• The KillerFrogs

Curious Cumbie Question

Froggish

When was the last time a TCU coach caught as much fan heat as Cumbie is getting right now?

Jim Christian? Maybe
Trent Johnson? Not quite this bad
Mike Schultz? Possibly..

Any from the old days get it this bad?

Shofner or Dry...

Deserved or not he’s getting hammered from here to Twitter

texas_sicilian

If he was paid as some young up and comer that was originally positioned as a future star, just that it would take a few years to get there, I think everyone’s expectations would be different.

However he is one of the highest paid OC’s, constantly defended as worth the investment and patience, with little progress to show for in terms of performance under his tenure.

So, folks are naturally anxious. I just hope CGP knows what he’s doing and somehow things start clicking really soon.

He definitely adds value to the program in many respects (QB coaching, recruiting, etc.), but falls short on a couple of expectations of an OC paid at his level.

Last edited:

froginaustin

Fred Taylor.

And from the faction of the fan base that didn't like coarse language in public or drunk driving (including, so it was said, Chancellor & Mrs. Moudy), Billy Tohill.

Anderson and Burns in 2013. As bad as it looked, I think they kind of got a pass in 2012 because we were playing with a RS Freshman QB after Casey Pachall's issue, it was a young team, first year in the Big 12 and it was said the offense would get better. It didn't get better, it got worse and it was certainly noted on here.

Say what you will about Cumbie--he runs a poor scheme, frequently fails to optimize the chance for success by calling an offensive play appropriate to the alignment of the defense, is terrible at in-game adjustments and fails to properly utilize players--he is an offensive genius compared to those two who not only failed at all that but presided over absolute chaos. Receivers running routes that terminated in the exact same spot on the field, CP repeatedly having to interrupt the pre-snap routine to line up players to the appropriate spot, linemen who pulled out of the exact hole the ball was being handed off thinking we were running to the other side or stood and blocked air while a clearly visible DE (not some exotic blitz) who was on the edge ran right behind them... I could go on but that's enough.

Froggish

Anderson and Burns in 2013. As bad as it looked, I think they kind of got a pass in 2012 because we were playing with a RS Freshman QB after Casey Pachall's issue, it was a young team, first year in the Big 12 and it was said the offense would get better. It didn't get better, it got worse and it was certainly noted on here.

Say what you will about Cumbie--he runs a poor scheme, frequently fails to optimize the chance for success by calling an offensive play appropriate to the alignment of the defense, is terrible at in-game adjustments and fails to properly utilize players--he is an offensive genius compared to those two who not only failed at all that but presided over absolute chaos. Receivers running routes that terminated in the exact same spot on the field, CP repeatedly having to interrupt the pre-snap routine to line up players to the appropriate spot, linemen who pulled out of the exact hole the ball was being handed off thinking we were running to the other side or stood and blocked air while a clearly visible DE (not some exotic blitz) who was on the edge ran right behind them... I could go on but that's enough.

Sheesh you just described the bad news bears of football..

TRF51

What value does he bring, really? Some say he is such a great qb coach, what is that based off? He and Meach got lucky with Boykin who was fortunate to have elite WRs who masked some of his pour decision making. How well did he develop Shawn Robinson? Was Kenny Hill a stud? We give him credit for Max but when you look at the numbers Max did not have a good year. The fact is we have seen one jump in 2014 when the offense was totally new and since 2015 we have been in a decline aside from a average 2017 season where we a good running team. Watch and see how many guys get drafted or get into camp from this 5-7 team. I think it could be more then we had for the Rose or Peach bowl. That tells me we had plenty of talent and the coaches, especially Cumbie wasted it.

Mean Purple

If he was paid as some young up and comer that was originally positioned as a future star, just that it would take a few years to get there, I think everyone’s expectations would be different.

However he is one of the highest paid OC’s, constantly defended as worth the investment and patience, with little progress to show for in terms of performance under his tenure.

So, folks are naturally anxious. I just hope CGP knows what he’s doing and somehow things start clicking really soon.

