• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

ThisIsOurTime

LSU just reestablished it's full grip on Lousiana talent with this national championship.
That probably works slightly in our favor. If they are winning a few more battles with Bama, it means we have a better chance at others who they pass over and are less likely to see them be a threat late in the recruiting process. In the past, we weren't beating out LSU for Louisiana kids head to head anyway.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

That probably works slightly in our favor. If they are winning a few more battles with Bama, it means we have a better chance at others who they pass over and are less likely to see them a be a threat late in the recruiting process. In the past, we weren't beating out LSU for Louisiana kids head to head anyway.
FWIW, we just beat out LSU for Patrick Jenkins, 4 star DT out of LA.

Moose Stuff

FWIW, we just beat out LSU for Patrick Jenkins, 4 star DT out of LA.

I think there’s a decent amount of truth in his observation though. Had UT for example signed guys like Jeff Okudah, Grant Delpit, JK Dobbins, and CeeDee Lamb I’d like to think one or more of the players they signed instead might be at TCU right now. There’s always gonna be some sort of trickle down, who it benefits remains to be seen.

Of course the trade off is that had UT signed those guys they might be really good so be careful what you wish for.

Ron Swanson

I think there’s a decent amount of truth in his observation though. Had UT for example signed guys like Jeff Okudah, Grant Delpit, JK Dobbins, and CeeDee Lamb I’d like to think one or more of the players they signed instead might be at TCU right now. There’s always gonna be some sort of trickle down, who it benefits remains to be seen.

Of course the trade off is that had UT signed those guys they might be really good so be careful what you wish for.
I don’t disagree, I was just pointing it out.

FrogCop19

We really need a TE and another late rising kid is available (some looks by TCU):

Austin Groeschel TE 6-4/225 Greenwood HS (Midland TX)

Kid blocks more like a true lineman than a TE. Good footwork, great power. Pancaking dudes left and right, then goes up and highpoints a pass. I'd love to see him in a TCU uniform, so we could change him to a WR and rotate him in once per game!

(j/k)

Eight

lsu has normally signed the kids they want out of louisiana, but thre have been exceptions as ron swanson points out with patrick jenkins.

what is interesting is that the lsu classes are actually become more diverse geographically and this year's class will have the fewest prospects from the boot of any of the tiger classes since eddie took over lsu.

2016- signed prospects from 5 states and 19 of the 27 were from la.
2017- signed prospects from 7 states and 9 of the 24 were from la.
2018 - signed prospects from 6 states and 13 of the 22 were from la.
2019 - signed prospects from 9 states and 10 of the 24 were from la.
2020 - signed or have commits from prospects from 9 states and 6 of the 22 are from la.
2021- have commitments from prospects from 4 states and 1 of the 4 are from la.

there has been a trend the past few years were the big programs (i.e. bama, uga, ohio state, ou, texas, lsu, etc...) lock down certain home state prospects, but they are going national for big fish.

Eight

will be interesting to see what other personnel moves the frogs make the next few weeks.

registration for the spring semester was the 10th and the first day of spring classes was monday so they have to know who made grades and who might have decided to give up football.

not sure on the exact count, but i would suspect they have 4-6 scholarships to give for the upcoming season.

i would love to see another experienced offensive lineman (preferably interior and immediately eligible) and a grad transfer de, but not holding out hope on both of those are someone like de'andre butler deciding to not sign with uo and coming to ft worth

curious on which high school prospects are still in play. don't think my hope of malik hornsby signing with the frogs won't happen as well as princely umanmielen.

savion williams is in play and he would give the frogs a great set of 4 young, tall, athletic receviers for kelly to develop.

would be nice to pair them with another inside receiver. kelvontay dixon of carthage is interesting as his measurables aren't eye popping, but all he did for carthage was make play after play after play. i guess he is headed to texas.

other prospect that is interesting is corey wren who has interest of most of the powers in the south east. he played running back most of the time for john curtis so he is going to be a project, but there aren't many projects left on the board who legitimately ran a 10.5 100M at the texas southern relays and then followed that up with a 10.42 at the sugar bowl meet.

MAcFroggy

lsu has normally signed the kids they want out of louisiana, but thre have been exceptions as ron swanson points out with patrick jenkins.

what is interesting is that the lsu classes are actually become more diverse geographically and this year's class will have the fewest prospects from the boot of any of the tiger classes since eddie took over lsu.

2016- signed prospects from 5 states and 19 of the 27 were from la.
2017- signed prospects from 7 states and 9 of the 24 were from la.
2018 - signed prospects from 6 states and 13 of the 22 were from la.
2019 - signed prospects from 9 states and 10 of the 24 were from la.
2020 - signed or have commits from prospects from 9 states and 6 of the 22 are from la.
2021- have commitments from prospects from 4 states and 1 of the 4 are from la.

there has been a trend the past few years were the big programs (i.e. bama, uga, ohio state, ou, texas, lsu, etc...) lock down certain home state prospects, but they are going national for big fish.

This is very similar strategy for Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma. They only sign a handful of in-state kids and then go national for the rest of their class. LSU has an advantage in that Louisiana has better quality prospects than these states, but the process is the same. Lock down elite local talent and then go find the best possible kids regardless of geography.

CryptoMiner

will be interesting to see what other personnel moves the frogs make the next few weeks.

registration for the spring semester was the 10th and the first day of spring classes was monday so they have to know who made grades and who might have decided to give up football.

not sure on the exact count, but i would suspect they have 4-6 scholarships to give for the upcoming season.

i would love to see another experienced offensive lineman (preferably interior and immediately eligible) and a grad transfer de, but not holding out hope on both of those are someone like de'andre butler deciding to not sign with uo and coming to ft worth

curious on which high school prospects are still in play. don't think my hope of malik hornsby signing with the frogs won't happen as well as princely umanmielen.

savion williams is in play and he would give the frogs a great set of 4 young, tall, athletic receviers for kelly to develop.

would be nice to pair them with another inside receiver. kelvontay dixon of carthage is interesting as his measurables aren't eye popping, but all he did for carthage was make play after play after play. i guess he is headed to texas.

other prospect that is interesting is corey wren who has interest of most of the powers in the south east. he played running back most of the time for john curtis so he is going to be a project, but there aren't many projects left on the board who legitimately ran a 10.5 100M at the texas southern relays and then followed that up with a 10.42 at the sugar bowl meet.

With the transfers announced (2) they now have 7 scholarships available.

Froggish

thanks, makes it simple then.

sing malik, the three receivers, the tight end from midland, a de who can play now, and an experienced interior offensive lineman

CBs have come in for Malik to Arky. In fact I don't think we were ever in real play for Malik

asleep003

i am sure he will have plenty of time to work with the offensive line since the receivers were rock solid last year.

- Where would Meacham be most valuable... If we cannot protect the QB,..
- Why would one be more concerned about WRs tutelage, over OL's needs.
- WRs have so much more game time experience and depth over the OL.
- Plus, Malcolm Kelly is already there for the outside WRs

Moose Stuff

- Where would Meacham be most valuable... If we cannot protect the QB,..
- Why would one be more concerned about WRs tutelage, over OL's needs.
- WRs have so much more game time experience and depth over the OL.
- Plus, Malcolm Kelly is already there for the outside WRs

Perhaps KFC could put together an “Ask Gary” get together where we meet for dinner and drinks (maybe he could even host us) and after we eat he answers all our questions. Ryann, can you get on that please?