• The KillerFrogs

Doug Meacham returning to the staff [MOD EDIT: Now Official]

CountryFrog

There are two separate things going on here.

#1: We're all frustrated for good reason about the offense. Lots of people want a new OC. I think by now even the people who aren't openly begging for a new OC would be understanding if it were to happen.

#2: We just hired a guy who's been an OC in several places based mostly on the fact that he was an outstanding inside receivers coach for years at OSU. That's the job we just hired him for.

#2 has absolutely nothing to do with #1. Meacham coming in does nothing to help with the OC issue or the type of offense we run, but as long as we're running this type of offense then it seems that we just got a guy who's really good at teaching it and coaching receivers.

asleep003

Would be very relieved if the one time All Big 8 OT at OSU was coming in to take over our young and inexperienced OL roster as our most needed need on offense. With out the Big/Uglies zoned in, we can forget need for RBs QBs and WRs development.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Better than the last two years?

in addition, we didn’t have the same Oline. We lost 4 OL starters that year...Vaitai, Hunt, Foltz and Naff.

edit: yeah, going back and looking at the numbers, between those 4 and Bobby Thompson, we only lost about 100 OL starts and 175 total games played along the O line from ‘15 to ‘16.

What with breaking in a new QB, 2 new wideouts and a new RB, plus losing your tight end and fullback, I can’t think of any reason whatsoever to expect a dip in production.

Last edited:

Eight

Better than the last two years?

one would hope so with 5 nfl offensive linemen and an experienced quarterback in 2016 compared to true freshman quarterback and this years offensive line

comparison of the 2016 and 2019 numbers in conference play

scoring offense 2016 8th 2019 5th
total offense 2016 7th 2019 8th
rushing offense 2016 6th 2019 3rd
passing offense 2016 9th 2019 9th
passing effc. 2016 8th 2019 10th
red zone off. 2016 7th 2019 4th
3rd down con 2016 9th 2019 2nd

hmm....

Eight

in addition, we didn’t have the same Oline. We lost 4 OL starters that year...Vaitai, Hunt, Foltz and Naff.

the starting offensive line in 2016 was noteboom, morris, schlottman, pryor, and collins. 5 nfl offensive linemen

hmmm...and in the 2015 alamo bowl the starting offensive line for the frogs was.....

vaitai
pryor
schlottman

foltz
noteboom

schlottman and pryor finished the last 4 games of the 2015 year as starters and had played enough prior to 2016 to have lettered twice and morris had lettered twice prior to 2016.

noteboom was a two year letterman and starter at tackle in 2015 and collins had been a multi-game starter in 2012 and 2013 before only playing in 8 games in 2014 and 3 in 2015.

nice try, i enjoyed reading your efforts at sunshine pumping

Frog-in-law1995

the starting offensive line in 2016 was noteboom, morris, schlottman, pryor, and collins. 5 nfl offensive linemen

hmmm...and in the 2015 alamo bowl the starting offensive line for the frogs was.....

vaitai
pryor
schlottman

foltz
noteboom

schlottman and pryor finished the last 4 games of the 2015 year as starters and had played enough prior to 2016 to have lettered twice and morris had lettered twice prior to 2016.

noteboom was a two year letterman and starter at tackle in 2015 and collins had been a multi-game starter in 2012 and 2013 before only playing in 8 games in 2014 and 3 in 2015.

nice try, i enjoyed reading your efforts at sunshine pumping

So they returned 1 starter and one guy who lost his starting position years earlier because he wasn’t as good as Big V, and that somehow cancels out losing over 100 starts and 175 games played along the OL? While breaking in new starters at virtually every skill position? Go sell crazy somewhere else.

Froggish

I find it amusing that everyone thinks that if Meachum comes back to coach WR's, we are all the sudden going to start running he Air Raid again. GP squashed that once. He isn't going to play at hyper speed ever again.

Eight

So they returned 1 starter and one guy who lost his starting position years earlier because he wasn’t as good as Big V, and that somehow cancels out losing over 100 starts and 175 games played along the OL? While breaking in new starters at virtually every skill position? Go sell crazy somewhere else.

you are right, it is crazy talk to think an offensive line comprised of 5 players who had played in a combined 122 games prior to the 2016 season and over 40 starts would be effective.

damn near a carbon copy of this year.

McGregor's Goat

Not the move I would most want but I have no problem with Meacham rejoining the staff, especially as inside receivers coach (if that rumor is correct).

Assuming Cumbie is still OC and playcaller in 2020, I hope at least he moves back up to the coach's box. He seems flustered down on the field.