• The KillerFrogs

Reagor going Pro.

berryfrog95

Jalen Reagor NFL Scouting Report

Cons:

Doesn’t utilize all of his strength when attacking the catchpoint, the ball can get dislodged by defensive backs. Ball skills can come and go, as he is not always reaching away from his frame. There has been concentration drops throughout his career at TCU, which can stem from his inconsistent ball skills.

Team sources say that Reagor has no clue how to run a route and will need to be coached up on that. Reagor has above-average hands for a smaller speed receiver, but he drops passes once in awhile.

As a junior and in the leadup to the draft, it would help Reagor if he showed an improved ability to run routes and also showed steadiness with his hands.
Sounds like KD Cannon.....smh

good luck Jalen, thanks again for your commitment to TCU, goes a long way

Opintel

Moderators
JR,

I really hope you do well in the camps and tryout sessions. Remember that there are lots of fast people trying out - you have to be mentally tough in the route and catching drills.

About 70% of this is located between your ears. Stay focused; you can do this!.

Shorty

If he and Duggan were on the same page on go routes Reagor would have double the TDs this season. Seemed like half were overthrown and half Reagor would give up or break off.

TRF51

What was he going to do, come back for one more year at TCU and "improve his craft"?!

With all the excellent coaches we have? Our offense does not require crisp route running. I think his numbers would be better if he came back but I don’t see him getting much better here if he would have stayed.

Limey Frog

With all the excellent coaches we have? Our offense does not require crisp route running. I think his numbers would be better if he came back but I don’t see him getting much better here if he would have stayed.

Chances he gets worse seem high-to-certain.

bcsbuster

Good luck to him. Think he would have been better off if he stayed. But now, we can focus on improving the existing WR corps without distraction. Taye Barber appears to have moved up to the #1 receiver by default and a lot of uncertainty after that. Based on this, our TEs must become a larger part of our passing game in 2020. I also wonder whether any of our 2020 receiver recruits can give immediate help or if we will look into the JUCO ranks. One benefit for recruiting is that we now have a QB we can advertise to recruits about who they can play with for the next 3 years.

What is a TE. I heard about them once on another team.

ThisIsOurTime

What is a TE. I heard about them once on another team.
We actually did start to use our TEs this year for a change. Obviously, I feel we should use them more but it is progress from the prior season where we hardly ever used them in the passing game. But from my perspective, we have two proven pass catching TEs that should only get better with more practice. Given that our receiving corps is not currently elite, it would only make sense to rely on the TEs more. I wouldn't even mind seeing 3 TE sets at times.

Cons:

Doesn’t utilize all of his strength when attacking the catchpoint, the ball can get dislodged by defensive backs. Ball skills can come and go, as he is not always reaching away from his frame. There has been concentration drops throughout his career at TCU, which can stem from his inconsistent ball skills.

Team sources say that Reagor has no clue how to run a route and will need to be coached up on that. Reagor has above-average hands for a smaller speed receiver, but he drops passes once in awhile.

As a junior and in the leadup to the draft, it would help Reagor if he showed an improved ability to run routes and also showed steadiness with his hands.

Dayum.

flyfishingfrog

Cons:

Without any real knowledge of the subject - I think Wex said it best that his metrics at the combine will out weigh his lack of numbers at TCU

And that might get him drafted - the question is can the NFL teach him to run routes so he can have a career

because we know one thing about the NFL - you have to run a route structure and timing that is on the same page as the QB or you will never see the field

as one great coach told a recent rookie QB - “you see the side of his helmet sticking out -that is open in the NFL”

and then can he make the catch in a crowd like that

Without any real knowledge of the subject - I think Wex said it best that his metrics at the combine will out weigh his lack of numbers at TCU

And that might get him drafted - the question is can the NFL teach him to run routes so he can have a career

because we know one thing about the NFL - you have to run a route structure and timing that is on the same page as the QB or you will never see the field

as one great coach told a recent rookie QB - “you see the side of his helmet sticking out -that is open in the NFL”

and then can he make the catch in a crowd like that

The thing that caught my eye about the route running.....was it because he's a meathead or because we don't have WR coach that can teach him?

TRF51

The thing that caught my eye about the route running.....was it because he's a meathead or because we don't have WR coach that can teach him?

I think it is a combination of coaching and our offense not requiring crisp route running. Probably one of the reason Doctson struggled so much, remember it was one of his weaknesses coming out.

flyfishingfrog

No idea really

seems like a lot of the talented WR don’t run strong routes because in HS they were just so much better than everyone they didn’t have to - like an 8th grader playing street ball with 4th graders

but then most of WRs don’t run good routes and can’t get separation - so maybe it’s coaching also?

TCURiggs

200.gif

GenXFrog

but then most of WRs don’t run good routes and can’t get separation - so maybe it’s coaching also?

Interestingly enough, Malcolm Kelly, our 1st year outside receivers coach, was one of the two coaches Reagor thanked, and one of the very few on staff with actual NFL experience.

I'm still hopeful about Kelly. CGP needs to help our inside receivers coach, much as he did Kelly's predecessor, on to other opportunities.

Wexahu

I think it is a combination of coaching and our offense not requiring crisp route running. Probably one of the reason Doctson struggled so much, remember it was one of his weaknesses coming out.

I don’t understand how a kid can spend 3-4 years in college supposedly working and training every day, and by the time they are done they don’t really know how to run pass routes well, or are “clueless” about it. Even if the offense doesn’t really “require” it, wouldn’t it still be helpful? And what else are they doing with their time? What are the WR coaches teaching them? Nothing?

And I’m not just talking about TCU. It’s prevalent throughout college football, receivers who don’t really have a clue about technical route running entering the draft.