• The KillerFrogs

Our offensive line

Raw Frog

Having a GA coach the OL for 2 years followed by a year of Anderson probably didn't do us any favors with with recruiting or development either.

This point gets back to Gary not being a complete HC, thinking that this is acceptable. He had also put Anderson as the OC before that, thinking that was acceptable. He has determined that not having a ST coach is acceptable.
Looking at his pyramid now is nothing more than a pipe dream as someone pointed out.
He is an elite DC no doubt, but needs help in every other aspect. Time management, analytics, s/c, special teams, recruiting/evaluations/development, and all things offense.

frog-hat

This point gets back to Gary not being a complete HC, thinking that this is acceptable. He had also put Anderson as the OC before that, thinking that was acceptable. He has determined that not having a ST coach is acceptable.
Looking at his pyramid now is nothing more than a pipe dream as someone pointed out.
He is an elite DC no doubt, but needs help in every other aspect. Time management, analytics, s/c, special teams, recruiting/evaluations/development, and all things offense.
5 million is a lot for an elite DC

One Frog Nation

Next year will be one of those years where it wouldn’t surprise me if we go 4-8 and it wouldn’t shock me if we go 9-3. Gonna need to be ready right out of the gate because at Cal and at SMU aren’t going to be easy opening the season.
That is part of our scheduling problem. Almost always 6 homes games. Having 2 home and home games. Baylor has 6 Texas has 6 next year but both of them have a neutral site game. Tech/ KState have 7. Most SEC have either 7 or 8 home games.
I don't care if we play SMU every year, just only at home......

just ranting........

westoverhillbilly

T
I don't care if we play SMU every year, just only at home.............

I agree.. being nice to SMU by playing the home & home series that is considered as a old & strong rivalry is just not in our interest- the only truth is that it's old.. Playing them every other year in Dallas does give us a mostly reliable road win, but I'd rather have an extra home game or, negotiate a 2 or 3 in FW/1 in Dallas..

Bill Bozeat

Check out rob sale resume at Louisiana College. Killing it as OC and long history as OL coach including Arizona St with lots of yards yearly

Pharm Frog

Is it possible that the seniors this year who were not recruited by Thomsen just aren’t fits for what he likes to do and that our young guys from the last couple classes (and this year) that he did recruit will be better? We’ve certainly recruited well at the position since he arrived, especially the last two years.

I guess that’s possible but the zone passivity and odd half-run, half-pass blocking thing was so weird that I’m dubious. The tackles flaring and and revealing our tendencies just by their set was concerning if that’s by design. We didn’t even cut on shallow slants.

But I’m not sure even the best O line could hold up against our self-inflicted snap delays. Reminds me of a catcher and ump waiting while pitcher holds the ball in set position forever until everybody cramps.

How is it GP cant get a top notch o line.
I don't know that he can't as we have significantly improved recruiting there the last couple of years. As to why we didn't during the period of that arrangement--which is what we're paying for now, I would think that recruits may not have sensed a good deal of priority when one of the most important and technically difficult positions on the team is being coached by a GA and someone with absolutely zero experience coaching the position.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
"How do you feel about the execution of your offense."
"I'm for it."
-- John McKay on his Tampa Bay Buccaneers

And is GP really an elite defensive coach anymore?

flyfishingfrog

He’s got 6 national championships. He can hire who he wants and they will like it for a few years and then move on. Know anyone that’s been on his staff for 19 years?
So what point are you making?

that we have dead weight and Saban doesn’t allow that? Totally true and GPs biggest coaching problem really is that he keeps Anderson, Burns, etc when they are not performing and doesn’t like to fire people

if you are saying no one wants to coach here because of him and that is why those guys are still here - totally wrong. Name a coach that GP has offered a job but turned him down?

PO Frog

So what point are you making?

that we have dead weight and Saban doesn’t allow that? Totally true and GPs biggest coaching problem really is that he keeps Anderson, Burns, etc when they are not performing and doesn’t like to fire people

if you are saying no one wants to coach here because of him and that is why those guys are still here - totally wrong. Name a coach that GP has offered a job but turned him down?
Definitely yes on one, and who knows on two? We’ve never had an open position.

PO Frog

We have had a lot of open positions for coaches that moved on to other positions voluntarily

how do you think Cumbie got here to begin with?
Schultz went to Illinois and Fuente got a HC job. That’s two in twenty years. Some guys went with KP to Kansas when Beattie got hired. Should be noted none of those guys got canned. I think the only termination over the years is the UT guy that got a DUI.

flyfishingfrog

Schultz went to Illinois and Fuente got a HC job. That’s two in twenty years. Some guys went with KP to Kansas when Beattie got hired. Should be noted none of those guys got canned. I think the only termination over the years is the UT guy that got a DUI.
Look at the age of our staff- it’s obvious that outside of the three guys GP protects that a lot more than 2 guys have left or our entire staff would be 40+ not The current makeup

Already agreed he never fires anyone and that’s a problem with the dead weight

PO Frog

So your point is that GP treats coaches so badly that they stay for 19 years?
On to ignore. Don’t know why you like arguing with me so much but I don’t care for it so this will be the last comment that I will let you intentionally misread or be pedantic about.

I think he only hires his friends that will say yes to him and be loyal and reliant on him for a job. That’s why nobody innovative comes in and stays. And why nobody leaves. They get job security, GP gets ego security.