• The KillerFrogs

An Ode to TCU: The Littlest of Little Brother Schools

Purdue is a smart school...its like Georgia Tech, top notch...known for its alum becoming NASA astronauts. But being great in the books doesn't necessarily mean you are good at comedy or roasting. The writer is going so overboard on purpose as the joke but in order to do a good job you have to have wit and be funny. Obviously, this writer is not funny nor is shrewd/inventive enough to pull it off.

Last edited:

FrogAbroad

Purdue is a smart school...its like Georgia Tech, top notch...known for its alum becoming NASA astronauts. But being great in the books doesn't necessarily mean you are good at comedy or roasting. The writer is going so overboard on purpose as the joke but in order to do a good job you have to have wit and be funny. Obviously, this writer is not funny nor is shrewd/inventive enough to pull it off.
He attempted to show himself a wit. He only half succeeded.

Mean Purple

I think the guy lives in Dallas. His description of DFW is smack dead for a sizable chunk of people over there and how they think. I was shocked by how many Dallas’ites that have never been west of HWY 360. Some over there think FTW is like Waco but have never been to FTW.
Many over on the Dallas side have never really been to Fort Worth. Several have never even been up to Denton County. I know a few that went to both eventually. The response on Fort Worth was basically, "WOW, they have all sorts of great things to do. So much "real culture" ". Those that went up to Denton County were shocked to see the forested areas and the culture in Denton proper.

I am amazed how many of those people really don't know Texas outside of Dallas or trips to Austin. Crazy.

Mean Purple

http://amberpagewrites.com/2010/06/seven-things-that-suck-about-indiana.html
Your most interesting city is as boring as Law and Order (the TV show). I’m talking, of course, about Indianapolis. Home of chain restaurants, chain stores and…well, I’m sure there’s something interesting to see, but the whole town seems geared toward the Midwestern conventioneers who couldn’t afford Vegas (i.e., short on staycation fun).

Could you do something about the mullets? There are a lot of them. He-mullets, she-mullets, toddler-mullets—even old, balding guy mullets. Someday, they’ll come back in style, but for now? The mullet aficionados are making the rest of us look bad.

Mean Purple

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/11/23/5133290/ohio-state-indiana-why-you-should-hate

As a state, Indiana is just the worst

When you first have the misfortune of driving across the Indiana state line, you see signs that say INDIANA: THE CROSSROADS OF AMERICA. This is the nicest thing anybody has said about the state of Indiana. Instead of promoting a famous cultural artifact, or a statewide achievement, all Indiana can do is remind you that "WE'RE THE STATE YOU HAVE TO GET THROUGH TO GET WHERE YOU WANT TO GO".
Northern Indiana is a barren overpriced turnpike only punctuated by the gleaming metropolis of South Bend, and the occasional rest stop with a Taco Johns, because Taco Bell's cuisine was deemed too spicy and authentic for Hoosiers. Indianapolis gives you all the drawbacks of a big city with almost none of the cultural benefits. What has the rest of this state contributed? Ft.Wayne, a city whose only saving graces are the most bizarre of sport teams mascots, and producing Deshaun Thomas? Gary, a refuse of Chicago's social problem spillover that even Detroit thinks is dysfunctional?

Indiana is nothing but fast food joints, bad highways, gray skies and gloom. It is the mayonnaise of US states. It is bereft of merit, and if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes we want to drive to Chicago, we'd never go there.

Moose Stuff

http://amberpagewrites.com/2010/06/seven-things-that-suck-about-indiana.html
Your most interesting city is as boring as Law and Order (the TV show). I’m talking, of course, about Indianapolis. Home of chain restaurants, chain stores and…well, I’m sure there’s something interesting to see, but the whole town seems geared toward the Midwestern conventioneers who couldn’t afford Vegas (i.e., short on staycation fun).

Could you do something about the mullets? There are a lot of them. He-mullets, she-mullets, toddler-mullets—even old, balding guy mullets. Someday, they’ll come back in style, but for now? The mullet aficionados are making the rest of us look bad.

