• Fire Offensive Staff and make great hires

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • Demote Cumbie and hire an OC for play calling

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • No changes and we suffer another year

Votes: 37 32.2%

• Total voters

4th. down

Sonny probably stays and if he does, hopefully GP puts in a new offensive coaching system - QB position coach (does not have to be OC), Passing game receiver coach, running game coach (Luper). Bring in a new OC with Sonny as QB position coach and on field coach with the OC upstairs calling the plays in conjunction with the passing game and running game assistants. IMO, this would mean Kelly doesn't stay but he will keep Thomsen one more year as Thomsen's recruits begin to get into the mix.

Paint It Purple

Good post Purple IMO. Personally I like the younger set, kinda like Joe Brady at LSU, 29 yrs. old when he decided to leave the Saints - turns out it was a brilliant move for Brady and LSU, not for the Saints who were paying him $200K. Innovative with a lot of energy - immediately had Burrow and receivers throwing all summer - every day, working on routes and timing. Seems like it worked.
Can’t disagree with you, but out of the 30 young coaches in the article, which one is the next Brady? Real crapshoot.

DeuceBoogieNights

He was a hot commodity when he was Co-OC with Meacham. Who has tried to hire him away since he became the sole OC? I do agree that bad coaches get hired though and all it takes is one guy but I think it's far more likely he has to go the route of being an assistant or analyst somewhere to get his career back on track. And, I do think it's very possible that he is a guy who, if given the opportunity somewhere, might be a better HC than OC.

We are 63rd in total offense this year. You are acting like Tcu is dead last. There are plenty of other teams with offenses worse than ours that would like to improve. He isn't going to be an analyst somewhere.

4th. down

I bet Cumbie gets demoted to QB coach - a job he has not shown himself to actually be good at - and we shuffle Anderson, Burns, and Sharp around to new positions where they’ll continue to be ineffective. Thomsen becomes new co-OC with Luper and plays are called by a random number generator in the booth.

A great OC hire would be Kevin Johns of Memphis and it would be a lateral move but double his pay and we get him.

FrogAbroad

Is anyone wishing we could switch places with Baylor right now?

Yeah, maybe Waco is light on the Pappadeux, and the Brazos river isn't exactly Lake Tahoe, and Green and Yellow suck, and the entire sanctimonious atmosphere is over the top.

But at least Baylor knows how to run a clean program and win games.
This...goes beyond the level of " crazy as a [ Finebaum ]house rat."

flyfishingfrog

A great OC hire would be Kevin Johns of Memphis and it would be a lateral move but double his pay and we get him.
He only makes $200k - and I don’t think Memphis to TCU as really lateral

G5 to P5 would be considered a promotion
By most

the question is do we to replace Cumbie with another former OC from Tech?
He took a 50% pay cut when he went to Memphis so I imagine making 4-500k again would interest him a lot

TX_Krötenechse

By most

He took a 50% pay cut when he went to Memphis so I imagine making 4-500k again would interest him a lot
I would also be interested in making $4-500k thank you

4th. down

By most

Wasn't referring to that - OC to OC is still lateral positions, I think.

flyfishingfrog

Understand. But, a 29 year old OC on that list just beat Alabama. Although, it wasn’t long ago that a young hot shot named Cumbie was the darling of all on this forum.
I don’t think Dillingham calls plays - Gus calls all the plays at Auburn again

I actually don’t think he ever has - he was only an OC at Memphis 1 year and I thought Norvell called the plays there also

so not sure he will be what we need if we replace Cumbie

4th. down

I don’t think Dillingham calls plays - Gus calls all the plays at Auburn again

I actually don’t think he ever has - he was only an OC at Memphis 1 year and I thought Norvell called the plays there also

so not sure he will be what we need if we replace Cumbie

Well then if he isn't calling plays, we don't want to fall into that trap again.

flyfishingfrog

Well then if he isn't calling plays, we don't want to fall into that trap again.
Yes - that is a problem with a lot of the younger guys

most HCs are offensive coaches in their past and unless they are playing CEO - which is normally only larger programs- they want to call their own offense

Really common in G5 schools

thus a lot of up and coming OCs have never had the playbook control

4th. down

most HCs are offensive coaches in their past and unless they are playing CEO - which is normally only larger programs- they want to call their own offense

Yep, Brady comes to mind on passing downs.

robbroyy

By most

I know KJ and he’s an amazing person but he’s never called plays autonomously. He’s always been in position where the head coach has done it.

At Western Mich Lester did it.
At Tech Kliff did it.
This year Norvell does it.

Wexahu

I love having a defensive guy as a head coach. Much better alternative than the other way around. But he needs to hire an OC and let that guy hire his own people and run his own stuff. Having Cumbie as an OC and making him run this slow down non Air Raid spread, whatever the hell it is we’re running, is idiotic.