• The KillerFrogs

Max Duggan

arlingtonbell

Theres no way to accurately assess Max improvement with the cast around him. Not only do we seemingly drop 7 to 8 passes a game, some are absolutely HUGE big time throws. But we usually volleyball at least 1 into a defenders hands and allow them to return it inside the red zone. And Cumby my goodness is it really that difficult to move the pocket for a QB who is a running threat to give him options and simplify his reads? Gonna be hard to compete with the OUs of the conference offensively when not 1 receiver(exception Raegor) would see the field for them. 17 points will NEVER be enough to win consistently in this conference

Froggish

While we are all contemplating whether Max showed any improvement over the season, can someone tell me one single offensive player who showed any tangible improvement over the course of the season?

In my opinion we saw exactly two 1...Max/Barber..everyone else was virtually the same guy that showed up against APB. It’s easy to isolate the QB but he’s has to have help

Wexahu

While we are all contemplating whether Max showed any improvement over the season, can someone tell me one single offensive player who showed any tangible improvement over the course of the season?

In my opinion we saw exactly two 1...Max/Barber..everyone else was virtually the same guy that showed up against APB. It’s easy to isolate the QB but he’s has to have help

I think the tight end proved he could be a threat but other than that you have a good point. I am at a loss, I just know this offense isn’t effective, I have no hope that it ever will be effective, and something major needs to change. I can’t stand watching it anymore and I’m sure I’m not alone.

JAB331

can someone tell me one single offensive player who showed any tangible improvement over the course of the season?
Good point, I can't. That's pretty damning on the whole offensive side of the ball. Now the defense, I saw plenty of players improve. We need a big name OC who could step up to be the HC when Gary retires...

Froggish

I think the tight end proved he could be a threat but other than that you have a good point. I am at a loss, I just know this offense isn’t effective, I have no hope that it ever will be effective, and something major needs to change. I can’t stand watching it anymore and I’m sure I’m not alone.

I’ll give you the TE spot but it, like everything else, wasn’t very consistent.

The system we are running out there isn’t working. It’s irrelevant whether anyone here believes Cumbie is a good QB coach, recruiter, OC, or all around good guy. For 3 years we have watched bad offense. KHill as a Senior was able to make a few things work but even that was pulling teeth.

tcufrogprince1

Let me preface this by saying I have given a considerable amount of dollars to our football program (north of $25,000). I am not the biggest donor but I have certainly supported our program. Also, I got completely ripped by my so called friends or fan base a few weeks ago when I said Max Duggan is not a good QB. We should all be entitled to an opinion without getting completely shredded. I stand by the claim that Duggan is not very good as many of his decisions and throws were questionable all season. In fact, he threw quite a few flat out ducks and consistently threw into coverage.

He had a couple of good games but he is not the long term answer in my opinion and is now responsible for one of the two worst seasons we have had in the last 20 years. I don't care how much he cares or how competitive he is, he didn't get it done over a 12 game season. Any comparisons to Andy Dalton should cease now. I'm hurting just like all of you but we can't keep defending a player because he tries hard. Results are results...
He is a FRESHMAN. He did better than any starting Freshman in a much tougher league and that include Boykin and Dalton. He will be even better next year and have a OC who puts him in a winning position more often. Duggan is a good qb. Its not even a question. Your donations dont make you a good scout. Only a good booster.

wilson912

Good point, I can't. That's pretty damning on the whole offensive side of the ball. Now the defense, I saw plenty of players improve. We need a big name OC who could step up to be the HC when Gary retires...
Really good point. What the heck with Jet Anderson? Gotta be a reflection on our OL!

4th. down

Well, for the most part, I thought the TE's showed improvement or at least we used them, and it was successful, but your point is well taken.

Billy Clyde

And who do you want the OC to be so that you’ll come to the games?

you know what they say about coaches that rely on the advice from the fans. When that’s your sounding board you usually end up sitting with them.

I'd take a decent HS OC right now over what we have seen from SC since he got the gig. The [ Finebaum ] they are doing is putrid. We are in a league that demands lots of yards and points, and we are trying to win by punting and playing defense. With very predictable results.

OmniscienceFrog

Have not read this whole thread. But I will ask one thing though. Even though Max is a true freshman, he pretty much played the whole season. Did he improve? I’m afraid to say, I don’t think so. Is that a scary thought?
No.

I'd say a much scarier thought is that there is somebody out there, that watched all the games since the beginning of the season, that can honestly say he didn't improve any over the course of the season.

robbroyy

I'd take a decent HS OC right now over what we have seen from SC since he got the gig. The [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] they are doing is putrid. We are in a league that demands lots of yards and points, and we are trying to win by punting and playing defense. With very predictable results.
Do you have any names so you know whether the guy you’re getting is actually an upgrade? Just because you see a new name on the door, does not make him automatically better.

You’d think it wouldn’t be hard to upgrade, but I’m leery that GP will actually let the OC have his way and hire his whole staff, and run as aggressive a style as he likes.

y2kFrog

Really good point. What the heck with Jet Anderson? Gotta be a reflection on our OL!

Play calling too. One time yesterday we ran right on 2nd and 3 and the whole West Virginia defense was in the backfield. They knew exactly what play was coming, and DA lost 2 yards. He had no chance, heck even the OL had no chance.

AroundWorldFrog

I will admit there are a lot of problems on offense but no one has given me any concrete reason as to why Duggan is going to be so good, final stats on ESPN: 166 completions on 303 attempts, 54.86% completion rate, 58.3 QBR, first 6 games=0 interceptions, last 6 games=10 interceptions, also, these stats do not include the untimely fumbles he had throughout the season

Wonder if any of that has to do with the mangled finger he suffered on his throwing hand possibly. No one seems to remember that.

Pharm Frog

Sack stats in the Big 12

TCU: 30 in 395 passing attempts
UT: 33 in 451 attempts
TTU: 18 in 531 attempts
OU: 15 in 306 attempts (1 game remaining)
OSU: 21 in 302 attempts (1 game remaining)
KU: 21 in 358 attempts (1 game remaining)
ISU: 13 in 422 attempts (1 game remaining)
WV: 21 in 454 attempts
KSU: 20 in 277 attempts (1 game remaining)

and the really weird one:

BU: 28 in 335 attempts (1 game remaining)