• The KillerFrogs

2019-2020 TCU basketball thread

Eight

our son sent me a link over to barking carnival and the discussion of the horns game with wvu last night. what i found most interesting was this post which if you swapped out tcu for texas it would read fairly accurate for the frogs in response to their ken pom ranking and the challenge for the rest of the season

"The amusing thing is the underlying stats didn’t change enough for that number to move, it was 7-11 prior to the game. Texas dropped 7 spots in their rankings to #66, but the Longhorns are still nestled right in with a good chunk of the Big 12 so it’s feasible on paper.

2 games left against #64 TCU
2 games left against #62 ISU
1 game left against #80 OSU
1 game left against #88 KSU

There’s 6, Texas needs to win 5 of them to hit 7. Texas has played 3 of their 4 hardest conference games (@WVU, @BU, KU) so the remaining schedule gets somewhat easier. I can see 7-11, maybe 8-10 if they shake off this bludgeoning and pick off somebody like Tech in Austin or OU in Norman. The path to the NCAA tournament probably involves at least a couple wins in the conference tourney unless they pull off a significant upset or two (for example, Tech in Lubbock or Baylor in Austin) between now and then. I’m not saying this is a likely outcome, just tracing out what that path might look like."

francis xav has mentioned multiple times how he sees the big 12 as a few teams at the top and a cluster in the middle and roughly 1/3 of the way through the conference schedule it is a fairly muddled mess in the middle waiting for a few teams to separate themselves.

Delray Frog

Being happy with mediocrity and a sub .500 conference record is your choice.
Not my ultimate choice but you are correct, I’m pretty happy with the result of his first three years. Certainly not ready to can him and start over again. I think we are young and with the recruits that are signed for next year, I feel pretty good about how we will compete. But being negative is your choice.

Snoop1122

If Samuel and Ladee can control the glass we can get a big win in the Big 12- SEC challenge before a couple days off until we play Texas and Baylor in Waco.

LVH

Right now KenPom gives us a 6% chance of making the NCAA tournament which sounds about right. Has us finishing 8-10 in Big 12 play.

I don't think the Big 12 is strong enough this year to where 8-10 would get it done, especially when we swung and missed on all 3 of our non-conference games against teams that aren't bad.

I think to make it as an at-large, we need to go 9-9 at worst, and have a win over one of the Big 3 - Baylor, Kansas, WVU. Beating Arkansas would also help to give us a non conference win that doesn't suck.

Portland Frog

One noticeable difference with this year's team compared to all others under CJD is health. This bodes well down the stretch assuming guys continue to get better. And no I'm not jinxing the team by saying this.

Last edited: