• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson doubles down on crowd: It’s more than a social event

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s Patterson doubles down on crowd: It’s more than a social event

By Drew Davison

Gary Patterson isn’t apologizing for his criticism of TCU’s home crowd during the Frogs’ 41-38 loss to crosstown rival SMU last Saturday. Instead, he’s doubling down on it.

“It’s my job just to coach ballgames,” Patterson said during his radio show on 92.1 Hank FM on Thursday night. “But if TCU ever wants to get to the point where we want to win a national championship, we’re going to have to decide that we’re not going to let anybody else in.

“When we do that, then at that point in time we’ll get to that point. I’m not upset with anyone, but the bottom line to it is I want to have a home-field advantage. If we’re going to let as many people of the other color down close to the field as we did the other day, it’s going to be very hard [to have a home-field advantage].”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article235540602.html#storylink=cpy

Froglaw

Love CP, but he's wrong on this one.

Team played like [ Finebaum ], and people left at the half.

Too frigid hot.

I finally went to my seats when the shade reached them.

Winning cures all.

Bad calls ruins them.

He should have kicked the field goal instead of trying a trick play.

Game would have been tied.

Sorry pardner, only so much one fan can do. My non-TCU friends don't want to see bad football. I can get folks to come to the games and wear purple when we don't lose to smu.

Edit:

The crowd did not cause the smu loss, in fact they hung in there despite the bad calls, the heat, and obnoxious smu fans.

Limey Frog

Ask Colorado fans how it feels to have a large multitude of rival visitors on hand to see their team get embarrassed. It comes down to the same thing that is relevant in response to every comment GP has made all week: win the game and this other stuff goes away.

Stealing your signs? If the plays are good and they're executed well, it won't matter. Visiting fans in the stadium? Give them nothing to cheer about and the joke is on them. Visiting band engaging in a some basically harmless college rivalry shenanigans? Dominate on the field and they just look like an annoying little sibling trying too hard to get two minutes' attention from big brother. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Pharm Frog

The big problem is not opponent fans in the stands. It is having few fans after halftime. I can see older people having to leave for health reasons...but students?

We seemed to play better with fewer fans in the stands. 2H much better than the 1H last week. Need more people to leave at halftime and we'd win.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Oh, and those 10,000 people that got up and left? Mrs. Brewingfrog and myself were two of them.

If the Frogs couldn't seem to care about the game, why should I? It was clear that nobody on the Frog side had a clue, or really cared about what was going on. No preparation. No strategy. No discernable game plan. In short, they mailed it in and got their asses kicked. I don't have to stand (or sit) for that.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Gary is out of focus here. He needs to focus on what he can control, his coaches and team.

If he has better coaching and performance, fans will come and stay. People dont like paying to see subpar performance.

While I understand he want to have a home field advantage, it starts with mindset. His. The coaches. The players. Create winners. Not whiners.

Pharm Frog

"...if TCU ever wants to get to the point where we want to win a national championship, we’re going to have to decide that we’re not going to let anybody else in."

Where's the patented Gary use of the "I" and "my" pronouns? Now it's "TCU" and "we"? And what's with the "if"...isn't that the top of the pyramid?

Pharm Frog

I think a lot of TCU fans are the definition of fair weather fans. TCU doesn’t look good? Ok I’ll just leave. TCU looks great? I’ll be there for sure. If TCU wants to win at a high level they have to recruit. To recruit, the socialites that make up the majority of TCU fan base have to stay for games.

I think that a lot of "TCU fans" aren't really "fans" at all. They are supporters. And I see no reason to think that's going to change and see even less evidence that anything will be done in an attempt to change that.

MTfrog5

I think that a lot of "TCU fans" aren't really "fans" at all. They are supporters. And I see no reason to think that's going to change and see even less evidence that anything will be done in an attempt to change that.
Can you call somebody a supporter when they don’t support in the bad but only the good?

4 Oaks Frog

The big problem is not opponent fans in the stands. It is having few fans after halftime. I can see older people having to leave for health reasons...but students?
I’m old, and I didn’t leave! And, I won’t leave today either. When fans make the game their priority, then the crowd will make a difference. We [ hundin] about no beer, stupid music, the Go Frogs cheer, and every other “game day experience”. If you want a carnival, go to a scheissing carnival. What are you going to [ hundin] about when we kick the dog [ Finebaum ] out of KU today? I understand exactly Gary’s frustration. Behind his home side bench are a ton of the opposing teams colors. How in the hell do we as fans let that happen?!? Sure he has to put a championship caliber team on the field to win a championship. We can help by putting some championship caliber fans wearing our colors in the stands behind his bench, and in the student section.
GO FROGS!
BEAT BASKETBALL CHEATERS!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!