• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Chongo94

torn on the believability of blake lively becoming an assassin

the older i have gotten the bigger an issue that is for me in movies and such.

might be just another character flaw in me coming to the surface

I can’t see it either. Plot could work with other actresses but thinking of and trying to picture her as an assassin or whatever, just doesn’t work and makes me chuckle.

Mean Purple

Odd old (sorta) movie question.
Who saw Wind River and what did you think about it.

I thought it was a great flick. Edgy and left me with the feeling I had after seeing Unforgiven. Even more so. Kind of a "holy crap that for all cold blood justice at the end".
Bought it when it came out on disc and still trying to get in the mood to see it again.

tetonfrog

I thought it was a great flick. Edgy and left me with the feeling I had after seeing Unforgiven. Even more so. Kind of a "holy crap that for all cold blood justice at the end".
Bought it when it came out on disc and still trying to get in the mood to see it again.

I liked it a lot, especially as I lived up there for 15+ years. Jeremy Renner gives a strong performance in it. Ending is really good.

ShadowFrog

Moderators

100% concur

Eight

i liked it and thought it did a good job expressing the feelings of isolation and despair on the reservations.

beautiful cinematography and thought the ending was good

Frog-in-law1995

Wind River was good. Written and directed by that guy who played the deputy in Sons of Anarchy. Name escapes me but he’s from one of those little towns down below Glen Rose. Meridian Maybe. Riggs might know.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Taylor Sheridan. He wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water, both amazing films. Wind River is awesome as well.

All three of those are great movies, understated. Gritty. Real.

HoHW is one of 3 movies Steel has downloaded on his phone (along with Big Lebowski and Inglorious Basterds)

Steel would like to see Knives Out, 1917 and Parasite; doesn't get to many movies in theater.

Heard that Midway was good too. Being a WWII buff, there's a lot of interest there if well done.

Irishman was a delight. Steel has read the book, and the dialogue in Irishman is just as described in the book. Joe Pesci and especially Al Pacino were really fine performances. That scene where Deniro tells Al, "Tony says it is what it is" and Al says, "They wouldn't dare." is just pregnant with meaning and nuance.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood -- wow. Not sure why it isn't being talked about like this, but Steel believes this is Leo's best performance. Yes, better than Wolf. The range displayed is stunning. Starts out as a once-great film star realizing he's fading, time is passing him by. Then goes into full meltdown. then the Italy interlude. Comes back ready to take on the world, gets nudged into action by the little girl, then the piece de resistance is his performance as the bad guy in that movie. Then in real life, his budding dalliance with Sharon Tate.

Not your typical Tarantino movie, but great nonetheless.

Movies Steel is looking forward to (but may not see):

Quiet Place 2
The Many Saints of Newark
The Trial of the Chicago 7
Bios
Stillwater
Dune (2020)

Also really looking forward to the next seasons of:

Better Call Saul
Ozark
The Last Kingdom

What are you all looking forward to?

jake102

All three of those are great movies, understated. Gritty. Real.

HoHW is one of 3 movies Steel has downloaded on his phone (along with Big Lebowski and Inglorious Basterds)

Steel would like to see Knives Out, 1917 and Parasite; doesn't get to many movies in theater.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood -- wow. Not sure why it isn't being talked about like this, but Steel believes this is Leo's best performance. Yes, better than Wolf. The range displayed is stunning. Starts out as a once-great film star realizing he's fading, time is passing him by. Then goes into full meltdown. then the Italy interlude. Comes back ready to take on the world, gets nudged into action by the little girl, then the piece de resistance is his performance as the bad guy in that movie. Then in real life, his budding dalliance with Sharon Tate.

Movies Steel is looking forward to (but may not see):

Quiet Place 2
The Many Saints of Newark
The Trial of the Chicago 7
Bios
Stillwater
Dune (2020)

Also really looking forward to the next seasons of:

Better Call Saul
Ozark
The Last Kingdom

What are you all looking forward to?

Spot on.

I still need to see Knives Out and 1917, I can't make it to theaters anymore. Daniel Craig is a top 5 actor for me.

OUATIH was strangely really good. I'm not a Tarantino person but I really enjoyed it.

I've got Knives Out, 1917, Uncut Gems, The Gentlemen, Bond 25, Greyhound, Tenet, Bios, Stillwater and Dune on my 2020 list. Especially Knives Out, 1917, Tenet and Dune.

Frog-in-law1995

Saw Knives Out on opening weekend as well. Very Agatha Christie/Hercule Poirot, which is about as high a compliment as you can get at my house about a murder mystery (which is our favorite genre...we saw Mousetrap on our honeymoon and routinely throw murder mystery weekend getaways into our vacation plans, including one next month in the Poconos). I highly recommend the film.

Huge Bond fan too, so really looking forward to that (coincidentally, also starring his Knives Out costar Ana De Armas). Will miss Craig’s “punch you in the darning mouth” Bond, in stark contrast to the “say something cute to avoid a fight” pansy from more recent actors past. Hopeful that Idris Elba takes the role next and carries on the tough guy version.

Don't watch much TV, but need to catch up on Ozark, BCS and Mindhunter. Loved all of those. Also really want to watch The Spy miniseries with Sacha Baron Cohen. The 2 seasons of Jack Ryan were fun. Tried to start Stranger Things the other day but wasn’t in the mood. I’m sure I’ll get back to it soon enough.

Horned Toad

i like dicaprio's movies, but tarrentino has gotten really, really creepy to me

just can't see myself spending money on something he makes anymore

I’m not a fan of Tarantino either but I like Brad Pitt and really enjoyed this movie. It’s worth seeing and one of his better ones. The ending is actually kind of satisfying for once.