• The KillerFrogs

PressBox DFW: About this Patterson-Cumbie kerfuffle . . .

Pharm Frog

So much truth in this observation by Gil

“In Duggan’s defense, he didn’t seem to get a whole lot of help. His pass receivers were getting little or no separation from defenders. Routes were lazy. When Duggan had to leave the pocket, some receivers just stood and watched.”

CountryFrog

So much truth in this observation by Gil

“In Duggan’s defense, he didn’t seem to get a whole lot of help. His pass receivers were getting little or no separation from defenders. Routes were lazy. When Duggan had to leave the pocket, some receivers just stood and watched.”
Some of this is true, but Max has also missed 5 or 6 TD's the last couple weeks with throws that weren't even closewhen receivers were behind everyone.

No doubt there are things receivers can do better too though.

Pharm Frog

I didn't think drops were an issue at all in this game. You could say that there were some plays that receivers could've made and didn't but I don't remember seeing a single flat out dropped pass.

I think the free play bomb in the first series was about as clear a drop as they come. Good adjustment by receiver followed by right through the hands to the turf.

CountryFrog

I think the free play bomb in the first series was about as clear a drop as they come. Good adjustment by receiver followed by right through the hands to the turf.
I didn't see the replay on that one. From my seat on the other side of the field, it looked like it would've been an incredibly difficult catch. That's one of the plays I was thinking of that could've been made but wasn't a flat out drop.

I could be wrong, though. Maybe my angle just made it appear more difficult than it was.

Tumbleweed

Like I said yesterday...sad very sad...
Why is Cumbie the offensive coordinator in the first place? That was the laziest offensive scheming I've seen in many years! The offensive staff did not help Duggan in this game. No creative playing calling except in the last half and if you think Sewo throwing a pass is needed, I have a palm tree farm in Alaska to sell you! Okay how much of this lazy play calling is the result of orders. ie: don't show anything until we get to OU or UT.
Duggan has the tools but I wonder how much help he'll get and with the proper "education"? Just look back a few years for that question to be answered. Sonny Cumbie is a fine man and it disturbed me to witness the unfolding of this tickliest scenario.
Just once I'd like to see GP hunt, hire a good OC to go with this defense. No egos involved just go out and hire the best.

Pharm Frog

Like I said yesterday...sad very sad...
Why is Cumbie the offensive coordinator in the first place? That was the laziest offensive scheming I've seen in many years! The offensive staff did not help Duggan in this game. No creative playing calling except in the last half and if you think Sewo throwing a pass is needed, I have a palm tree farm in Alaska to sell you! Okay how much of this lazy play calling is the result of orders. ie: don't show anything until we get to OU or UT.
Duggan has the tools but I wonder how much help he'll get and with the proper "education"? Just look back a few years for that question to be answered. Sonny Cumbie is a fine man and it disturbed me to witness the unfolding of this tickliest scenario.
Just once I'd like to see GP hunt, hire a good OC to go with this defense. No egos involved just go out and hire the best.

Catch 22: can’t take ego’s out of the equation

jake102

I didn't see the replay on that one. From my seat on the other side of the field, it looked like it would've been an incredibly difficult catch. That's one of the plays I was thinking of that could've been made but wasn't a flat out drop.

I could be wrong, though. Maybe my angle just made it appear more difficult than it was.

It was a pretty routine catch. He did the hard part of correctly tracking the ball and cutting in front of the defender. Then he totally botched an uncontested catch

JugbandFrog

Only way it's acceptable is if they came to some kind of agreement during the week that GP would let Cumbie have his way with the offense but he'll have to talk to the media after the game about it.

That still wouldn't excuse some of the things Gary said, but we all know post game GP is not the best GP.

unless it’s happy “Speed baby!” LHCGP

CountryFrog

It was a pretty routine catch. He did the hard part of correctly tracking the ball and cutting in front of the defender. Then he totally botched an uncontested catch
I'll take your word for it. Tough to see some of those things live depending on where you're sitting.

Pharm Frog

Simply put...I might still subscribe to a newspaper if I could experience this quality of writing consistently. Even if I disagreed with the analysis (which in this case I emphatically do not)

Frostie

Wow, this is all so deja vu, remember 2005 when we waltzed into Norman and shut down OU, Stoops stated it was almost like Patterson had OU's playbook. Fast Forward to 2019 and Patterson's defense did the same thing to Purdue.

In both games, Patterson dissected their offenses for months, he then did what he does best and IMHO better than any other Coach, he orchestrated a counterpunch to every punch. Both games were defensive masterpieces.

We lost to SMU the following week in both cases, back in 2005 he blamed the team for buying into their greatness, and this time(2019) he blamed without blaming Cumbie for the loss.

Coach P is an emotional coach, he could be up a 100 on a Div 2 team and still be screaming at the team for small mistakes, this is what the great ones do. Watch Belichick, he does the same thing, he also over the years hasn't hesitated to roll the bus over his coaches or players(this includes Brady, where he told the press to talk to Brady about the deflated balls). Not sure I agree with it, but it is what it is

Lets hope what happened in 2005 after the loss to SMU happens in 2019!

Last edited:

Volare

I have a HUGE problem with him basically blaming the offense for the loss when his defense was terrible for much of the game. If you want to be a defense only HC then you gotta fall on the sword when you allow 41 points at home. Can't blame the offense for all 41 of those.

Ok, so the Offense Fumbles on the TCU 4 yard line. Leads to a SMU TD
Then the offense Fumbles on the TCU 23 yard line, D holds them to a FG.
Then the offense Fumbles on the TCU 24 yard line, but the D gets an INT so no points for SMU.

