• The KillerFrogs

I am confused about our use of Freshman TB's

Limp Lizard

GP gave me the impression that they would use just one Fr RB per game, giving 8 games to get them in and still keep their redshirts. So Foster was not a surprise, but Barlow was.

Good to see Foster breaking tackles like he did in his HS highlights. Of course that was against Kansas, but they seem better this year: Just ask Boston College.

Anyway, what do you think are the odds that one or both or their redshirts are burned this year? Only 5 appearances left between the two.

netty2424

Barring injury to multiples of Sewo, DA, or Demercado, I see zero reason to burn their red shirts.

EDIT
TCU Head Coach Gary Patterson
On using two running backs:
"We got to see what our two young running backs are capable of. We have to use them smartly because we have an opportunity to redshirt them. We have eight games left. After our next ball game, we can put it all on the line because we have an off week before we go play Kansas State. But we have to go and get ready to play game five."

robbroyy

I was confused also but that’s 2 for Barlow and 1 for Foster.

they have 8 games to use them plus bowl.

I think West Virginia is the only likely positive blowout game left.

GP probably went into season thinking SMU would be one to use them on so when that didn’t happen he put both in this week

4th. down

Barring injury to multiples of Sewo, DA, or Demercado, I see zero reason to burn their red shirts.

EDIT
TCU Head Coach Gary Patterson
On using two running backs:
"We got to see what our two young running backs are capable of. We have to use them smartly because we have an opportunity to redshirt them. We have eight games left. After our next ball game, we can put it all on the line because we have an off week before we go play Kansas State. But we have to go and get ready to play game five."

Yeah, seems like a lot of evaluating will go on with the off week after Iowa St. Need to move Reagor, he's a lightning bolt with the ball in his hands. 2 receptions vs SMU, a total of 11 in 4 games. He didn't come here for that.

Dogfrog

The RS strategy is mostly giving freshmen some experience while maintaining their redshirt, but also to take the opportunity to evaluate which is most ready should a starter go down this season. Seems reasonable what they are doing so far.

Billy Clyde

The RS strategy is mostly giving freshmen some experience while maintaining their redshirt, but also to take the opportunity to evaluate which is most ready should a starter go down this season. Seems reasonable what they are doing so far.

They both looked pretty darn ready to me, at least running the ball. Seems like I noticed that both were in there to protect on various passing plays... I didn't pay attention to how well they blocked, will look for that on the rewind.

Froggy Style

Agreed, if they wanted to get Foster Reps, they should have let him play and saved Barlow. If they burn one of their redshirts, it will be a mistake...but not a surprising one. Our ability to do math is bad (see timeouts, going for two, low percentage fade rountes on 3rd or 4th and 1).

Punter1

If I had a crystal ball I think it would say one of our top 3 RBs has to miss a game or 2 and Barlow gets elevated.

I really think the coaches probably figured having to use Barlow for more than 4 games this year...just my opinion...

I was highly encouraged in seeing them play. Barlow looked like Kyle Hicks and Foster looked like a mix between Sewo and Anderson.

It is a rich getting richer scenario. TCU if they can get the big offensive linemen TCU can be a successful power run team for a very long time. Controlling that clock.

westoverhillbilly

On a true "who's best" depth chart of our running backs, I would put both of these guys right behind Darrius Anderson and along with Sewo.. I really wouldn't have a problem pulling the redshirts on one of them.. If either or both are the studs it appears they'll turn out to be, one or both of them may leave for the draft early anyway..