• The KillerFrogs

FWST: If Baylor loses to TCU this time, the Bears are frauds

flyfishingfrog

My bet is that the Star-Telegram is about to go under. Yesterday I received an email from the FWST saying my monthly rate was changing from $40.73/month to $93.60 plus tax/month. To me, that is a desperate act that very few subscribers will accept. The good news is that when it happens, Mac loses his job. Good riddance. He has never been a TCU fan.
you can buy toilet paper a lot cheaper than even $50/month

assuming that is what you are using the FWST for since reading it is a waste of brain cells.

Billy Clyde

$93.60 a month?!?!?! I wouldn’t pay that for a YEAR.

Reminds me of those lifetime hunting and fishing licenses that began to be offered by TP&W when I was at TCU. The number seemed huge at the time, but in hindsight was a great bargain for a young.

I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a lifetime S-T subscription. Ridiculously poor content and getting worse, and "lifetime" also implies the lifetime of the paper, which doesn't seem a good bet right now.

If there were a way to short this paper as an investment, it would be pretty attractive.

Billy Clyde

People continually tell me writers don’t do their own headlines but there’s no way in hell Mac isn’t involved in his. I’m batting 1.000 in guessing ahead of time if he wrote an article.

Yeah, that has to be old news. I know that copy editors USED to write all the headlines, they had to in order to make the header fit the column space that was being used, but that seems like not such a factor any more.

Reminds me of that Nicholson line from, "As Good as it Gets."

(by copy editor) Q: "Mac, how would you like your headline to read?"

(Muck) A: "Think of a Doosh. Then take away all reason and accountability that would act as a restraint on a normal Doosh."

4 Oaks Frog

My bet is that the Star-Telegram is about to go under. Yesterday I received an email from the FWST saying my monthly rate was changing from $40.73/month to $93.60 plus tax/month. To me, that is a desperate act that very few subscribers will accept. The good news is that when it happens, Mac loses his job. Good riddance. He has never been a TCU fan.
That is a small price to pay for such a Cracker Jack newspaper like the ST. Such hard hitting journalism and Pulitzer Prize winning writers. It is worth much more than the price you are bing asked to pay. I mean where else can you read the Sports, check out the Classifieds and laugh at the Comics without having to turn the page....
GO FROGS!
BEAT baylor!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe] & muck!!

YA

I subscribe the Star-Telegram--it is not $90/month--it is $100.99 every 26 weeks for home and digital or $201.98 for the year

FrogCop19

How is that headline or article bad?

If Baylor loses they aren't really the number 11 team in the country.

Some of y'all are just looking for a reason to be offended.

And I think Mac sucks, but it's been awhile since he's done an actual article that really offends.

At the risk of pissing people off by pasting his crap writing on here, I present to you an excerpt from an article from the hometown newspaper. I'll stress that again: An article FROM THE FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM. Written by a writer that at some point in time has been an adjunct professor at TCU. About a rival that the mere name inspires gag reflex actions of fans in the city where he is employed:

*ahem*

"The Bears are 2.5-point favorites, and they should win their first game in this series since 2014.

They should have hammered TCU last season in Waco. Instead, Rhule left with his worst loss as Baylor’s head coach.

The Bears were playing for a bowl bid and hosting their senior day against their despised rival. TCU was beset with injuries and starting a third-string quarterback, Grayson Muehlstein. The Horned Frogs also had one healthy scholarship running back.

This should not have been close.

Baylor was simply out-coached, and TCU receiver Jalen Reagor scored two touchdowns on plays that make him an NFL prospect in a 16-9 victory.

Baylor can’t let this happen again."

Read that last sentence again. It's not an article saying how well the Frogs played. It's not an article about how the hometown team needs to step up to beat an undefeated rival. It's not even a fair and balanced piece of journalism, where he offers positive spin on both teams. This article could have been taken directly out of the baylor lariat or whatever their crap-stained student-run version of the Skiff is called, written by a freshman journalism major with an axe to grind because his girlfriend broke up with him and went to TCU.

