• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: Tuition to exceed $50,000 moving forward

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Tuition to exceed $50,000 moving forward

By Robbie Vaglio

TCU will tip the tuition scale next fall as the price of attendance will exceed $50,000.

On Friday, the board of trustees set tuition for the 2020-21 academic year at $51,570, or 4.9% higher than this year’s rate of $49,160.

Need-based financial aid is expected to increase to match the hike, but merit scholarship won’t keep pace.

Students, parents and alumni took to social media to express their opinions on the topic.

Read more at https://www.tcu360.com/2019/11/tuition-to-exceed-50000-moving-forward/

dawg

And is $51k just tuition, not counting the full cost of attendance (books, fees, room and board, etc)? I keep waiting for the tuition bubble to burst and it obviously hasn't. My only hope is it does in the next 12 years before my daughter graduates HS. To think (back in 1996) I was able to work weekends and pay around half of my tuition.

If the amount students/families could in borrow in student loans was capped at $40k over five years, what would that do to tuition hikes? I'm betting undergrad degrees would magically migrate back down around $40-60k.

Last edited:

UltimateFrog

I’m confident that Congress is not introspective enough to recognize it is their guaranteed student loan program that is the leading cause of this problem.

Give any industry/person/group/program unlimited funding without any standards or underwriting and this is what will happen. The person/company/organization ultimately on the receiving end of the funding will continue to increase costs (ie more revenue)

SnoSki

Yikes. It’s barely worth half of that for an undergrad degree. The very best job you could land with a bachelors degree alone would pay what.. around $100k for some engineering or corporate job perhaps (not counting sweetheart deals into a relative’s business).

MCFROG III

My tuition & fees back in '72 were @$1,800. In today's money, that's @$11,000, which was a chunk of change for the 3rd of 4 minister's kids who went to TCU. No way that would happen today!