaustin

. . .
Bryant was at Ag 1954-1957, but got them on probation for illegal recruiting, before leaving for Alabama.

Bryant was supposedly quoted (and I can't remember the supposed quote, exactly) as saying something like "my volunteers always worked out better than my hired hands", obviously a reference to illegally paying players.

I wonder if Bryant had that experience at A'nM, as a part of their decades-long tradition of paying players, or 'Bama. Or both?

Rabidfrog

If he is half as good or tough as Jack, we have ourselves one heck of a player.
Those two games with Ags in '55 and ' 56 cost our Frogs dearly, and Jack Pardee was a huge part of it.
He played six man football in high school and is in the College Football Hall of Fame.
Hope we can hold on to this kid, because he certainly has the blood lines of greatness.
yep,Prolly cost us a NC at College Station in the rain.

gofor2

interesting how an old school, hard nosed football player who was an nfl linebacker went all in with the run and shoot starting in the usfl then to u oh h and finally the oilers

That must have been tough working for Bud Adams.
"Hey Jack, I'm going to bring in the most divisive coach in the NFL to our club, to shore up the defense".

One of the great games of this rivalry (1956), hurricane game, but we lose 7-6 with Swink stopped at the goal line 3 times. We were rated 4th. in nation at the time. Chuck Curtis should have, on at least 1 play, done a roll out option but it was Swink 3 times in a row. Swink had scored previously on a drive but a penalty called it back. Swink said years later the weather was worse on Kyle field than anytime when he was in Vietnam. It was touch and go at the time who our biggest rival was, Ags or Horns.

TCU played some real bad ass football during this period, always a ruff and tough bunch. Just real difficult to beat. Remember Lilly lifting that Beetle up in front of a girl's dorm, made the front page.
My Dad was on the sidelines at that game and standing on that goal line. To his dying day he said Swink scored, and more than once.