He definitely adds value to the program in many respects (QB coaching, recruiting, etc.), but falls short on a couple of expectations of an OC paid at his level.
Other than KH, who was a transfer, what qb has he recruited that has been great?

texas_sicilian

Other than KH, who was a transfer, what qb has he recruited that has been great?
It’s a crap shoot with QB’s, but no one can deny that Robinson, Rogers, Duggan, were all clearly sought out by most top programs.

Duggan is showing very promising signs for a true frosh, and I don’t think Baldwin would be here if it weren’t for Cumbie. Collins wasn’t bad either, but never really got a shot.

I don’t think you can say that lack of them panning out was purely a development issue attributable to coaching.

Also, I wouldn’t say KH was amazing, but Cumbie definitely elevated him to his max potential, and helped the kid played to his ceiling. It was enough to help get us to the conference championship.

Wexahu

I don’t get the “good QB coach” angle either. Just by a kid playing more he should get better to some degree. KH was a 4-star recruit, that he was a decent player as a 5th year senior isn’t exactly a reflection of a good QB coach. And we were still limited in the passing game in far too many games in 2017. What I’ve seen more often than not is starting QBs struggling quite a bit, and then when we are forced to play backups against halfway decent competition they generally look totally unprepared.

What value does he bring, really? Some say he is such a great qb coach, what is that based off? He and Meach got lucky with Boykin who was fortunate to have elite WRs who masked some of his pour decision making. How well did he develop Shawn Robinson? Was Kenny Hill a stud? We give him credit for Max but when you look at the numbers Max did not have a good year. The fact is we have seen one jump in 2014 when the offense was totally new and since 2015 we have been in a decline aside from a average 2017 season where we a good running team. Watch and see how many guys get drafted or get into camp from this 5-7 team. I think it could be more then we had for the Rose or Peach bowl. That tells me we had plenty of talent and the coaches, especially Cumbie wasted it.
It does merit a look:
Boykin: give him credit for Boykin or not.
Sawyer: did not develop, transferred out
Wooten: complete miss from the start. Looked like a child playing with men, could not make the throws, transferred out.
Hill: highly sought after recruit who was below average in 2016, limited but decent in 2017. Give Cumbie credit for limiting his mistakes but did he ever really play up to his base talent level?
Muehlstein: 5 year player never developed, see Cheeze-It Bowl
Robinson: recruited by everyone. Did not develop. Transferred out. It is said he wasn't a hard worker; we'll see what he does.
Collins: transfer developed at Penn. Looked ok but could not stay healthy. Transferring out.
Delton: transfer developed at KSU. Did not demonstrate that he could be even a game manager. Quit.
Duggan: true freshman developed by his dad. Displayed a lot of talent and toughness but struggled in the offensive scheme.
Downing: walk-on transfer developed at UGA.
Rogers: highest rated recruit only coached by Cumbie. Buried on depth chart, did not develop per staff evaluations, transferring.
Baldwin: transfer developed at tOSU. Injured, undetermined.

If I was a HC interviewing that guy for a job, he would have some explaining to do.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It does merit a look:
Wooten: complete miss from the start. Looked like a child playing with men, could not make the throws, transferred out.
Hill: highly sought after recruit who was below average in 2016, limited but decent in 2017. Give Cumbie credit for limiting his mistakes but did he ever really play up to his base talent level?
Robinson: recruited by everyone. Did not develop. Transferred out. It is said he wasn't a hard worker; we'll see what he does.
Collins: transfer developed at Penn. Looked ok but could not stay healthy. Transferring out.
Delton: transfer developed at KSU. Did not demonstrate that he could be even a game manager. Quit.
Duggan: true freshman developed by his dad. Displayed a lot of talent and toughness but struggled in the offensive scheme.
Rogers: highest rated recruit only coached by Cumbie. Buried on depth chart, did not develop per staff evaluations, transferring.

If I was a HC interviewing that guy for a job, he would have some explaining to do.
This reads like a CNN/Fox News article in the way you slanted each analysis to fit your agenda.

TRF51

It does merit a look:

Yet some say he is a good qb coach, don’t see it either and when you lay it out like you did it clarifies it.