• The KillerFrogs

The Sewo Pass Play

Shorty

I wonder what everyone would be saying if they bit on it and he lobbed it to the receiver standing wide open in the end zone? I get it, bad call and I didn’t like it either but hindsight is pretty awesome.
So many people in the recent wild frog thread were saying the formation needs a pass/pass threat because we only ever run Sewo to the right out of it.

Pharm Frog

So many people in the recent wild frog thread were saying the formation needs a pass/pass threat because we only ever run Sewo to the right out of it.

I recall that as well. "It won't be as effective if we never throw from it and only run right". Well....we still didn't throw from it.

SwissArmyFrog

So, you didn't get your sports boner taken care of, so you get personal with the guy who de-boned you and call him an MF'er.

SMDH

Cumbie showed he has no sack...and instead of running DA twice passes and then runs a pass play with our DE RB. He must despise DA.

Fire this MF today.

froggolf65

Wild Frog seemed to work best when Jeremy Kerley ran it. Never knew where he was going to run and he had a good arm when he did throw a few times.

Our current WF only is a run behind the right side and I dont think we have ever got more than 5 yds running it.

arlingtonbell

I wonder what everyone would be saying if they bit on it and he lobbed it to the receiver standing wide open in the end zone? I get it, bad call and I didn’t like it either but hindsight is pretty awesome.

I would have said its a dumb arse call that somehow worked out. You are 4th and 1 inside the red zone which means you are going to get run blitzed with man coverage on the corners. In other words none of the backers and DBS you want to trick with the cute running back rollout will be fooled cuz the backers are flying and the dbs aren't looking in the backfield anyways. Kick the FG or run a conventional damn play

I would have said its a dumb arse call that somehow worked out. You are 4th and 1 inside the red zone which means you are going to get run blitzed with man coverage on the corners. In other words none of the backers and DBS you want to trick with the cute running back rollout will be fooled cuz the backers are flying and the dbs aren't looking in the backfield anyways. Kick the FG or run a conventional damn play
Not to mention it would have just encouraged Cumbie the next time he thought about getting cute rather than just playing football.

Lone Frog

One of the stupidest calls I've ever seen. The moment Sewo started hesitating behind the line I felt dread. When his arm came up to throw I knew we were screwed. Even as he was sacked and the ball went over on downs I told my buddy that play cost us the game.

I didn't mind going for it on 4th. But as close as we were, just run it and pick up the damn first down. We had all the momentum and would have scored to bring us even. Instead, you could feel the air sucked out of the stadium and of course they ran right down the field on us afterward.

Yes, if it had worked I would have been glad, but I still would have hated the call. Just mind-numbingly bad. I wasn't on the fire Cumbie bandwagon until tonight. Now I want us to pretty much clean house on the offensive side of the ball.

McFroggin

If CGP doesn’t fire SC, I’m going to start to question whether CGP should be coaching here either. Defense looked like crap and those are the offensive plays being called? Absolute disaster. I’d wager that the average poster on here could be given a damn clipboard and do better calling plays.

Chongo94

Hell, I was one of them. Well, not in that thread, I just griped about how damn predictable we were in that formation. I just wasn’t expecting the .01% chance of running a different version/pass from that would be used in that situation.

I still don’t think my brain has fully comprehended what my eyes witnessed.

Froggish

True but that’s probably just instinctive to not just throw a ball up for grabs. Actually, bringing Delton in on 3rd down to run that lame QB draw was equally as bad probably. It’s like just sticking to basics and running variations off that isn’t allowed, gotta try and mix and match and get cute.

Throwing a ball away isn’t instinctual for a guy who shouldn’t be throwing balls at all

Atom

I heard someone defending the play call as something SMU wouldn't expect. Of course they wouldn't expect it! It was stupid. They also wouldn't expect it if our team played the game with a razor blade clenched between their butt cheeks. Doesn't mean we should do it.

Interesting analogy....