• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson hears complaints about co-OC Sonny Cumbie, but won’t make ‘rash’ decision

Planks

So if Cumbie is retained & demoted, does that mean he becomes another one of GP's "buddies"? I understand the sentiment to keep SC on staff for recruiting purposes, but what has he really proven as far as being some sort of QB guru? Since Boykin, who has he developed?

Well in fairness to Cumbie, he was a GA under Mike Leach, a WR coach under Tommy Tubberville, and a Co-OC/WR coach under Kliff Kingsbury. So even if Cumbie isn’t a great play caller or OC, he’s at least somebody that multiple other qualified P5 head coaches wanted on their staff.

On the other hand, I’m not sure we could find three P5 head coaches not names “Gary Patterson” who would want Anderson, Burns, and Sharp on their staff. Thats the difference in my mind. Cumbie is a legitimate P5 level coach, just maybe not one who should be solely in charge of the offense.

Froggish

IF SC is the great QB coach, as many folks in the know way he is, wonder if there is a chance he stays, but another OC calls the offense. In reality, I think he is gone. Would seem hard for a person take that kick in the gut and stick around. However, IF that were the case and he stuck around and continued to grow, the experience under/with a new OC could be just what he needs to take it to a big level.

I still have yet to see any proof that Sonny is a good QB coach but that’s the narrative everyone seems to want to be true. Your right about it being hard to stick around after being demoted. I also not convinced that’s a good idea. A QB coach and OC are generally one in the same or work incredibly close. I would think a brand new OC would want his guy to help him implement his system.

asleep003

Patterson slowed the scheiss out of the offense. You can question Cumbie play calling but ultimately he’s running an offense that is a shell of what he came here to run.

Changing out cumbie doesn’t fix the problem. Either having better players or going to a modern offensive scheme is the way to go.

If that’s cumbie great. But call me pessimistic that Patterson is going to hire someone new that will bring the up tempo spread we all know is where college football is going.
You might want to slow things down a bit considering we have a Fr QB who was quaterbacking in HS this time last year, in Iowa.

Forgoing all our other issues, if we could have caught 1/2 of all those Drops, we more than likely could be 6-3 or even possibly have a 7-2 record.

https://spreadoffensefootball.com/how-to-use-jet-motion-in-the-spread-offense/

Somebody...Quick...Get this to Sonny...He has roughly 12 hours to digest this and get his head out of his ass
I think if I was a college OC, I might want to spend some time reviewing this work:
https://rileykolstefootball.com/2019/03/18/book-preview-breaking-down-the-2018-oklahoma-offense-2/

I'm not a college OC so I didn't buy the book but did read through the excerpt a while back and it is illustrative of how Riley has evolved from the basic "air raid" concepts into something that is a pretty decent approach to creating a modern offense that is very difficult to defend.