Wes, I know he's a friend of yours, and I understand that you know him on a personal level, and that's cool. But this article, as most of them are, is nothing more than a sensationalist attempt to get readers to flock to him like flies on [ Finebaum ]. And yes, I know that means I fell for it which makes me a dumbass, but I wanted to try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, I was wrong to give him that chance.

He's a piece of [ Finebaum ].

Last edited:

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Maybe they're trying to get people to just do the digital version. I don't subscribe to any news paper, but if I did, I'd probably just do the $100/year digital version and read it on my iPad/computer.

^^^^

This.

Warren Buffett's BH Media Group is using this same tactic over the past year to drive subscribers away from paper to digital.

BH started hiking the price of home delivery by 20-40% every quarter--after the second hike, I switched to a digital-only subscription for my local paper for a whopping $50 bucks a year. I can read the digital edition on my 23-inch computer monitor, and see everything (including ads)--and don't have to go fetch the paper off my lawn (esp. nice on cold and wet days).

MadFrog

Thank you for subscribing to Fort Worth Star-Telegram. We hope you are taking advantage of everything that is included in your subscription. Your subscription includes unlimited digital access to http://www.star-telegram.com/ , the eEdition (digital replica of the daily newspaper), and our iPad, tablet, smartphone apps. You can read the news anytime, anywhere, in any format you choose.

We appreciate your participation in our convenient EZ Pay program. This notification is to inform you that your new monthly rate will be $93.60 (plus tax- if applicable). This rate change will be effective beginning with your next subscription payment.

Our content is delivered to you by various methods and formats. We reserve the right to substitute the delivery and format of your print subscription with only an eEdition (digital replica of a print edition) at any time. Notice of delivery and format changes, except those caused by inclement weather, will be given at least 30 days in advance.

If you have any questions about your print or digital subscription, please contact us at 800-776-7827 or email us at
customerservice@star-telegram.com and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for being a loyal subscriber to Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

YA

Thank you for subscribing to Fort Worth Star-Telegram. We hope you are taking advantage of everything that is included in your subscription. Your subscription includes unlimited digital access to http://www.star-telegram.com/ , the eEdition (digital replica of the daily newspaper), and our iPad, tablet, smartphone apps. You can read the news anytime, anywhere, in any format you choose.

We appreciate your participation in our convenient EZ Pay program. This notification is to inform you that your new monthly rate will be $93.60 (plus tax- if applicable). This rate change will be effective beginning with your next subscription payment.

Our content is delivered to you by various methods and formats. We reserve the right to substitute the delivery and format of your print subscription with only an eEdition (digital replica of a print edition) at any time. Notice of delivery and format changes, except those caused by inclement weather, will be given at least 30 days in advance.

If you have any questions about your print or digital subscription, please contact us at 800-776-7827 or email us at
customerservice@star-telegram.com and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for being a loyal subscriber to Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

I guess they don't like you because my renewal rate is what I posted above. I have also been a subscriber since 1992

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This article could have been taken directly out of the baylor lariat or whatever their crap-stained student-run version of the Skiff is called, written by a freshman journalism major with an axe to grind because his girlfriend broke up with him and went to TCU.
I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe their Student Newspaper is called "The Daily Rapist."

He's a piece of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ].
Accurate.

Casey T

At the risk of pissing people off by pasting his crap writing on here, I present to you an excerpt from an article from the hometown newspaper. I'll stress that again: An article FROM THE FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM. Written by a writer that at some point in time has been an adjunct professor at TCU. About a rival that the mere name inspires gag reflex actions of fans in the city where he is employed:

*ahem*

"The Bears are 2.5-point favorites, and they should win their first game in this series since 2014.

They should have hammered TCU last season in Waco. Instead, Rhule left with his worst loss as Baylor’s head coach.

