• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson hears complaints about co-OC Sonny Cumbie, but won’t make ‘rash’ decision

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s Patterson hears complaints about co-OC Sonny Cumbie, but won’t make ‘rash’ decision

By Drew Davison

TCU coach Gary Patterson didn’t extend a vote of confidence in co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie during his Tuesday media luncheon. He also didn’t declare a looming change is coming this off-season.

Instead, Patterson played it down the middle when it came to Cumbie, who has been subject to outside criticism much of the season. It’s become more heated following TCU’s 29-23 triple-overtime loss to Baylor in which TCU scored a season-low nine points in regulation.

But Patterson didn’t sound like someone in a hurry to make a decision, dismissing any notion that he could make an in-season change with three games left. TCU (4-5, 2-4 Big 12) travels to Texas Tech on Saturday.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article237260369.html#storylink=cpy

Limp Lizard

GP is just being consistent. He has spoken out before whenever a coaching change is made mid-season, especially the firing of an assistant (usually a coordinator). He is on record many times against the firing of coaches during the season, so this is no surprise. Earlier in the year when it was obvious that the offense was going to be the same old thing, I knew it was going to be a long season, because GP does not fire coached during the season (outside of something like criminal charges, etc.).

texas_sicilian

I respect that CGP is principled here. He says what he does and does what he says.

Cumbie does add value to the program (recruiting, QB coaching, etc.), and it would be ideal if he stays in some capacity, but the current arrangement ain’t working, and no one can dispute that.

I hope Cumbie is humble enough to admit that his offense is not performing up to expectations, and would accept a lifeline if Gary were to offer it in the off-season.

Tough situation all around.

Bruce Berry

GP is in charge, its clearly his call-and I do trust his judgement.

That said- this may be a different animal -but not sure it would make sense for a company to delay making personnel changes until the end of the fiscal year if a key player wasn't performing.

I see being disruptive as the goal and 4-5 is certainly a distraction.

Mean Purple

I respect that CGP is principled here. He says what he does and does what he says.

Cumbie does add value to the program (recruiting, QB coaching, etc.), and it would be ideal if he stays in some capacity, but the current arrangement ain’t working, and no one can dispute that.

I hope Cumbie is humble enough to admit that his offense is not performing up to expectations, and would accept a lifeline if Gary were to offer it in the off-season.

Maybe Cumbie has been able to keep Max in the game, from GPs point of view. Sure, a few turnovers, but the kid is a true freshman behind a line that has not blocked well in many games and with rcvrs who seem to coat their hads with axle grease.

Hate that it is going this way for Cumbie, what we have seen on the fied goes beyond just players and excution. Would be great if he would stay co-OC and bring in a another good co-OC. But that seems like a big leap.

Wexahu

Maybe Cumbie has been able to keep Max in the game, from GPs point of view. Sure, a few turnovers, but the kid is a true freshman behind a line that has not blocked well in many games and with rcvrs who seem to coat their hads with axle grease.

Hate that it is going this way for Cumbie, what we have seen on the fied goes beyond just players and excution. Would be great if he would stay co-OC and bring in a another good co-OC. But that seems like a big leap.

I wouldn't doubt if he's just tired of getting yelling at.

Mean Purple

Three very good points.

"You take a cog out of the middle of everything that goes on. ... And that’s not saying that I’m doing anything.
“I’m just saying to you, it’s not fair to anybody because right now you’re trying to win ballgames and that’s just a distraction.

Wexahu

Then he'll want to get out of coaching all together. Because that is just the environment in programs trying to win.

Yes, to a degree. But I don't often see other head coaches just openly chew a coordinator's ass out on the sideline after he makes a play call that didn't work. Only time I really see it if it's something like having too many guys on the field or some pre-snap deal when it was clear the unit wasn't prepared.

If you trust your guy to make the right play calls, trust him and don't question it. If you don't trust him, either do it yourself or find someone else you trust. Riding a guy's ass after the fact during the game is kind of bush league IMO.

Mean Purple

Yes, to a degree. But I don't often see other head coaches just openly chew a coordinator's ass out on the sideline after he makes a play call that didn't work. Only time I really see it if it's something like having too many guys on the field or some pre-snap deal when it was clear the unit wasn't prepared.

If you trust your guy to make the right play calls, trust him and don't question it. If you don't trust him, either do it yourself or find someone else you trust. Riding a guy's ass after the fact during the game is kind of bush league IMO.
I don't recall him doing it that much with previous coaches.
Which means GP is as frustrated with SC's calls as the rest of us. I'm betting Saturday was the last straw.

Mean Purple

Writing is on the wall. Either demoted or fired for Cumbie.
IF SC is the great QB coach, as many folks in the know way he is, wonder if there is a chance he stays, but another OC calls the offense. In reality, I think he is gone. Would seem hard for a person take that kick in the gut and stick around. However, IF that were the case and he stuck around and continued to grow, the experience under/with a new OC could be just what he needs to take it to a big level.

HFrog12

Great take here.