So 3 Red zone turnovers and the D lets them get 10 points ( many times within minutes of getting off the field on the previous drive) and this is a "terrible defense?" Just checking.

Eight

Ok, so the Offense Fumbles on the TCU 4 yard line. Leads to a SMU TD
Then the offense Fumbles on the TCU 23 yard line, D holds them to a FG.
Then the offense Fumbles on the TCU 24 yard line, but the D gets an INT so no points for SMU.

So 3 Red zone turnovers and the D lets them get 10 points ( many times within minutes of getting off the field on the previous drive) and this is a "terrible defense?" Just checking.

no, but the first two defensive series were bad defense up to ross saving the day on the sneak.

i am pretty sure frogs were down the first time the offense set foot on the field and three different times in that game when the offense have cut the lead to one score smu went right down the field and opened it back to a two score lead.

the offense played bad yesterday, but there is no way that loss is solely on sonny cumbie and the offense. it has been a running joke for quite some time other teams have gary's signs and he doesn't change, just like other teams have started to figure out what he will do against specific formations. smu's first td is a perfect example

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Let's face facts: The Offense was totally and completely unprepared.

I have literally no idea what was practiced all last week, but it evidently was not football related. I expected the performance at Purdue to be a baseline, and the subsequent week to see marked improvement from the previous week. I expected to see a game plan put together to play off the strengths seen at Purdue, and the weaknesses shown by the SMUs in previous game film. I would also expect our Coaches to have looked critically at our own performance, and their own performances, and additionally at areas which might be exploited by someone intimately familiar with our methods and philosophy.

Indeed, none of this must have happened. I have literally forgotten how many times I have heard the whine, "Oh! They stole our signals!" Bejeezus! Change the damned signals! Or, better yet, do an "O'Grady Drill" and use their knowledge against them. Apparently, this type of thing is too complicated for our staff. As to the total lack of Offensive Preparation, there is no excuse. None. Ray Charles could have seen what was coming. Numerous people posted on here what SMU would likely do, yet none of our highly paid and brilliant staff seemed to have come up with such blisteringly obvious ideas themselves. Instead, what seemed to be the main topics of study in practice last week were: 1.) Blundering the mesh point. 2.) How to run lazy patterns. 3.) How to properly holler "Ole!" when a DE runs around you, and 4.) Assigned reading "The Fade: The Single Most Certain Path to Football Victory!" The Coaching staff also had a directed study hosted by the members of the Proctology Staff at the new TCU School of Medicine, "How to get your head out of your ass in under three years!" (Sonny apparently was left in the room with the lights off for too long...)

I don't blame GMFP for trotting Sonny out there. He was the one whose unit was completely unprepared and which had clearly regressed from the previous week's performance. He was the one who had designed the brilliant "Game Plan" which eschewed our evident strengths for all of the things we have consistently shown we can't do worth squat. One wonders what he'll come up with for Kansas next week...

The idea that this team would be a potential contender for the Playoff is dead with a stake through it's heart. At the level of preparation and execution we have been shown this last week, I will be surprised if we win 3 more games. Hell, Kansas is looking like a very, very competitive matchup this next Saturday, and we can't even manage a simple handoff after a week of practice with the first teamers.

I guessed 8-4 this season. I was wildly optimistic...

count frogula

Let's face facts: The Offense was totally and completely unprepared.

I have literally no idea what was practiced all last week, but it evidently was not football related. I expected the performance at Purdue to be a baseline, and the subsequent week to see marked improvement from the previous week. I expected to see a game plan put together to play off the strengths seen at Purdue, and the weaknesses shown by the SMUs in previous game film. I would also expect our Coaches to have looked critically at our own performance, and their own performances, and additionally at areas which might be exploited by someone intimately familiar with our methods and philosophy.

Indeed, none of this must have happened. I have literally forgotten how many times I have heard the whine, "Oh! They stole our signals!" Bejeezus! Change the damned signals! Or, better yet, do an "O'Grady Drill" and use their knowledge against them. Apparently, this type of thing is too complicated for our staff. As to the total lack of Offensive Preparation, there is no excuse. None. Ray Charles could have seen what was coming. Numerous people posted on here what SMU would likely do, yet none of our highly paid and brilliant staff seemed to have come up with such blisteringly obvious ideas themselves. Instead, what seemed to be the main topics of study in practice last week were: 1.) Blundering the mesh point. 2.) How to run lazy patterns. 3.) How to properly holler "Ole!" when a DE runs around you, and 4.) Assigned reading "The Fade: The Single Most Certain Path to Football Victory!" The Coaching staff also had a directed study hosted by the members of the Proctology Staff at the new TCU School of Medicine, "How to get your head out of your ass in under three years!" (Sonny apparently was left in the room with the lights off for too long...)

I don't blame GMFP for trotting Sonny out there. He was the one whose unit was completely unprepared and which had clearly regressed from the previous week's performance. He was the one who had designed the brilliant "Game Plan" which eschewed our evident strengths for all of the things we have consistently shown we can't do worth squat. One wonders what he'll come up with for Kansas next week...

The idea that this team would be a potential contender for the Playoff is dead with a stake through it's heart. At the level of preparation and execution we have been shown this last week, I will be surprised if we win 3 more games. Hell, Kansas is looking like a very, very competitive matchup this next Saturday, and we can't even manage a simple handoff after a week of practice with the first teamers.

I guessed 8-4 this season. I was wildly optimistic...
Jet = bright spot

ShadowFrog

Moderators
My side thought (not mentioned above) is GP walked SC out there to give him an example of what he would have to deal with weekly IF he has any thought on progressing beyond OC level. Whether anyone agrees with it, SC had his eyes opened wide to what’s to come IF he ever becomes a head coach.