• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football is in no rush to make staff changes, despite disappointing 5-7 season

Limey Frog

Some are already decommitting.

You're always going to lose a few recruits when you go 5-7. You can recover from down recruiting cycles. Baylor was 1-11 in 2017, for Pete's sake. What you can't recover from is systemically bad coaching and staff dysfunction. Taking the necessary weeks and days to get the process of fixing the latter right is entirely reasonable. Doing nothing would not be.

Meanwhile, the FWST has to sell papers on a repeating 24-hour cycle. That's a different problem external to TCU football.

Big Frog II

We certainly do not need to rush into this and make a bad decision. However, we DO need to do something. Everyone who follows TCU football knows that this lame offense cannot continue.

LawFrog504

Law, it's not just the play calling, it's the entire offense from play calling to QB development, to offensive line, to teaching receivers to get separation, to knowing how to catch a football, it's the whole scheissing system on offense.
Agree man- all the more reason to scrap this dumpster fire

Bring back SC! losing to WV was awesome! They are going to a NY6 bowl!

McGregor's Goat

Law, it's not just the play calling, it's the entire offense from play calling to QB development, to offensive line, to teaching receivers to get separation, to knowing how to catch a football, it's the whole scheissing system on offense.

100% agree. Play calling is overrated. Your offense is either good or bad before you take the field on game day. Our play calling may be bad, but that's not the reason our offense is so dreadful.

flyfishingfrog

Any OC worth having is STILL PLAYING FOOTBALL. Unless it is Chad Morris - I can't think of a candidate that wasn't working this weekend and isn't planning for a Championship game or a bowl game.

Any assistant coach is going to want to stay to finish the season and at least talk to their current HC before they decide to leave before a bowl game.

And as much as I would like to have Cumbie and about 3 others gone - I would hope no TCU coach EVER goes out his/her way to fire part of staff just to make a PR statement and buy themselves time in the eyes of the press and our fans.

Do it quietly, let them leave with your thanks and provide them support to find a new opportunity.

Last edited:

VA Froggie

The man has had two/three losing seasons in 19 let’s fire his butt. This is one wield board. i’ve been told by a hall of fame coach that we have a great coach. I happen to agree with him. He reminded me that Darrell Royal went 6-4 for three straight years then won a National Championship. Gary Patterson is as good as they get, his record speaks for itself. It is easy to be critical on this board since no one is accountable for their actions. Nuf said.

Bruce Berry

I'd much rather hear something like this than a tweet about recruiting at this point. Makes much more sense for many reasons.

“After taking time, looking back and evaluating the season in its totality, I am very disappointed in our performance in a number of areas in 2019,” Herman said in a statement. “7-5 will never be our standard at Texas, and I take full responsibility for any and all of our shortcomings and know we need to do a better job coaching across the board.”

Bruce Berry

The man has had two/three losing seasons in 19 let’s fire his butt. This is one wield board. i’ve been told by a hall of fame coach that we have a great coach. I happen to agree with him. He reminded me that Darrell Royal went 6-4 for three straight years then won a National Championship. Gary Patterson is as good as they get, his record speaks for itself. It is easy to be critical on this board since no one is accountable for their actions. Nuf said.

What coach told you that?

flyfishingfrog

I'd much rather hear something like this than a tweet about recruiting at this point. Makes much more sense for many reasons.

“After taking time, looking back and evaluating the season in its totality, I am very disappointed in our performance in a number of areas in 2019,” Herman said in a statement. “7-5 will never be our standard at Texas, and I take full responsibility for any and all of our shortcomings and know we need to do a better job coaching across the board.”
and then fired his staff and not himself....but didn't announce a single replacement - so he solved absolutely NOTHING.

Glad you were impressed him display of his manhood for all to see - "look at me, I am the man in charge - look how big it is"

Herman is the ultimate little man syndrome coach

Casey T

Coaches switch schools before bowl games all the time. Sometimes the old coach/coordinator will still coach in the bowl game and sometimes it's the new guy. I will wait to be pissed at GP until mid-January if nothing has been announced but think it is better to make moves sooner rather than later. The available talent pool will shrink over time

flyfishingfrog

Coaches switch schools before bowl games all the time. Sometimes the old coach/coordinator will still coach in the bowl game and sometimes it's the new guy. I will wait to be pissed at GP until mid-January if nothing has been announced but think it is better to make moves sooner rather than later. The available talent pool will shrink over time
name me the last coach that was not fired that announced he was leaving for a new position less than 72 hrs after the finish of the regular season?

4th. down

Is it even conceivable that GP would request someone with the stature of say Urban, to come in and do an evaluation of our offense from coaches to schemes, etc. and to put in play Urban's suggestions or at least seriously consider them. Personally, I don't think he would, too much ego.

flyfishingfrog

Is it even conceivable that GP would request someone with the stature of say Urban, to come in and do an evaluation of our offense from coaches to schemes, etc. and to put in play Urban's suggestions or at least seriously consider them. Personally, I don't think he would, too much ego.
yeah - i mean its not like he has ever brought in other head coaches to review things or used them as advisors....

what a tool - and I don't mean GP.

CountryFrog

Urban's advice would just be to cheat, lie, and steal at every opportunity and then claim memory loss once it turns bad on you.