The Bears were playing for a bowl bid and hosting their senior day against their despised rival. TCU was beset with injuries and starting a third-string quarterback, Grayson Muehlstein. The Horned Frogs also had one healthy scholarship running back.

This should not have been close.

Baylor was simply out-coached, and TCU receiver Jalen Reagor scored two touchdowns on plays that make him an NFL prospect in a 16-9 victory.

Baylor can’t let this happen again."

Read that last sentence again. It's not an article saying how well the Frogs played. It's not an article about how the hometown team needs to step up to beat an undefeated rival. It's not even a fair and balanced piece of journalism, where he offers positive spin on both teams. This article could have been taken directly out of the baylor lariat or whatever their crap-stained student-run version of the Skiff is called, written by a freshman journalism major with an axe to grind because his girlfriend broke up with him and went to TCU.

Wes, I know he's a friend of yours, and I understand that you know him on a personal level, and that's cool. But this article, as most of them are, is nothing more than a sensationalist attempt to get readers to flock to him like flies on [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]. And yes, I know that means I fell for it which makes me a dumbass, but I wanted to try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, I was wrong to give him that chance.

He's a piece of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ].

Spot on

BABYFACE

Dang. How much did a subscription to the paper cost back before internet and every house in my neighborhood got it?
$8-10 a month, because everyone got it.

When newspapers started putting the majority of their content online for free, I said on this forum about 15 years ago it would be the death of newspapers. I said you have to charge for online content as they do for the hard copy, if not, then you create a generation that expects there print news for free. Also, they would start to lose current subscriptions once people figured they could get their newspaper for free online and then why pay for a hardcopy. The newspaper men on this board disagreed with me then.

Billy Clyde

$8-10 a month, because everyone got it.

When newspapers started putting the majority of their content online for free, I said on this forum about 15 years ago it would be the death of newspapers. I said you have to charge for online content as they do for the hard copy, if not, then you create a generation that expects there print news for free. Also, they would start to lose current subscriptions once people figured they could get their newspaper for free online and then why pay for a hardcopy. The newspaper men on this board disagreed with me then.

20 or so years ago I was seated at a TCU dinner with among others Doug Newsome, and the then-editor in chief of the Startle. It was around the beginning of the digital media age, and I was curious about the editor's take on how it would all play out. He revealed a dilemma (and what I took to be fear) around how to monetize their e-content. He's long since gone from the paper, but it would appear that nobody really ever got a handle on that.

It looks to me now like the only e-content providers who will thrive in this new age are the local, small-town, "county crier" papers because they are literally the only game in town for getting your local news, and behemoth operations like WSJ, WaPo, NYT, and even Dallas News, because Belo. Not much room in between for a mid-size, mediocre outfit like the S-T is now.

Limp Lizard

Mack is just acting like we did when we lost to Kansas. He thinks TCU is dogmeat. And, unfortunately he could be right this year. But he thought we were awful when we were good, too.

Mack is the poor man's Skip Bayless, who also, BTW, despised TCU.

Having lived in the area for 60+ of my years. I don't want to see the Startlegram go under. However, it that is the only way we can get rid of Mack.....

BABYFACE

20 or so years ago I was seated at a TCU dinner with among others Doug Newsome, and the then-editor in chief of the Startle. It was around the beginning of the digital media age, and I was curious about the editor's take on how it would all play out. He revealed a dilemma (and what I took to be fear) around how to monetize their e-content. He's long since gone from the paper, but it would appear that nobody really ever got a handle on that.

It looks to me now like the only e-content providers who will thrive in this new age are the local, small-town, "county crier" papers because they are literally the only game in town for getting your local news, and behemoth operations like WSJ, WaPo, NYT, and even Dallas News, because Belo. Not much room in between for a mid-size, mediocre outfit like the S-T is now.

I agree with about small community papers

Last edited:

Latest posts