• The KillerFrogs

Does GP ever watch any other games?

PO Frog

I’m guessing not because if he did, he would see that none of the other teams are trying to return kickoffs. They have employed people that can do math and have determined that it is better to start, risk-free, at the 25, than starting at the 5 and bringing in the risk of turnover. ”What about the corresponding benefit of taking one to the house?”, you might ask. However, we put two running backs deep, neither of which will ever house a kickoff. Also, they are our starters, so we have injury risk too. I honestly cannot understand it.

Big Frog II

It's the definition of insanity. We keep expecting different results. This again shows why a Special Teams Coach is a MUST. We cannot continue to give lip service to this very important part of the game.

asleep003

No he doesn't ... not sitting around all day on the couch drinking Long Nicks I suppose. One shouldn't have to watch other games to determine the benefits on taking it at the 25. There are 'rare' times/examples where it may be beneficial to return, but didn't see any of those reasons today.

Wexahu

I’m guessing not because if he did, he would see that none of the other teams are trying to return kickoffs. They have employed people that can do math and have determined that it is better to start, risk-free, at the 25, than starting at the 5 and bringing in the risk of turnover. ”What about the corresponding benefit of taking one to the house?”, you might ask. However, we put two running backs deep, neither of which will ever house a kickoff. Also, they are our starters, so we have injury risk too. I honestly cannot understand it.

I’m coming around on this line of thinking. I guess I had seen Turpin almost take so many to the house over his career here. The guys we put back there aren’t remotely as good at kick returning as he was.

Also, he’d figure out when you have the ball 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line on first and second down you snap it under center and either QB sneak it or power run straight ahead. You do not risk a 3-4 yard loss. The lack of any kind of short yardage power running scheme is coaching malfeasance. We jack around with the wildcat but can’t spend time practicing a normal power running set with the QB actually taking a snap under center?

UltimateFrog

We are horribly coached on offense and special teams, nothing new. And it’s clear the staff doesn’t employ anybody with a math, stats, accounting, finance background to help with this kind of stuff

PO Frog

It would halfway make sense if we put a burner back there, but we put two lumbering RBs back there that could not take one to the house if their lives depended on it.