• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: Tuition to exceed $50,000 moving forward

steelfrog

Tier 1
Yikes. It’s barely worth half of that for an undergrad degree. The very best job you could land with a bachelors degree alone would pay what.. around $100k for some engineering or corporate job perhaps (not counting sweetheart deals into a relative’s business).

No doubt, and when full tuition at UT and A&M is around $10k, why would anyone even a rich person consider TCU as an option? It makes literally zero economic sense.

audiofrog

In all seriousness the Universiry should start paring down majors if they charge that much. Music performance, music Ed, elementary and secondary education, acting degrees. 300k for a music education degree??? Crazy

froginmn

i buy the logic that you spend money on the faculty to improve the quality of the education.

i buy the logic on class size etc...but what i don't buy is the new dorms or the campus environment that in no way replicates the real world.

the only logic to me is that to sell the price tag you need the bright and shiny campus which seems contrary to the message of selling the value of the education
Agree but I will say that when you do a campus tour everything is very impressive and TCU stands out from that perspective. Probably not worth the price to many but it's likely that some fall in love for that reason.

flyfishingfrog

The annual cost of attendance at the University of Tulsa is now at $53,148...and I assure you TU doesn't offer half the product or environment that TCU does.

https://utulsa.edu/financial-aid/tuition-costs/

The new TU president has proposed sweeping cuts in the academic programs the university will offer--all budget-driven. He faces a faculty vote of no confidence today.
You are going to ruin the belief of some of the people on this thread that think TCU is the only school with high tuition issues....that TCU is just gouging students for profit

UltimateFrog

Agree but I will say that when you do a campus tour everything is very impressive and TCU stands out from that perspective. Probably not worth the price to many but it's likely that some fall in love for that reason.

I’ve spoke a few people from around the country (relatives, etc) who have said TCU was the best campus they’ve been to. And these are people who toured highly regarded campuses coast to coast.

Harvard dorms are terriawful FWIW

flyfishingfrog

In all seriousness the Universiry should start paring down majors if they charge that much. Music performance, music Ed, elementary and secondary education, acting degrees. 300k for a music education degree??? Crazy
I definitely agree with this - VBo won’t even talk to me about it anymore after my granddaughter majored in Communications and I asked him what companies come to recruit at TCU for that degree and the answer was none

of course I also told her to pick a different major and she ignored me because she thought getting a degree meant she would get a job regardless

flyfishingfrog

No doubt, and when full tuition at UT and A&M is around $10k, why would anyone even a rich person consider TCU as an option? It makes literally zero economic sense.
Because only the top 5% get into those schools

and the total cost of attendance at both of those schools for student not living on campus (which is basically anyone not a freshman) is well over $35k a year due to actual housing and living expenses for off campus living

steelfrog

Tier 1
Because only the top 5% get into those schools

and the total cost of attendance at both of those schools for student not living on campus (which is basically anyone not a freshman) is well over $35k a year due to actual housing and living expenses for off campus living

Not true, at all.

Steel has had 3 kids go to those schools, and none were top 5%.

And your estimates for living expenses is wildly inaccurate. $25,000 to live for 9 months on College Station? Not hardly. You can get a decent apartment in CS for $4-500 (Steel has done this). Total cost including tuition without any assistance is under $20k.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I’ve spoke a few people from around the country (relatives, etc) who have said TCU was the best campus they’ve been to. And these are people who toured highly regarded campuses coast to coast.

Harvard dorms are terriawful FWIW

Harvard campus is a dump, for real. UPenn too. Northwestern blows too though they are upgrading. Rice blows. Lots of schools have not great accommodations. On the other hand, there are MANY campuses better than TCU's (partly owing to the physical environment). Pepperdine, UVA, VaTech, App State, Boudoin, Steel could go on and on.

Steel's thought on school's having crap accommodations for students: Good. The kids should live in relative squalor to be encouraged to do like their parents did and Get a Job, Sir!

The idea of paying a premium so kids can live better than Steel can at his house is high comedy. Especially when that is at the expense of a premium education.

flyfishingfrog

Not true, at all.

Steel has had 3 kids go to those schools, and none were top 5%.

And your estimates for living expenses is wildly inaccurate. $25,000 to live for 9 months on College Station? Not hardly. You can get a decent apartment in CS for $4-500 (Steel has done this). Total cost including tuition without any assistance is under $20k.
When? - 10 years ago?

you might check the state published entrance standards if you don’t think you have to be top of your class (except athletes) to get in to either- at least out of high school

I have a grandkid at both right now - I help pay for both every month and every semester

you can’t sign a 9 month lease in either city to start - so you are wrong on that front

with the new apartments in college station starting at $2k/month - every rent in town doubled in the last decade unless you want to live 20 mins from campus and drive. Home prices have gone crazy since they moved to the SEC and rents for those are even worse

you can’t live in the Youth Hostile in Austin anywhere near UT for $500/month. You have to get well over 20 mins from campus to see anything close to that. Anything that would be considered close enough to campus to not being a commuter student is going to run you twice that to start and you better find roommates to get it that low.

then you have to pay commuting expenses for car, gas, parking and the cost of living in a city that is 30% more expensive than Ft Worth

and again - if you got into UT out of high school and had applied to TCU with early acceptance - your would have most likely qualified for enough aid to make the difference pretty small

It’s not the same level but acting like UT or Aggy is so cheap so why doesn’t everyone just go there is not true at all

Frog-in-law1995

Harvard campus is a dump, for real. UPenn too. Northwestern blows too though they are upgrading. Rice blows. Lots of schools have not great accommodations. On the other hand, there are MANY campuses better than TCU's (partly owing to the physical environment). Pepperdine, UVA, VaTech, App State, Boudoin, Steel could go on and on.

Steel's thought on school's having crap accommodations for students: Good. The kids should live in relative squalor to be encouraged to do like their parents did and Get a Job, Sir!

The idea of paying a premium so kids can live better than Steel can at his house is high comedy. Especially when that is at the expense of a premium education.

Agree with all of this. Bowdoin is a gem that nobody here seems to know about.

steelfrog

Tier 1
When? - 10 years ago?

you might check the state published entrance standards if you don’t think you have to be top of your class (except athletes) to get in to either- at least out of high school

It’s not the same level but acting like UT or Aggy is so cheap so why doesn’t everyone just go there is not true at all

Well gee let's see, Steel has 2 at A&M right now, and pays all the bills; and had one graduate UT last year, and paid all the bills for 4 years there. So, if your experience is different, maybe you are getting ripped off. And none of Steel's 3 that went there was top 5%.

There's cheap ways to do everything and expensive ways to do everything, you must be on the expensive side. Steel doesn't roll that way. Indulging the kids in college isn't gonna happen.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Agree with all of this. Bowdoin is a gem that nobody here seems to know about.

Bowdoin is. They have just a terrific museum on the campus there, something like the museum of arctic exploration. Gorgeous campus. Would never send a kid there though, unless somehow it was reasonably priced. Expensive school.