• The KillerFrogs

Coaching Carousel 2019/20

flyfishingfrog

Spoken like someone who’s never hired anyone. Only way to ensure a “sure fire no doubter upgrade” is to wait until it can’t get any worse. I wonder...did anyone here or anywhere say that GP’s hiring was a “sure fire no doubter upgrade”? I strongly suspect that your list of “sure fire no doubter upgrade” has nobody on it
So explain to me how Norvell- a guy who had a considerably worse record at Memphis than GP did when we were in the MWC - is going to fix the issue and make us win more than we have so far in the B12?

Pharm Frog

So explain to me how Norvell- a guy who had a considerably worse record at Memphis than GP did when we were in the MWC - is going to fix the issue and make us win more than we have so far in the B12?

I didn’t say that he would. I don’t even know who the dude is other than watching a couple of games this year.

Moose Stuff

My point was that if we are going to get rid of GP at this point, it better be for a sure fire slam dunk no doubter upgrade. Because you don't just get rid of your most successful coach of all time after a couple of letdown seasons, especially where you were competitive and just couldn't get over the hump, unless you have a bulletproof backup plan.

So I was poking holes in the names listed, among which:

I think Norvell is a good offensive mind but I do not see him elevating Florida State back to their early 2010s level or near Clemson's level. Their defenses will suffer.

Drinkwitz isn't proven at all. He inherited a strong program and was there for one year. Heupel inherited a strong program last year and already has the program trending the wrong direction. Who is to say App State wouldn't have done the same.

Littrell's most recent season, lol. Looks like Graham Harrell was the brains of that operation

The problem with that is there really wasn’t anyone saying they wanted to fire GP and hire those guys instead. Most all of the comments were simply that those guys might make decent HC’s someday.

Pharm Frog

Sure looks like GP won't be firing anybody. Likely be the same we saw this year. And since that crew has not fixed rcvr issues and has shown no improvement in play calling, that worries me.
If GP keeps them on, it will all be on him next year. Cumbie better get his head straight and produce.
So explain why this year and last year weren’t also “all on him”?

Moose Stuff

Explain to me why he couldn’t. I feel pretty comfortable that he could at least find a way to win 5 or 6 games like we have 3 of the last 4 years. And no I’m not saying we should fire Gary.

flyfishingfrog

Explain to me why he couldn’t. I feel pretty comfortable that he could at least find a way to win 5 or 6 games like we have 3 of the last 4 years. And no I’m not saying we should fire Gary.

Is winning 5 or 6 games fixing the issue? I assume this is a passive aggressive inquiry instead of a serious question since no reasonable person would suggest that replacing the winningest coach in program history with a guy that achieves the same result that got the legend fired was the goal.

But to answer you question more directly - 38 and 15 vs 77 and 13

Norvell has more loses in 4 years than GMFP had in 7 seasons in the MWC.

So why would anyone assume he is going to show up and do "better" than GP when he is worse now than GP was in very similar circumstances?

Hemingway

The problem with that is there really wasn’t anyone saying they wanted to fire GP and hire those guys instead. Most all of the comments were simply that those guys might make decent HC’s someday.
One of the main reasons Norvell was hired... his buyout was 500k. Versus Campbell at ISU who had like 12 million buyout. The Platinum Chiefs wanted Campbell but they just paid 18 million to Taggart plus the 8 million to Oregon to hire Taggart originally, plus even money owed to USF by Oregon. Taggart was a disaster.
Additionally the FSU athletics department is in shambles, they don’t even really have a long term AD. Stoops took one look and said no thx. Norvell better buckle up, it going to be rocky.

Moose Stuff

Is winning 5 or 6 games fixing the issue? I assume this is a passive aggressive inquiry instead of a serious question since no reasonable person would suggest that replacing the winningest coach in program history with a guy that achieves the same result that got the legend fired was the goal.

But to answer you question more directly - 38 and 15 vs 77 and 13

Norvell has more loses in 4 years than GMFP had in 7 seasons in the MWC.

So why would anyone assume he is going to show up and do "better" than GP when he is worse now than GP was in very similar circumstances?

So you don’t have any reasons why he couldn’t. Got it. Gary went 32-16 his first four years at TCU by the way.

And just so we’re clear (I’ve already written it once)..... I’M NOT SUGGESTING THAT WE SHOULD HAVE REPLACED GP WITH NORVELL. I simply asked you a question (that you can’t answer).

flyfishingfrog

So you don’t have any reasons why he couldn’t. Got it. Gary went 32-16 his first four years at TCU by the way.

And just so we’re clear (I’ve already written it once)..... I’M NOT SUGGESTING THAT WE SHOULD HAVE REPLACED GP WITH NORVELL. I simply asked you a question (that you can’t answer).
Only past performance as opposed to [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] guessing and hoping - which is what FSU is doing

they are desperate and can’t pay over about 2 million because of past mistakes evidently

and he was much like GP during CUSA - and no one wanted to hire GP then either....