• The KillerFrogs

ISU at a glance

Froggish

ISU at a Glance according to their fans

1. Looks ISU career sack leader and pre-season All Big12 DE JaQuan Bailey sustained a lower-leg injury against Baylor and might miss this weeks game. Could be a big loss for them.

2. Offensive Line appears to be a concern especially at OT...Straight ahead run blocking has been good but pass protect and lateral movement is below average. RT has had a rough go of it. If we can keep them from going downhill at us we should be in good shape. Big Ross, Bethley, and Wallow need to be aggressive at the LOS.

3. Overall team speed isn't great and they haven't established a real homerun hitter as of yet.

4. Strength of offense so far has been connection between QB Purdy and TE Kolar. They are high on their Freshman RB Brock but haven't gotten him loose yet. Upperclassman still commanding most the reps

5. Their defensive strength is still the front with NG Lima real tough against the run....Weakness is pretty clearly at the corners.

6. That defense is 125th in the country on 3rd down. They are extremely tough on 1st & 2nd but let a lot of teams off the hook on 3rd...Sounds like us last year.

7. They are running a lot more RPO this year with Purdy and he is mostly keeping it....Leading the team in carries. Which is odd for a team like ISU who culturally loves to hand it off..

On paper it should be a classic defensive battle. Both teams will be challenged to stop each others run game and control the LOS. Playing at home and coming off of a loss they will be especially salty. More then any other conference team, ISU has the horses to challenge our run game and force us to beat them with the pass. I am expecting them to go 2 and even some 3 TE sets. Purdy running seems dangerous as we didn't handle that well with Buechele and SMU.

People are down on ISU as they were really hyped coming into the season but they are a FG and a muffed punt from being 4-0. I think Purdy will carve us up if we don't find a DE who can rush the passer.

Eight

ross had as disruptive a game as i can recall from a tcu defensive tackle in quite some time. he has gotten better and better each week.

i have already said i think the key for the tcu run game is the match up between lima and coy mcmillon

Wexahu

My biggest concern is that we're going to go in there with an extremely conservative don't-screw-it-up attitude on offense and we're just not going to be able to get anything going. They are going to be all over the run game and the short passing game, I just don't see us being able to put together long drives against that team with the dink and dunk, gotta take some shots and hope to hit a few.

Eight

My biggest concern is that we're going to go in there with an extremely conservative don't-screw-it-up attitude on offense and we're just not going to be able to get anything going. They are going to be all over the run game and the short passing game, I just don't see us being able to put together long drives against that team with the dink and dunk, gotta take some shots and hope to hit a few.

i agree, similar to 2017.

the opportunities will be there to attack down the field in the passing game and frogs need to be willing to take those chances in this game.

no problem starting the game trying to establish the run game first and foremost. the best things this team does right now is run #6 behind their offensive line.

make iowa state take that away and when they go heavy against the run attack DOWN the field in the passing game.

Limp Lizard

I sure hope they are not as good on third down defense as us last year. Finished #12 nationally.

Actually dink and dunk works best against the ISU defense of the last few years. But you still have to throw deep to keep their players back. Teams get themselves in trouble by trying to throw downfield too much. They certainly try to play bend don't break, although this year they are playing bend and break a lot. All we had to do in 2017 to win at Ames was to keep our hands on the ball.

Moose Stuff

1. Looks ISU career sack leader and pre-season All Big12 DE JaQuan Bailey sustained a lower-leg injury against Baylor and might miss this weeks game. Could be a big loss for them.

2. Offensive Line appears to be a concern especially at OT...Straight ahead run blocking has been good but pass protect and lateral movement is below average. RT has had a rough go of it. If we can keep them from going downhill at us we should be in good shape. Big Ross, Bethley, and Wallow need to be aggressive at the LOS.

3. Overall team speed isn't great and they haven't established a real homerun hitter as of yet.

4. Strength of offense so far has been connection between QB Purdy and TE Kolar. They are high on their Freshman RB Brock but haven't gotten him loose yet. Upperclassman still commanding most the reps

5. Their defensive strength is still the front with NG Lima real tough against the run....Weakness is pretty clearly at the corners.

6. That defense is 125th in the country on 3rd down. They are extremely tough on 1st & 2nd but let a lot of teams off the hook on 3rd...Sounds like us last year.

7. They are running a lot more RPO this year with Purdy and he is mostly keeping it....Leading the team in carries. Which is odd for a team like ISU who culturally loves to hand it off..

On paper it should be a classic defensive battle. Both teams will be challenged to stop each others run game and control the LOS. Playing at home and coming off of a loss they will be especially salty. More then any other conference team, ISU has the horses to challenge our run game and force us to beat them with the pass. I am expecting them to go 2 and even some 3 TE sets. Purdy running seems dangerous as we didn't handle that well with Buechele and SMU.

People are down on ISU as they were really hyped coming into the season but they are a FG and a muffed punt from being 4-0. I think Purdy will carve us up if we don't find a DE who can rush the passer.

Carve us up? We’re in deep trouble for the rest of the year if that offense carves us up.

Wexahu

I sure hope they are not as good on third down defense as us last year. Finished #12 nationally.

Actually dink and dunk works best against the ISU defense of the last few years. But you still have to throw deep to keep their players back. Teams get themselves in trouble by trying to throw downfield too much. They certainly try to play bend don't break, although this year they are playing bend and break a lot. All we had to do in 2017 to win at Ames was to keep our hands on the ball.

And not get called for holding seemingly every time we reeled off a good run. Man, that game was frustrating.

Moose Stuff

They’re gonna TRY to be all over the run and short passing game. Based on how we’ve run this year (and last year when healthy) I have some optimism that we’re good enough to just line up and be better than them.

LVH

I want us to establish the run early. What worries me is we will try to run the ball early, and it won't be that successful, and then we abandon it.

Also I don't think Iowa State has the playmakers to give our defense too much trouble. They don't have a Rondale Moore or James Proche or Reggie Roberson. I'd also say Shane Buechele is better than Brock Purdy.

TX_Krötenechse

I think I would disagree that the connection to Kolar is their biggest offensive strength - he’s second in receptions, third in yards, and only has one touchdown catch this season.

Looking at their stats they get a lot of different receivers involved - 5 receivers have caught 10 or more passes this season. They don’t have a superstar receiver but they can be dangerous from TE or any of the spots. The good news for us is that they’ve only thrown 14 passes to RBs, although I expect Campbell to dial up wheel routes at least once per possession ...

I am interested to see that this Iowa State team is much more of a passing team than running one in comparison to earlier years. Although their attempts are about even (151 passes versus 129 rushes), they’re a lot more successful at moving the ball through the air with more than twice as many passing as rushing yards.

SnoSki

ISU is also a failed fumble recovery away from being 1-3 with a loss to Northern Iowa.

I think they’re gonna be a strong test but we should win. While they do have a good QB in Purdy, they don’t have the home run hitters like Hakeem Butler and David Montgomery that have really challenged us in the past.

With their struggles against the pass and with getting off the field on third down I see the frogs rolling to a win of about 10-17. Give me:

TCU 34
ISU 20

4th. down

GP has already said we need to blitz. Didn't have to last year with Banogu and Collier but our present 4 man rush won't get it against the upper echelon of the Big 12. Give Purdy time and he can cut you up.

Froggish

GP has already said we need to blitz. Didn't have to last year with Banogu and Collier but our present 4 man rush won't get it against the upper echelon of the Big 12. Give Purdy time and he can cut you up.
This will be a big week for the LBs..Wallow, Winters and VZ are going to be tested over and over by the TEs and running game