• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football on pace for fewest sacks since joining Big 12

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU football on pace for fewest sacks since joining Big 12

By Drew Davison

A successful pass rush is something TCU has consistently had under Gary Patterson. No matter who leaves, someone fills the void.

From James McFarland to Josh Carraway to Mat Boesen to Ben Banogu to L.J. Collier, and a number of others before that, the Frogs have always had a pass rusher (or two) become a regular in opponent’s backfields.

But that hasn’t happened yet in 2019. TCU continues to struggle filling the void left by Banogu and Collier, a pair of Top 50 NFL Draft picks last spring.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article235930732.html#storylink=cpy

4th. down

GP will come up with something, he always does and it needs to happen before Texas.

Just throwing this out there - stay in the 4-2-5 alignment and move Blacklock to DE, he's quick enough, and replace with Cooper or Ellis with Workman the other DE but play Workman to the weak side against the offensive line. We need to change something or Texas and OU will kill us with the QB runs. I think Blacklock would be very hard to handle bringing pressure from DE and Workman is the quickest so far of the existing DEs.

Wexahu

I'd move Collins out wide if possible. I'd say run a 3-3-5, but it's not like we are loaded at LB.

No matter what they do, a player or two who was in there against ISU needs to be told they are never going to see the field again unless they learn to compete. Can't imagine putting that effort on film and then watching it in front of the team and your position group.

jake102

No matter what they do, a player or two who was in there against ISU needs to be told they are never going to see the field again unless they learn to compete. Can't imagine putting that effort on film and then watching it in front of the team and your position group.

Yehhh...... there's also a certain safety who has decided to free roam

Limp Lizard

GP will come up with something, he always does and it needs to happen before Texas.
History is on our side. Some shaky starts, but the defense is usually humming the last few games. Only horrible year we have had was 2004.
We haven't stopped OU but NOBODY has. You beat them by scoring a lot of points, at least in the past. Guess we will see how much their defense has improved this weekend.
And based on history, our offense will not improve. My hope is the defense will realize it is up to them to win games, and not to expect a lot of help from the offense. Man up and play defense. A better offense is just icing on the cake. But don't depend on it.

Limp Lizard

Same old crud we hear year after year. The 4-2-5 has seen it's day. Why don't we run the 1-1-9 like XYZ? Or the 2-0-9 like ABC? Then GP gets it fixed. Meanwhile the others end up looking not that great, unless they Bama-like talent, then any decently coach defense will look great. Maybe this is the year when he doesn't. But since he has fixed the defense for 17 our of 18 years, I will go with the odds.

Geeze.

jake102

We don’t have the personnel to run a 3-4. We barely have two linebackers (more like one true linebacker), so essentially it would be like a 3-1-7.

We are currently running a 2.5 - 1 - 5. and occasionally a 2.5 - 1 - 4

There are times where our two DEs are literally blocked out of the picture and one LB is on the wrong part of the field along with a safety covering air

Casey T

Things needed for D to improve:

1) Bench DEs who don't try and find some who do. Aka, give the younger guys a chance in a game
2) Ben Wilson returns from injury and plays LB capably. Winters improves over time
3) Secondary, namely safeties, improve to the level we know they can play at

researchfrog

He should switch to the 1-2-3-5 defense. One lineman with two supporting defenders, three roving backers, and five DBs. Basically a little triangle that can attack the OL in different directions. I mean, if we’re talking about things that won’t happen, why not get nuts?

jake102

He should switch to the 1-2-3-5 defense. One lineman with two supporting defenders, three roving backers, and five DBs. Basically a little triangle that can attack the OL in different directions. I mean, if we’re talking about things that won’t happen, why not get nuts?

Actually sounds good. Those two supporting defenders can spy the QB run and the three LBs can surely handle the RB wheel route. Yeh the back 5 will have to cover for 7-8 seconds every play, but whatever

Limp Lizard

You guys need to tell GP, because I am sure he doesn't have a clue!
TautCoolDuckbillplatypus-size_restricted.gif

Planks

Yeah a 4 linebacker formation definitely wouldn’t work for us, but I do think we’re to the point where we need to re-evaluate everything and find a way to get our best players on the field regardless of position. If that means playing backup DTs like Terrell Cooper at DE, so be it.