• The KillerFrogs

DMN: 5 reasons TCU will go bowling in 2020: Freshman QB Max Duggan will only get better

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
5 reasons TCU will go bowling in 2020: Freshman QB Max Duggan will only get better

Just because TCU missed a bowl game this year doesn’t mean the Frogs are doomed to irrelevancy in 2020.
ZPWNVORJ2BE2ZNVBY2JWA2EC4M.jpg

By Grant McGalliard
The TCU Horned Frogs finished 5-7 and missed a bowl game for the third time since Gary Patterson took over as head coach in 2000.

But just because TCU missed a bowl game this year doesn’t mean the Frogs are doomed to irrelevancy in 2020. Here are five reasons why you can expect TCU to make a bowl game next season.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...-freshman-qb-max-duggan-will-only-get-better/

Limp Lizard

You know we won 11 games 2 years ago right?
One pretty good year, but only with a 5th year Senior at QB. Plus the offense was still the limiting factor. We never played close to OU, a team with a great offense but an awful defense. It, so far, was one last spurt. One good season out of 4. Still a downward trend. We will see this next year. We should never have had seasons like 2016, 2018 and 2019 after all the great years and recruiting classes. I thought we had turned the corner after 2014. I was so wrong.

Eight

One pretty good year, but only with a 5th year Senior at QB. Plus the offense was still the limiting factor. We never played close to OU, a team with a great offense but an awful defense. It, so far, was one last spurt. One good season out of 4. Still a downward trend. We will see this next year. We should never have had seasons like 2016, 2018 and 2019 after all the great years and recruiting classes. I thought we had turned the corner after 2014. I was so wrong.

NEVER?

y2kFrog

If we end up with no changes on the offensive staff, I predict another 5-7 team with poor fan attendance.

While I think no staff changes limits our upside since I don’t our offensive staff is that good. I do think we will win at least 2 more games having an experienced QB returning. I think having an experienced QB is way more important than some think.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Let's consider for just a second: 1.) O-line for 2019 wasn't very good to start with, and proceeded downhill. By season's end, they were lost, blocking thin air or saying "Ole'!" as defenders sped past. How will this unit be brought up to a workable speed and coherence? How deep will we be at each position? Will a single injury doom the whole unit? 2.) D-line for 2019 was touted as "possibly the best at TCU" during 2-a-days, they certainly weren't on the field in actual games. We have some returning guys for 2020, we have some promising underclassmen. 3.) WR. Ugh. Can't catch. Can't run patterns. Can't (or won't) block. Easily the worst unit on the team. There has to be improvement here because, in all honesty, you can only go up from 2019. I am so proud of Duggan for not just mentally cratering after literally physically hitting receivers (when they deigned to run a discernible pattern) with the ball and seeing them drop it time and time again. For a "passing" offense, the preparation and development of this absolutely integral component has been abysmal. The responsible parties should be publicly executed, with heads displayed on pikes. 4.) RB. Is there anything in the cupboard? 5.) LB and DB. Good, with the occasional hiccup. 6.) QB. I truly hope Max gets some instruction this Spring and Summer by a good professional. Improvement on footwork, vision, mechanics, etc. That way, when Sonny gets back ahold of him, he's at a higher level of ability and the inevitable regression keeps him on an effective plateau.

In all honesty, judging by how wretched some personnel groups performed in 2019, we'd be better off having random names pulled from the phone book to come in and coach than the buffoons allegedly employed and paid to do so. Changes must be made.

Moose Stuff

Let's consider for just a second: 1.) O-line for 2019 wasn't very good to start with, and proceeded downhill. By season's end, they were lost, blocking thin air or saying "Ole'!" as defenders sped past. How will this unit be brought up to a workable speed and coherence? How deep will we be at each position? Will a single injury doom the whole unit? 2.) D-line for 2019 was touted as "possibly the best at TCU" during 2-a-days, they certainly weren't on the field in actual games. We have some returning guys for 2020, we have some promising underclassmen. 3.) WR. Ugh. Can't catch. Can't run patterns. Can't (or won't) block. Easily the worst unit on the team. There has to be improvement here because, in all honesty, you can only go up from 2019. I am so proud of Duggan for not just mentally cratering after literally physically hitting receivers (when they deigned to run a discernible pattern) with the ball and seeing them drop it time and time again. For a "passing" offense, the preparation and development of this absolutely integral component has been abysmal. The responsible parties should be publicly executed, with heads displayed on pikes. 4.) RB. Is there anything in the cupboard? 5.) LB and DB. Good, with the occasional hiccup. 6.) QB. I truly hope Max gets some instruction this Spring and Summer by a good professional. Improvement on footwork, vision, mechanics, etc. That way, when Sonny gets back ahold of him, he's at a higher level of ability and the inevitable regression keeps him on an effective plateau.

In all honesty, judging by how wretched some personnel groups performed in 2019, we'd be better off having random names pulled from the phone book to come in and coach than the buffoons allegedly employed and paid to do so. Changes must be made.

I know you follow the team pretty closely. Yet you ask if there is anything in the cupboard at RB. We signed the top two RB in the state last year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I know you follow the team pretty closely. Yet you ask if there is anything in the cupboard at RB. We signed the top two RB in the state last year.
I seem to remember a lot of signings of "top" talent that didn't pan out for one reason or another (See: Sawyer, Foster).

Besides, sometimes I do engage in a little sarcasm...

jake102

BeneficialMilkyEstuarinecrocodile-small.gif

It says nothing of the sort. Getting to a bowl game can be anything from 6-6 to 12-0.

You choose to read it that way.

Then why wasn't the article titled: "5 reasons TCU will go to the Big 12 CCG next year" or something like that?

For the record, I didn't read literally anything but the title.

RoyaltyWorePurple

The extent to which some of you approach everything from an extreme negative point of view is kinda pathetic.
That glass is not half full. I mean is the water even drinkable? Its probably too alkaline and you know they're not gonna put ice cubes in it right? They never take the time to ensure the correct temperature. I mean....how are we even supposed to THINK about drinking water when everyone else is getting to drink FIJI water?!?!?

That's what some people sound like.