The most interesting city in Indiana is 110% Hawkins.

Billy Clyde

Ironic, since I'm guessing he spends a lot of time pulling it off.

Eight

The most interesting city in Indiana is 110% Hawkins.

gotta disagree with you there

images

Billy Clyde

I like that they identify with a really terrible [ the old ricardo ]tail. Had to look this up, but there are some interesting names for some boilermaker offshoots:

Imp 'n' Arn, Imperial whisky and Iron City Beer, exclusive to Pittsburgh.
Irish Car Bomb, an American pairing of a shot of Irish cream and whiskey into a glass of stout
Kopstootje ("little headbutt"), a Dutch pairing of Jenever (Dutch gin) and beer,[9] term attested 1943
U-Boot, a German pairing of vodka and beer
The Chicago Handshake, a shot of Jeppson's Malört alongside Old Style beer

I can see the author chugging Boilermakers... Also, occasionally enjoying a shot and a beer.

Deep Purple

I've been to Indiana twice. Once, just driving through the decrepit northwest corner en route from Chicago to Michigan. But on another occasion, a short business trip to Indianapolis. Spent a whole week there one day.

Purdue's version of the "little ball of hate".

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2019/9/10/20858876/purdue-tcu-this-is-a-rivalry

611909146.jpg.0.jpg

Ed Note: Chris lives in Texas and knows a lot about the various Texas schools. Even though we have not played TCU in 49 years and the staff of H&R is generally ambivalent to TCU, Chris has some stuff to share from his experience.

Over here in the Big Ten, I know various schools love to throw around the “Little Brother” title: Michigan does it to Michigan State, for some reason that school in Bloomington who hasn’t beaten Purdue in a revenue sport in over 1,000 days tries to call Purdue one as well.

But guys, let me tell you that the biggest — err littlest — little brother, maybe in the entire world, is TCU (or as they are sometimes referred to, their full name: Texas Clown University).

(And no, we’re not referring to the real TCU: Teachers Credit Union.)

I know most of you don’t have the “honor” of living in Texas, so you never hear about TCU, because for the most part Texas serves as a containment state to hold in all of America’s bad ideas, but as an insider, let me tell you: TCU really sucks. Let’s count the ways.

1. Their Conference - The Big XII is the little brother of the Power Five: No TV network (oh, I’m sorry, they’ll point out that they have Longhorn Network. Imagine if Purdue was proud about, say, Ohio State having their own TV network).
  2. Their location - Fort Worth is the little brother in the “Metroplex”, the self-appointed name for the area that includes Dallas. You may think that means that only Dallas is Fort Worth’s big brother, but Fort Worth has already lost the game against Arlington (home of way more entertainment options [AT&T Stadium, Globe Life Park/Field, and Texas Live] than Fort Worth). Not only that, but they’re quickly becoming second fiddle to Frisco, which has an MLS team and minor league baseball and hockey teams. Fort Worth has... the world’s largest honky tonk?
  3. Their Fans - These are the kind of people who think Barstool is too intellectual. They’re the kind of chuds who post crap like this on Twitter:
trash.jpg

Pathetic
(For the record, Toth was arrested in 2013 [nearly the last time the Horned Frogs were relevant in football] and we’re all happy to see him rot away in jail for the rest of his life irrespective of school affiliation)

4. Their Football Program - These guys STILL cry about 2014, when they beat #4 ranked Oklahoma in week 4, an Oklahoma team that ended up unranked. Then they beat #15 ranked Oklahoma State, who also ended up unranked. The Big XII itself went 2-5 in the bowl season, the worst of any conference (below the Sun Belt!) that year, yet they still think they “deserve” a chance over someone else, but not naming names (because #4 OSU won the national championship and #3 FSU was undefeated, that leaves just Bama or Oregon, both with much stronger resumes).

