• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Gary Patterson makes it clear: TCU's secondary was 'bad' against Iowa State

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Gary Patterson makes it clear: TCU's secondary was 'bad' against Iowa State

By Grant McGalliard

TCU head coach Gary Patterson took part in the weekly Big 12 media teleconference Monday, and the big takeaway is that he's not happy with how his secondary has performed.

The Horned Frogs gave up 436 yards of offense against Iowa State in a 49-24 loss Saturday. Brock Purdy, the Cyclones' sophomore quarterback, accounted for 349 of those, passing for 247 and running for 102 more. He also had four total touchdowns.

Despite the return of cornerback Julius Lewis to the secondary, TCU often looked lost in coverage against Iowa State. Patterson specifically called out his safeties in the teleconference, especially senior Vernon Scott.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...patterson-makes-clear-tcus-secondary-bad-isu/

Moose Stuff

Safeties are all big 12 compared to both DE

It’s articles like this that make me trend toward not listening to one thing he says. How do you write an article full of quotes from the head coach about how bad the defense was and there isn’t one comment about a guy who looked like he was doing the exact opposite of what a DE is supposed to be doing? Jesus Gary, our cat watched most of the second half with me and even she saw it.

Last edited:

GenXFrog

To be fair, GP not commenting on the DL was probably because Jeremy's question was: 'talked about the defensive line a few weeks ago, so I want to ask about the safeties...' and GP is, well, GP.

4th. down

It’s articles like this that make me trend toward not listening to one thing he says. How do you write an article full of quotes from the head coach about how bad the defense was and there isn’t one comment about a guy who looked like he was doing the exact opposite of what a DE is supposed to be doing. Jesus Gary, our cat watched most of the second half with me and even she saw it.

Maybe the best yet. Kelsey likes dogs but maybe not your cat.

GP's fooled me 2 years in a row with his blah, blah, blah. so I qualify for being a fool but at least going forward, no more listening or reading about GP, it's all diversion and sleight of hand. It's everyone's fault, including the fans, but for sure not him, or he would fix it.

Wexahu

I'd recommend to everyone that they go spend 10-15 minutes watching some of the replay and just focus on the DE play. You will be absolutely shocked... like a HS kid lining up taking snaps

Ouch. Count me as one who wasn't too worried about it going into the season given GP's track record at that position. Oops.

Mean Purple

A. He also gave Vernon credit for lining up well. Said he'll get better as it goes on. (So stop taking stuff out of context, folks. Bad enough we only get to see a small part of post game press conferences, when so much more is said.)
B. If the seconday is no doing well, then it will affect the rest, very much. Just reality of the modern game. You can't have a guy sit rover and miss on the qb's eyes that much.

It is good to see GP say this stuff, because everyone sees there are some who have taken plays off. And he points out how things were not looking sharp on Thursday. Champ teams have to grow quick and you have to go hard all the time. It aint easy to do. But my guess is they will get it figured out.

Still possible for this team to win quite a few more games.

Diehard

I'd recommend to everyone that they go spend 10-15 minutes watching some of the replay and just focus on the DE play. You will be absolutely shocked... like a HS kid lining up taking snaps

And guess who is coaching the DE's? Hate to be this way, but when he was coaching NFL talent it was easy. Now coaching is almost everything.