• The KillerFrogs

Hoops Expectations

Skip Jansen

I'm curious to know what everyone's expectations are for the basketball program.

Not so much this year, but in general. Where do you see the Frogs in the Big 12 pecking order, as well as, nationally?

Also, what are the reasons you came to these expectations?

Listen, I understand that most fan bases have self awareness issues. Most think there is something 'special' or 'unique' about their school. I get that. All you have to do is follow one coaching search to come to this conclusion.

Also, this little exercise is not meant to be combative or to pick a side. I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

BABYFACE

A 500 record in conference play would be a good season imo and worthy of a NCAA bid. I do not know if they attain that but it is the goal. I could care less where they finish in the Big 12 if they can win half their conference games.

TCU_backer

Considering we have been awful at basketball since I was a freshman in college, I enjoy watching when I can. That said, not sure we have the coaching staff in place to be a player in Big 12 basketball. I will be happy if we are competitive.

MAcFroggy

I honestly think we will consistently be in the 6-10 range with the ability to hop into the top 3-5 range once every 5 seasons. I think making the NCAA tournament 2 out of every 5 season would be a realistic goal. In the big 12, you really only need to get to 8-10 in conferenec to make the tournament. I think we should be able to manage that 2 out of every 5 seasons.

LVH

Low, I've seen nothing out of this team that leads me to believe that being picked last in the preseason poll was wrong. And I am generally more optimistic than most when it comes to basketball.

I feel like this team feels to hastily thrown together, I don't see a lot of chemistry, especially consistent chemistry.

Clemson is a lower tier ACC team this year and USC is mediocre. I know we should have won both games but there is no margin for error.

As far as the rest of the Big 12 is concerned, I think this conference is taking a step back as a whole this year and won't be the clear cut #1 conference that is has been. With that being said, there are still teams out there that are better this year - Baylor, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas, and Kansas look better. Oklahoma looks about the same, perhaps a tad better. Texas Tech and Kansas State have both taken steps back, but Texas Tech still has potential(as seen beating Louisville). Iowa State is a wildcard.

That's the problem with the Big 12, there is no bottom. Which team can we reasonably say we are better than in the Big 12 this year? No one. I think Kansas State is the 2nd worst team, and Oklahoma State is the 3rd worst team, but I still think both teams are ahead of where we are at.

hiphopfroggy

need to be lowered.

Jalen Fisher and Kendric Davis.

Although it does seem Nembhard, Samuel and Fuller will see tremendous growth this year.

Hopefully the team improves throughout the season, I expect they will.

Skip Jansen

I appreciate everyone's answers so far. And, I realize the answers are going to have a wide range.

But, I'd also like to hear why each of you have your expectations. It can be anything-

-Tradition
-Fan support
-Recruiting Base
-Coach has won at other places
-Arena
-All players love wearing purple uniforms

it doesn't matter the reasons. There's no right or wrong answer. More 'big picture' instead of the current season.

4th. down

Had we not had the players quit, this team could finish 3rd. in conf., but alas, it wasn't to be. This year, win 4 conf. games. Next year 7 and about the same the next with 8 or even maybe 9. I still see us going after point and shooting guards, but we need more big's that can play.

As an aside, going on the road or at home, we are going to lose some games this year that we should have won because no FT shooters. It's kinda been this way since Jamie came - what is the problem here?

Froggish

Bi12 is to tough for anything more than 6 wins in conference this year.

Long term I don’t think we are ever going to be better than 4th-6th best in this conference. We have years of mediocrity that we have to overcome to build a consistent winning culture and challenge for a title. I think JD will elevate us to a consistent tournament team but it will be our next hire that makes us a contender

Portland Frog

Speaking of uniforms, wear the throwbacks more often please frogs.

The frogs must be better from the field (3 point shots included) and the FT line to get to .500 in conference this year, given the lack of size in the front court and the infrequency of running the offense through the post. If the shots aren’t falling, guys will have to slash to the bucket more to generate offense.

The young players must continue to get better *this* year. I’m excited to see Fuller because he has the ability to take it to the rack very well. And if Ledee can keep getting better, it no doubt will help spell Samuel. Defensive results seem to come and go, but I feel better about this phase than offensive consistency.

The frogs will remain very competitive with all Big 12 foes. The question is can they hit just enough shots and FTs to pull out the Ws.

Moose Stuff

My expectation for this year is that we finish last (or close to it) in the Big 12. My expectation for the program is that we can consistently finish near .500 in conference and battle for a top 3 spot every few years. I expect that because if we can’t expect anything better than just always being [ Finebaum ]ty them why be a fan or have a team?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Just keep the core of this team together this time, so that in the next 2-3 years we are a salty, experienced, battle proven team. Any success this year is gravy on top. Keep this formula moving forward. Avoid the portal when possible, and hopefully in 5 years we will be a consistent top 4 B12 team.

NCFRAWG

Before the renovations and Dixon it was not much. But now that we are more heavily invested, we need to see a return on investment.

IDK what happened last year in HI, but the program trajectory has been a spiraling mess. Nobody goes to games anymore. The Dickies arena was another blackeye for ADJD with the pricing of tickets, knew we would have an empty arena in our own town.

The worst part, is the team doesn't seem to have a direction. Do we think we are good? Play the freshman and build something.

Dixon also made a massive gamble last off season and lost, don't think I or the majority of the fanbase will forget that. Pretty tough look when you try to leave, then the new school can't get excited enough over you to cover the buyout....I think he is trying to coach for the next job personally. The alma mater thing holds zero weight with me anymore after that.

Moose Stuff

Before the renovations and Dixon it was not much. But now that we are more heavily invested, we need to see a return on investment.

IDK what happened last year in HI, but the program trajectory has been a spiraling mess. Nobody goes to games anymore. The Dickies arena was another blackeye for ADJD with the pricing of tickets, knew we would have an empty arena in our own town.

The worst part, is the team doesn't seem to have a direction. Do we think we are good? Play the freshman and build something.

Dixon also made a massive gamble last off season and lost, don't think I or the majority of the fanbase will forget that. Pretty tough look when you try to leave, then the new school can't get excited enough over you to cover the buyout....I think he is trying to coach for the next job personally. The alma mater thing holds zero weight with me anymore after that.

Speak for yourself. The Dixon/UCLA thing doesn’t bother me one bit at this point. Anyone with lingering issues with it that actually negatively impact their support of the coach or team is going out of their way to be bitter or probably wasn’t a big fan in the first place.

Wexahu

I don’t have any confidence that the coaching staff will elevate the team any higher than where the talent level suggests we should finish. So my expectations aren’t very high.

MTfrog5

Speak for yourself. The Dixon/UCLA thing doesn’t bother me one bit at this point. Anyone with lingering issues with it that actually negatively impact their support of the coach or team is going out of their way to be bitter or probably wasn’t a big fan in the first place.
I honestly forgot about it until I read that