5. Their Football Legacy - Their claim to fame is the #6 rusher in NFL history. I guess that’s okay. It’s not the NFL’s all-time passing leader. It’s not the QB of the only perfect team in NFL history. But it’s good stuff for a school that has played in four conferences over twenty years in a desperate attempt to get people to like them.

Is that enough reasons? TCU is just sad. It’s the school that pretends to be old money, but that school is over on the other side of town in SMU. Instead, it gets the Tommy Boys of the world, the nouveau-rich kids who are too afraid to go too far away from mommy and daddy. At $50,000 a year, you get a school that’s 40 spots lower on US News and World Report’s rankings than Purdue ($9,992 in-state!). You’ve probably never met a TCU grad outside of DFW, because their lack of ambition keeps them from moving out of the area.

The lame “Horned Frog” isn’t even a frog! Their mascot is such a pathetic animal that it’s most famous for being able to squirt blood out of its eyes when it’s scared. And TCU, being a school that’s devoid of any culture or history, embraces it by painting their goal line red.

TCU is such a little brother, nobody even notices them. In the tier of Texas Football schools, the list goes something like this:

1. Texas A&M [yeah, I said it], who doesn’t even think about
  2. Texas, who couldn’t care any less about (instead Texas is Back meme here)
  3. Baylor, who really should be focused on other things so can’t even spend any energy thinking about
  4. TCU
If we were putting other Texas schools in the hierarchy, SMU would be in Tier 3, Allen High School, home of America’s most expensive HS football stadium, is Tier 3.5.

TCU is such a little brother, their fans got all in a tizzy when our compatriot Juan mis-attributed the winner of last year’s Cheez-It Bowl, a bowl game that even Golf Digest had to point out was the worst ever.

TCU is such a little brother, they’ll act all mad that we’re calling them out on this, but behind closed doors be proud that finally SOMEONE is noticing them. The good news is we have a few days before a TCU alum can find someone who can read this article to them.

I can’t wait until Saturday. I hope we beat them by 100.

Do they know TCU has as many Rose Bowl wins as they do, despite not even being tied to the Rose Bowl?

HToady

He's right about the conference network. The Big 12 is bush league.

Not that Purdue is the reason there's a BTN though......

Purp

God did have a tendency to favor the younger brothers in the OT: Ephraim, Jacob and even Joseph was the second youngest of Jacob's sons.
I'm pretty sure Isaac and Solomon were also the youngest. I know there are others, but they don't immediately come to mind. I've noticed that tendency also.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I think the guy lives in Dallas. His description of DFW is smack dead for a sizable chunk of people over there and how they think. I was shocked by how many Dallas’ites that have never been west of HWY 360. Some over there think FTW is like Waco but have never been to FTW.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Or care, probably. Just trying to sell a fake narrative that makes you feel good about yourself, somehow. Superior, somehow. As if that's possible.

There are few Dallasites Steel knows who consider it anything other than a good place to make money. Everyone in Dallas dreams about retiring -- away from Dallas. The idea that people in Dallas are somehow provincial about Dallas and don't know about Ft Worth is ludicrous and demonstrates nothing other than the writer's bias and ignorance.

Now if you were talking about that S hole Houston, that'd be a horse of a different feather...

Finally, regarding Indiana and how much it sucks -- its economy is half that of the DFW MSA.

Last edited:

BABYFACE

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Or care, probably. Just trying to sell a fake narrative that makes you feel good about yourself, somehow. Superior, somehow. As if that's possible.

There are few Dallasites Steel knows who consider it anything other than a good place to make money. Everyone in Dallas dreams about retiring -- away from Dallas. The idea that people in Dallas are somehow provincial about Dallas and don't know about Ft Worth is ludicrous and demonstrates nothing other than the writer's bias and ignorance.

Now if you were talking about that S hole Houston, that'd be a horse of a different feather...

Finally, regarding Indiana and how much it sucks -- its economy is half that of the DFW MSA.
Nope Steel. The people I described to do exist in Dallas. I have worked with them. I am not the only here at this board that has experienced it.