• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU quotable: Gary Patterson ‘not very happy’ after loss to West Virginia

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By Grant McGalliard

Gary Patterson was the lone TCU Horned Frog to speak to the media after TCU’s 20-17 loss to West Virginia Friday that ended the Frogs’ season and bowl hopes in one fell swoop. The Frogs ended the year at 5-7 (3-6 Big 12).

Here’s what Patterson had to say in an uncharacteristically short press conference.

His opening statement, and why no players spoke to the media: “Gotta make plays. Can’t give ball games away. Can’t play offense on 2nd and 15. Can’t keep drives alive with personal fouls. Plain and simple. Only a few times in my life since I’ve been here that we’ve lost when I hold people under 300 yards. And that’s happened twice this year. There won’t be any players talking. They’re not very happy with me right now and I’m not very happy with them to be honest with you. I feel sorry for my seniors I couldn’t get them back to a bowl game. Simple as that."

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...n-not-very-happy-after-loss-to-west-virginia/

Frog DJ

Every interviewer’s nightmare!

Other than his response to Estridge’s opening question, the rest of his responses where two or three words only, and Brian just finally said, “Terrific,” in a voice that dripped with sarcasm.

These two guys undoubtedly know each other very well, and I’m sure CGP was just angry and frustrated, but having been in his shoes many times I know exactly how Estridge feels.

Moments like that obligatory post-game EIB Network interview highlight the reason why Patterson doesn’t do or want to do a coach’s TV show, like some others do.

I felt sorry for Estridge, and they’ve got to be close friends, so I would assume CGP will somehow make amends, but that exchange was awkward at best.

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

Mean Purple

By Grant McGalliard

Gary Patterson was the lone TCU Horned Frog to speak to the media after TCU’s 20-17 loss to West Virginia Friday that ended the Frogs’ season and bowl hopes in one fell swoop. The Frogs ended the year at 5-7 (3-6 Big 12).

Here’s what Patterson had to say in an uncharacteristically short press conference.

His opening statement, and why no players spoke to the media: “Gotta make plays. Can’t give ball games away. Can’t play offense on 2nd and 15. Can’t keep drives alive with personal fouls. Plain and simple. Only a few times in my life since I’ve been here that we’ve lost when I hold people under 300 yards. And that’s happened twice this year. There won’t be any players talking. They’re not very happy with me right now and I’m not very happy with them to be honest with you. I feel sorry for my seniors I couldn’t get them back to a bowl game. Simple as that."

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...n-not-very-happy-after-loss-to-west-virginia/
"... when I hold them ..."?
Good gosh. He is the head coach. He has not had his staff fix the issues that have been going on for multiple years. That's where he can say "I".

Froggy Style

Shows coach cares more about the yards than the win. He’d rather blitz everyone to hold the to few yards, even if it’s gives up the TD and the loss.

Riverboat gambler lost 6 winnable games this year with this tactic.

I is appropriate when YOU called the one on one coverage at the end of a game and up by four.

HToady

A few years ago, when we didn't make a bowl, Gary came in to Colonial and sat down at the table where I was sitting. He said how much he hated not making a bowl, because his wife presented him with a "honey do" list.

Everyone be sure to drive by Gary's house this off season and honk when you see him up on a ladder, cleaning out gutters.....

I don't see the big deal with the interview. They just lost, the coach is mad. He reacted like any coach would. He isn't going to name his changes, he is going to evaluate then come with a calm head. Patterson cares more than any of us and is pissed with himself, with his staff, with how TCU played. I totally thought this was going to be the answers. He isn't like Matt Rhule who can God bless everything because nothing is expected, no high expectations on the season and no matter what Gary says nobody will be satisfied because this season was such a failure of a season. I'm guessing Longhorns are feeling the same way.

I will say changes are in order you don't want to be in the bottom of the Big 12 with a bunch of teams with new coaches. Someone has to be on the bottom and I dont want to see TCU become the next Kansas, the team you can always count on to beat. TCU has the youth and the talent to move back up quickly. Next two years are going to be the most important two years for TCU in the Big 12 with being a top Big 12 team.
And then overall, nobody knows what is going to take place with these conference TV contracts. TCU needs to have a great football resume and be strong when those contracts are being decided as who knows what will come of it. I trust Patterson. TCU has some good people that will have to make some hard decisions.

Bruce Berry

Too Young
Too injured
They had our signs
Go talk to Cumbie
The fans suck
The field was too wet
Bad calls
Secret Squirrel stuff-(Niang)
I do evaluations at the end of the year
I do evaluations throughout the year
Bowl games are a headache for the coaches
The exam schedule would have been a problem

He does himself a great disservice in these pressers.

Message points for this week:
I'm sorry for our seniors. I'm sorry for our fans. We didn't achieve our goals and I'm ultimately responsible. I assure you I am going to do everything possible to turn this around including evaluating all of our staff. My track record indicates I can and will do it.

PS Don't mention Andy Dalton. Nobody cares.

Moose Stuff

Shows coach cares more about the yards than the win. He’d rather blitz everyone to hold the to few yards, even if it’s gives up the TD and the loss.

Riverboat gambler lost 6 winnable games this year with this tactic.

I is appropriate when YOU called the one on one coverage at the end of a game and up by four.
You watched us play 12 games this season (I assume) and came to the conclusion that we lost 6 of them because we blitzed too much?????

Eight

Nobody said that. But some have taken to parsing every word he says in attempt to identify something wrong.

believe as you wish and my comment is not about gary's choice of pronoun.

the comment about total yards is what struck me be cause this program seems focused on that and I am sure if osu gains the required yardage we will see a tweet from cohen talking about how tcu once again is ranked #1 in total defense which doesn't mean [ Finebaum ]

gary says he doesn't give up less than 300 yards of total offense and lose. here is a stat i am pretty damn sure you won't see from cohen. tcu has given up less than 300 yards of offense 3 times this year to big 12 foes and lost. going one step further the frogs gave up a late 95 yard drive to kstate with the score tied halfway through the 4th, a late drive to baylor to tie the game, and a late drive to wvu to give up a lead

flyfishingfrog

believe as you wish and my comment is not about gary's choice of pronoun.

the comment about total yards is what struck me be cause this program seems focused on that and I am sure if osu gains the required yardage we will see a tweet from cohen talking about how tcu once again is ranked #1 in total defense which doesn't mean [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]

gary says he doesn't give up less than 300 yards of total offense and lose. here is a stat i am pretty damn sure you won't see from cohen. tcu has given up less than 300 yards of offense 3 times this year to big 12 foes and lost. going one step further the frogs gave up a late 95 yard drive to kstate with the score tied halfway through the 4th, a late drive to baylor to tie the game, and a late drive to wvu to give up a lead
So your point is that our defense has to always make the final stop or we lose because our offense can never make the final score to win it?

Seems pretty accurate