• The KillerFrogs

Beaumont Enterprise: Newton’s Sylvester de-commits from TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Newton’s Sylvester de-commits from TCU

By Thomas Scott

James Sylvester, the defensive end for the back-to-back state champion Newton Eagles, released a note on Twitter Thursday evening announcing that he had re-opened his recruitment.

"First off, I would like to thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to further my education and to play the sport that I love on the next level," Sylvester wrote. "However, I will be de-committing from TCU, and re-opening my recruitment."

During the regular season, the former TCU committ continued to be a force on the Eagles' defensive line. Not including playoffs, he has recorded 19 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, an interception, two fumble recoveries and a defensive touchdown.

Read more at https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/...-s-Sylvester-de-commits-from-TCU-14853734.php

Frog-in-law1995

Sufferin’ succotash...

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Moose Stuff

With the transfer portal, Mr. Sylvester's decision does not mean a thing anymore.

Not just directing this at you, but you guys do realize that the transfer portal has ALWAYS been there right? We might not have called it that but how do you think we got guys like Ben Banogu, Josh Doctson, Aaron Green, Matt Schobel, Aaron Curry, Kenny Hayter, Kenny Hill, Bram Kohlhousen, Derek Canine, John Diarse, Ja’Juan Story...... ???? I get it’s more prevalent/glorified now (due to social media IMO) but the ability to do it has been there just the same.

One Frog Nation

Not just directing this at you, but you guys do realize that the transfer portal has ALWAYS been there right? We might not have called it that but how do you think we got guys like Ben Banogu, Josh Doctson, Aaron Green, Matt Schobel, Aaron Curry, Kenny Hayter, Kenny Hill, Bram Kohlhousen, Derek Canine, John Diarse, Ja’Juan Story...... ???? I get it’s more prevalent/glorified now (due to social media IMO) but the ability to do it has been there just the same.
Yes, but the major difference now and 5, 10 or more years ago is that immediate eligibility is given a majority of the time. If you have to sit a year, you might not transfer

Moose Stuff

Yes, but the major difference now and 5, 10 or more years ago is that immediate eligibility is given a majority of the time. If you have to sit a year, you might not transfer

Sure. But the “transfer portal” isn’t the reason for that. The NCAA for whatever reason just started being way more lenient. And the grad transfer immediate eligibility thing has always been there as well (Russell Wilson). To me the big change is that media/social media has glorified it and it’s just more mainstream to the kids these days.

helcap

Transfers have always occurred , but the NCAA sponsored on line clearinghouse , which was dubbed "the portal" is only a couple of seasons old. It has made the process more efficient , but don't think it has added much to the number. What it has done is made it more transparent. In the past you often didn't know until after the season ended that some player was looking to transfer. Of greater impact IMO is the four game redshirt limit. It has certainly led to more players leaving teams after the season has started.

Last edited: