• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football is in no rush to make staff changes, despite disappointing 5-7 season

Frog-in-law1995

gene chizik in 2006 left the dc position at texas in november to take the iowa state head coaching job when dan mccartney was fired

chizik went to ames to interview during the week of a 45-42 loss to kansas state in manhattan

well that’s not a non-head coaching job.

Mean Purple

Also.... Everyone needs to look at history. Has GMFP ever fired a coach, even when they deserved it? No.

Shultz - He let him find a home at Illinois.

Meach - Found a job at KU.
There is a difference in letting then find a new home and letting them know they wont have a job and should find a new job quickly, which is what I think you meant.
Meach was pushed.

Mean Purple

IMO, GP made the right choice. Now, his 2 yr. review and probable minor changes to the offensive staff, IF ANY. More scheme change maybe but major changes, not IMO. GP, historically does not fire coaches - yes, he gently moved Schultz out and Williamson along with Meach but over 20 years, that's not much.
Yeah, but over 20 years he has not seen offenses this bad and impactful to games but once or twice.

flyfishingfrog

gene chizik in 2006 left the dc position at texas in november to take the iowa state head coaching job when dan mccartney was fired

chizik went to ames to interview during the week of a 45-42 loss to kansas state in manhattan
Yes but he went to be the head coach - that seems pretty common evidently

we were discussing if anyone we could think had left one staff to join another as an coordinator/assistant and announced it when their team had games left to play

because we aren’t looking for a HC - we need an OC

Eight

Yes but he went to be the head coach - that seems pretty common evidently

we were discussing if anyone we could think had left one staff to join another as an coordinator/assistant and announced it when their team had games left to play

because we aren’t looking for a HC - we need an OC

agreed, i referenced gene to reinforce the idea that such changes shortly after a season are rare because to do something as simple as go interview during the season is disruptive

college football doesn't have set rules preventing assistants to interview during the season, but i remember chizik being interviewed drew more than a few raised eyebrows as texas was ranked 4th and was fighting for a spot in the bcs when he flew to ames to interview prior to the kstate game

Limey Frog

Changes will be announced after either signing day ala Bumpas's retirement in 2015.

If that's the case then one of two things is happening. Either we're selling recruits a false bill of goods in terms of who their coaches will be, or we're not making very much in the way of substantive change. I'm still expecting the latter because that's just how GP tends to be. I hope I'm wrong because that would be utterly unacceptable in my opinion.

4th. down

No meaningful coaching changes + diminished talent = A somehow even more disappointing 2020 Football Season 4-8 to 2-10. Hopefully bottoming out will force change since a steady trend downward has not.

4-8 is not that bad because Cal and SMU are 50/50 IMO. I cannot see our receivers miraculously all of a sudden running routes and catching the passes nor the offensive line opening holes for Barlow/Foster or pass protection for Max/Baldwin. Why the change? Same coaches, same players, what's going to change for the better? Defense will be good so optimistic for 4 wins.

Cal ?
Prairie View W
SMU ?
OSU L
WV ?
KSt. ?
Baylor L
Texas ?
TT ?
Kansas W
OU L
Iowa St. ?

Last edited:

Big Frog II

Without a change Gary sadly could put himself on a hot seat. However, I believe he knows changes must be made, but I don't see them until after the 1st of the year.

Tumbleweed

Those of you who mentioned possible OC's on Killerfrogs etc.
Your absolutely wasting brain power b/c no one that matters is listening to your suggestions. If you could get into the stadium, arranged 600 souls and stood under Gary's office window and chanted your idea of potential OC for hours, it would make no difference. I say again, I'm not sure Patterson will make any changes. Personally, Gary knows he needs to change some personnel BUT how do you fire your OC when... I... the head coach... told the OC what to do, what to call? Man, for me, I'd have a hard time with that. Hell. I'm the blame.