• The KillerFrogs

Meacham

archifrog

Saw him at tonight’s game and have seen him attending other TCU games this season...wish whatever differences he has with the coaching staff could be put behind...He and Sonny....two great minds together..

Froggish

Saw him at tonight’s game and have seen him attending other TCU games this season...wish whatever differences he has with the coaching staff could be put behind...He and Sonny....two great minds together..

Meachum seems like a good guy and he’s passionate about air raid. I know he does lots of clinics teaching the system.

Want to know who isn’t passionate about the air raid...most everyone but Leach and Meachum..Most importantly GP isn’t a fan. Before people start talking about Riley being an Air Raid guy let me remind you he runs the ball more than anyone in the B12. The game has largely evolved beyond that system and I for one hope we never see again around here.

Chico Dusty

Bro.... come off it. Sure he’s a great dude(that we know of). He’s not the answer. Let’s be forward thinking and get someone new and innovative or that is desirable. This formula is not that hard.

Last edited:

bc puckett

Meachum seems like a good guy and he’s passionate about air raid. I know he does lots of clinics teaching the system.

Want to know who isn’t passionate about the air raid...most everyone but Leach and Meachum..Most importantly GP isn’t a fan. Before people start talking about Riley being an Air Raid guy let me remind you he runs the ball more than anyone in the B12. The game has largely evolved beyond that system and I for one hope we never see again around here.
I could be completely wrong about this but I seem to remember that the whole Meacham/Cumbie “air raid” deal was pretty much based on the.athletic ability of Treyvon Boykin and not some genius offensive scheme Do we need a new OC? Yes. But if Doug Meachem is the answer we shouldn’t even be asking the question

I could be completely wrong about this but I seem to remember that the whole Meacham/Cumbie “air raid” deal was pretty much based on the.athletic ability of Treyvon Boykin and not some genius offensive scheme Do we need a new OC? Yes. But if Doug Meachem is the answer we shouldn’t even be asking the question

Too much credit given to just Boykin. Without Doctson, Boykin wasn't near the QB everyone thought he was.

while i don't want a pure air raid system, I'd sure like the pendulum to swing back that direction some. The short side option we've been running as of late was a relic at the end of Wackers reign.

Limey Frog

Too much credit given to just Boykin. Without Doctson, Boykin wasn't near the QB everyone thought he was.

Yeah, anyone could scheme their way to victory with those two. And let's be honest, how many times in 2015 did we win games with Tre just running around until Doctson got open, then heaving it to him?

Great minds? I'm not buying that. At this point what we need is a coaching staff top to bottom that gets kids to play their best with mastery of fundamentals. Just about any scheme will get you success if you do those things consistently. What, exactly, is Baylor's offense? Whatever it is, it isn't a work of genius. We'll, they're 10-1. Why? Because they've played eleven games and only been a disorganized disaster on both sides of the ball for three quarters: one vs. Iowa State didn't cost them, two vs. Oklahoma did.

How many quarters like that have we had? Are those the real identity of our team or the outliers? I think it's the former. It's been that way for a few years now, including under Meach.

Froggish

You people that think the entire offense was just Boykin heaving bad passes to Doctson in 14 and 15 need to go back and watch those games. Your memory is much different than reality.

We mixed it up pretty well in 14 but less so in 15..We put up huge numbers in 15 but leaned really hard on Doctson and Boykin panic scrambles. Ran the ball surprisingly well both years. Having said that, there is a reason nobody outside of Leach runs that system any longer.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We mixed it up pretty well in 14 but less so in 15..We put up huge numbers in 15 but leaned really hard on Doctson and Boykin panic scrambles. Ran the ball surprisingly well both years. Having said that, there is a reason nobody outside of Leach runs that system any longer.
I don’t want to run the system or bring back Meacham. I just find this narrative tiresome.

It’s like the 50+ posts from last night talking about OU’s terrible defense. The same defense that is #1 in the Big 12. People post their feelings too often without any basis in facts. It annoys me.

CountryFrog

You people that think the entire offense was just Boykin heaving bad passes to Doctson in 14 and 15 need to go back and watch those games. Your memory is much different than reality.
Doctson was really good in 14 but he wasn't GREAT yet, at least not consistently. He also missed a little time with injury that year and had a couple other games where he was playing with injury and didn't do much.

He was truly great in 15 but then didn't play the last 4 or 5 games, same with Boykin. During that whole time we went 23-3. We had terrific TEAMS those years. Yes, of course, Boykin and Doctson were the best players and deserve a ton of credit but every great team has 2 or 3 great players leading the way making great plays.

I say absolutely none of this in defense of any coaches that are here or were here but it's also hugely naive to believe the coaches were just standing on the sidelines with their thumb up their arse while Boykin ran around and threw the ball straight up in the air praying that Doctson would catch it.

Wexahu

I think for the most part that defenses have figured out how to defend the Air Raid. Three down lineman with a very soft front, flood the intermediate zone with defenders and just dare teams to run it over and over. Most Air Raid guys just have no interest in really sticking with it, their default is to pass, pass, pass. And since everything is shotgun, there are no quick hitting runs so the defense isn’t hurt by playing soft and it forces big fat lineman to run block in space which they aren’t good at.

You’re right, I think it’s come full circle to a degree. Running games are coming back, they are just different than they used to be, and it’s what Riley is so good at.

UltimateFrog

I’m not in favor of bringing Meacham back other than as an “analyst”, but go watch some 2015 games. That offense utilized the entire field.

y2kFrog

I think it's weird that people say that the offensive coordinator from our 2 best offensive years ever is not the answer. I doubt there would be a situation he would come back, but some of these takes are bizarre.

froginmn

Yeah, anyone could scheme their way to victory with those two. And let's be honest, how many times in 2015 did we win games with Tre just running around until Doctson got open, then heaving it to him?
Ok-then-look-away.gif

Wexahu

Not as bad as it does now. The 2016 team put up 46 points an 510 yards on OU.

OK, but a less sucky version of what we run isn't going to get many people excited. There are a whole lot of capable OCs out there to go get. GP needs to figure out which one he wants, what kind of offense he want to have on this team, and then hire the guy and let him do his job, including bringing in some of his own staff if that's what the new guy wants to do. What we have and what we are running flat out isn't working and we can't afford to stick with it, no matter which players stay or go.