• The KillerFrogs

Doesn’t Seem Like 18 Years

Wexahu

Never forget...

Between the time about when the Pentagon hit and a couple hours after that was so incredibly eerie. Didn't know what might be coming next because nobody had time yet to process exactly what was going on. Not to minimize what happened at all but compared to the thoughts I had of what might have been happening, it almost pales in comparison.

jake102

I was in 6th or 7th grade and my dad was on a plane to Boston that morning. They came and pulled me out of class, fortunately wasn’t his plane. They emergency landed in Cincinnati or something and he had to drive a rental car home with other passengers

FrogCop19

I remember I was working midnight shift at TCU at the time as an officer. I woke up a little past nine when my sister called me in hysterics. I remember running out to the TV and sitting there on my coffee table for the next six hours, not moving, not eating. I remember I called in to the PD to see if they needed any help. It was like watching an action movie in real time.

But in all honesty, what I remember MOST is the next few weeks, how you couldn't find an American flag anywhere in all the stores, because they had all been bought up. I remember homeless people walking down the line of cars there at Berry and University, passing out flags to hang from vehicle windows or stick in your front yard. I remember politicians singing on the steps of the capitol building, and I remember people being nicer on the road, letting people in when previously they would have just cut them off or ignored them and moved on with their day. I remember the love and unity, the likes of which hasn't been seen in this country before. Or since.

I agree we should never forget, but we also should never forget how, for a few brief moments, we were a community. A truly United States.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
My house in Houston at the time was in a flight path to and from IAH. It was so weird not seeing/hearing planes for the days following that.

I remember that day in Houston was more like Phoenix, hot and very dry, no humidity. And for a city with two airports it was almost impossible to look up and not see planes. Agree it was very eerie. Got eerier when the silence was broken by two F16s with full wing loads flying over every 15 minutes keeping an air cap over the city.

BABYFACE

I was in 6th or 7th grade and my dad was on a plane to Boston that morning. They came and pulled me out of class, fortunately wasn’t his plane. They emergency landed in Cincinnati or something and he had to drive a rental car home with other passengers
Glad that your father was not on one of those doomed flight.

BABYFACE

That day had an impact on my path in life.

I was driving up to the donut shop and heard about the first plane that hit the WTC on the radio. Drove back and was glued to the TV for the next 4 hours. I was wondering what kind of world we were becoming with my first born just being 6 months old.

Found out a few days later that a new job I had taken was no longer available due to post reaction by business after 9/11. I had given a month’s notice to my prior job and served it out. I played it where I had two weeks off before starting my new job. 9/11 happened in that second week. I ended up in a different career path, the new home industry a month later. I haven’t run restaurants in 18 years and counting.

Last edited:

SuperBarrFrog

I was in the basement of the TCU Library cramming for a test. When I came up to go to class everything was crazy and we were told to go home that all classes were cancelled. We all went home and watched the news at my apartment the rest of the day and drank beers. It was a surreal and sad sad day b

Horned Toad

I remember picking up my 3 year old daughter (who is now a TCU senior) at the Montessori school in downtown Fort Worth. I was worried that some nut would plow a plane into one of the Bass Tower buildings that overlooked her school. I remember the police had all the entrances to downtown blocked and I was stopped on my way in and told I couldn’t go any farther. I told the cop, look my daughter is in that school under the tower and if I have to abandon my truck right here and walk through your barricade I’m going in to get her. He pulled the barricade back and waved me on through without another word.

My daughter was so excited that I was picking her up and taking her to lunch at the McDonald’s on Camp Bowie and Montgomery St. They had the coverage on the TV when we walked in and sat down and she asked me “What happened daddy?” I remember telling her that some very bad people had really messed up.

MTfrog5

Was in 4th grade and had just got done getting ready for school when the 2nd plane hit on TV. Ran into the living room where my mom was watching GMA with tears in her eyes. School was strange that day with kids getting picked up with their parents all day. My dad was staying next door to the base in San Diego for a conference so that was a little worrisome and surreal for him. Our country will never be together like that again imo

FrogCop19

The 9/11 memorial and exhibit is a must if you’re ever in NYC. I’m not sure I said a word the 3-4 hours we were there
Agreed. Hundreds of people, and you could hear a pin drop. I was there just this spring. My wife is an orchestra director here in San Antonio, and her group played in Carnegie Hall, which was pretty damn awesome in and of itself. We had a bit of time to explore, and that was one of our destinations. Found myself tearing up in the memorial, full-on crying at the reflection pools.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
We live just a couple of miles from what was Ellington AFB south of Houston. Seeing F-16s with white ones on the rails was... interesting. A little known story from that day was that AF-1 was flying around the sky above Louisiana and Mississippi, and Bush asked for his old unit, the 147th (based out of Ellington) to fly CAP for AF-1.

It was very odd to notice the lack of air traffic, as if a tree had been removed from your yard: There is suddenly something gone that you saw but did not observe on a daily basis.

Mrs. Brewingfrog's Folks were on a flight back to the States from Europe when the attacks happened. They were flown back to Portugal and put up in a nice hotel for a while. The local people brought them food, gifts and all manner of sympathy. It was very moving to them both.

That morning, I was at my office, reading some (at that time) new things called "blogs" in addition to the old Frog Fan Forum. There was some strange headline on Instapundit about a plane hitting one of the Towers. Then, shortly thereafter, another. Right then, I knew it was an attack rather than an accident. Just intellectually running through various scenarios gave a likely course of how they did it, but I didn't at that time feel the emotional weight of it all. That came when I went back home to find my wife in tears, and an image on the TV of a 767 flying at full throttle into the 2nd Tower. At that very moment, absolute and incandescent rage flooded through me. We were attacked. Thousands of innocents killed. This could not go unpunished.

That emotion has not faded a whit.

Some things you never forget.....I vividly remember sitting in front of our family fireplace when the radio announcement

that the Japanese had attack Pearl Harbor occurred.

Zubaz

It was a Tuesday, so I was in an 8:00 class that didn't get out until 9:20 when everything went down, didn't notice anything was wrong until I went to Frog Bytes and saw an unusually large crowd around a sign said "Celebrate the Ba'Hai faith with us" and thought "Huh, I had no idea there were that many Ba'hai's at TCU...." Of course, they were really around the television. The only thing I saw live was the second tower coming down, which was at 9:28 Eastern.

Crazy day.

TX_Krötenechse

Pretty crazy how much change the US has been through since 2001.

Two recessions. Two of the worst presidents in history (maybe three depending on who you’re asking). An entire generation of kids who have grown up not knowing a US at peace. In the next months we’ll have soldiers deploying to war zones that have existed since before they were born. The Patriot Act, the development and deployment of drone technology for war, the US maintaining perpetual prison camps on foreign soil, etc ... 9/11 is the turning point for all of US history after WW2, and most of it has been for the worse.