• The KillerFrogs

#BAYLORTEARS

Ron Swanson

I wouldn’t underestimate Chip and Joanna’s popularity. People travel from around the country to Austin and other cities and make the drive to Waco to stand in line for their restaurant and store. It is mind boggling because it is just a tourist trap. Yet they still show up. We’ll see how long it lasts.
I was about to say the same thing. I learned of this phenomenon recently and couldn’t believe it. Apparently there’s a ton of really bored women in this country who obsess over that show and somehow get convinced to travel to Waco to go to their store. Waco has legitimately become a niche tourist destination city because of this ridiculousness.

And of course the city is going to embrace it and try to exploit it. It’s about all they have so they may as well jump all over it.

MTfrog5

I was about to say the same thing. I learned of this phenomenon recently and couldn’t believe it. Apparently there’s a ton of really bored women in this country who obsess over that show and somehow get convinced to travel to Waco to go to their store. Waco has legitimately become a niche tourist destination city because of this ridiculousness.

And of course the city is going to embrace it and try to exploit it. It’s about all they have so they may as well jump all over it.
I know more than a couple that were obsessed with going down there (wife included) until they went and saw how expensive everything was. To be honest I’d probably like them more if they weren’t hard core Baylor supporters. Seem like good people and he grew up in Grapevine/Colleyville

netty2424

I know more than a couple that were obsessed with going down there (wife included) until they went and saw how expensive everything was. To be honest I’d probably like them more if they weren’t hard core Baylor supporters. Seem like good people and he grew up in Grapevine/Colleyville
My wife went down as well and said the same thing regarding high costs. And the reality is, there are only so many farmhouse antique knick knacks one couple can find and sell in their store. She said it was mainly Chinese reproductions of things Joanna liked/used as decorations. And said it was so crowded you could barely move inside the store.

Wasn’t what she hoped it would be. But nothing in Waco ever is.

tcudoc

They also have a realty business that has expanded out to other cities in the 50 mile radius. It has really become a diversified empire. I suspect they will continue to do well. If the network takes off, they could become Oprah rich.
They seem like generally likable people.

Froginbedford

Well, there is the old suspension bridge (which was still being used by cars in the early 1950s as part of US Hwy. 81)....

sicem

I love how not a single baylor poster comes on here for three, maybe four years, but as soon as they actually have a winning record, they are starting to test the waters.
giphy.gif

MTfrog5

Wow, nearly fell to page 3.

Yes, I am aware of the irony of posting something making fun of them not being willing to let something go on a thread that has gone on for half a decade and has hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of views, but...

Damn, they just can't let this go. HAHAHAHAHAHA

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/53435
Wonder if they will talk about the 5 year anniversary of them blowing a 20 point 4th quarter lead in the cotton bowl the day after we beat Ole Miss 42-3?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Big Spring is so brutal. If you ever drive that stretch from Big Spring to Lubbock you can feel your soul wanting to leave your body.
Didn’t Big Spring bring back some ghostly old hotel? Did that work out? Also remember Mineral Wells about to renovate some monolith place too, still going?

Chongo94

Didn’t Big Spring bring back some ghostly old hotel? Did that work out? Also remember Mineral Wells about to renovate some monolith place too, still going?

They did, Hotel Settles. Not sure how it’s working out...I guess ok since I believe it’s still open...definitely thought that was a weird business idea but whatever. I think the Mineral Wells one would be cool to see in its glory.

Up With the Old Hotel
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/up-with-the-old-hotel/amp/